Anybody here driving a Tesla?

I have only read about Tesla's build quality issues. The one my wife drives and at least 4 others I've been into seemed fine to me.
In fact we traveled to Bratislava and Kosice from Praha in my wife's vehicle.
It only glitched once...wasn't starting ( after we lazily left it out in the open and it snowed like crazy..the cold is terrible in this part)
But I am no expert in cars, but it's a very comfortable ride and here we have plenty of charging stations ( destination charger..rough translation from Czech)
I've driven second hand cars all my life buddies...not decided on anything yet...but will probably buy a new one once we get back home. If not a Tesla, at least some mid range decent non Japanese car.
It won't be an impulsive purchase ( unlike EVERYTHING somewhat expensive I bought, mostly audio gears) and I have never purchased anything expensive except our new house in Prague.

Last edited:
I think there's someone on Team BHP with a Tesla Model 3 who has been diligently posting about his ownership experience over there. Have a look here, might help you (the guy's not based in India btw).

Tesla has issues on fit and finish , that is the gap between body panels ,door lines don't match etc but it has great range and drives well that you know .

You could always go for Skoda Enyaq thats your home grown and proper european car . One great thing about Tesla is the battery which provides you range which is the most important .Another Important thing would the plug which is standard all over europe for fast charging.

regarding the small glitch that you faced , they have fixed in recent model

Last edited:
I've checked the Tesla S my wife has VERY THROUGHLY...it looked perfectly fine to my inexperienced eyes.
However she's really careful about car safety in general as she travels with the kid a lot ( never driven any Japanese car in her life!!)
And honestly most Czechs don't trust Skoda. I can wait for Rimac C_Two... actually at least 3 of my car enthusiast colleagues are waiting out for it.
Skoda situation confuses me, isn't it considered a pretty good car manufacturer in India?
If you buy a Skoda here, people make fun of you ( specially in UK, when we were in London, bought a used Octavia...a very common car...all my friends started pulling my legs with Skoda jokes...it wasn't a bad car though and had a hard time selling it even with a major loss just after 10 months)

Last edited:
What's with the aversion to Japanese cars?
They make some of the most reliable cars world over. But yes, at least in Europe, you should transition over to electric cars for their perceived benefits.

Since you already have a Tesla at home, why not try some other brands and categories. Mercedes has recently come out with their all electric EQC. If you can afford and have the inclination for a sports car, you can look at Porsche Taycan as well. It's a proper driver's car but all electric.
As for the Rimac C2, it will cost upwards of 1.5 million Euros. Won't that be too much for someone who isn't enthusiastic about cars, and nothing to say about how exclusive that car will be. You can buy all three, Merc EQC, Porsche Taycan and Tesla S and still save more than a million euros.

Last edited:
I've checked the Tesla S my wife has VERY THROUGHLY...it looked perfectly fine to my inexperienced eyes.
However she's really careful about car safety in general as she travels with the kid a lot ( never driven any Japanese car in her life!!)
And honestly most Czechs don't trust Skoda. I can wait for Rimac C_Two... actually at least 3 of my car enthusiast colleagues are waiting out for it.
Skoda situation confuses me, isn't it considered a pretty good car manufacturer in India?
If you buy a Skoda here, people make fun of you ( specially in UK, when we were in London, bought a used Octavia...a very common car...all my friends started pulling my legs with Skoda jokes...it wasn't a bad car though and had a hard time selling it even with a major loss just after 10 months)
SKODA is poor mans sedan in india compared to the german cars and even in general globally i guess
this is a very interesting bit "And honestly most Czechs don't trust Skoda" <<< could you explain why

I am confused about the practicality of the steering wheel though!
I am confused about the practicality of the steering wheel though!
Why? You can drive it like a completely normal car..that's what I do all the time.

You just press the break pedal to kind of wake the car, but the engine doesn't do anything until the car is actually moving.

There is a stem like structure beside the steering wheel, you push it to enter drive mode ( it's still not moving), now you press the accelerator gently ( a lot gentler than what I do with my Honda), from there on it's like any automatic car. But the braking mechanism is awesome, you will press the brakes, but will realise soon it's not a normal braking mechanism ( it's the best thing I love about this car) I can't really explain it in words, but it works brilliantly.

After reaching your destination, you just stop, put the car in park mode, walk away...no need to kill the engine.

It's so freaking easy!! Autopilot mode simply takes care of steer, acceleration and brake ONLY WITHIN YOUR LANE.

There's an autosteer+ mode, which I never touch!!
WTF!! Can't edit the duplicate posts!! Sorry.
this is a very interesting bit "And honestly most Czechs don't trust Skoda" <<< could you explain why
No idea!! There are certain things I still do not understand about them. Their sense of patriotism is different from Indians. And no matter how long I live with them, how much I know about their values and belief systems, I was born and raised in a typical Indian family and I simply do not understand certain things (like the obsession over rotten rancid cheese!!! Something our kid loves!!!!!)
What's with the aversion to Japanese cars?
They make some of the most reliable cars world over. But yes, at least in Europe, you should transition over to electric cars for their perceived benefits.

Since you already have a Tesla at home, why not try some other brands and categories. Mercedes has recently come out with their all electric EQC. If you can afford and have the inclination for a sports car, you can look at Porsche Taycan as well. It's a proper driver's car but all electric.
As for the Rimac C2, it will cost upwards of 1.5 million Euros. Won't that be too much for someone who isn't enthusiastic about cars, and nothing to say about how exclusive that car will be. You can buy all three, Merc EQC, Porsche Taycan and Tesla S and still save more than a million euros.
True...and the production of the Rimac C_Two will be very limited, but I MAY get a major discount ( nothing illegal, a stakeholder is related to my father in law and that guy`s daughter was a student of mine, who supposedly can arrange for some major discount) It will be around 1.2M in market after first lot. But yes, it is a lot of money and which I probably won't spend on a car.

Last edited:
so ,how did EU regulatory allow it , because i think EU regulatory actually works for the peoples benefit and hammer the big organizations on their stupid practices mal-practices

Allow what? Skoda? Simple, most Skoda cars actually pass the safety norms. But I don't think Skoda sells all their cars here ( they have India specific cars)

No idea
Well, the Dutch government is ok with it ( they are pretty strict with cars and you can't buy some popular cars there)

Last edited:
so ,how did EU regulatory allow it , because i think EU regulatory actually works for the peoples benefit and hammer the big organizations on their stupid practices mal-practices
They haven't. The US regulators are already raising their eyebrows over it. There are rumours that this might be just a gimmick and they will revert back to a normal steering wheel.

They haven't. The US regulators are already raising their eyebrows over it. There are rumours that this might be just a gimmick and they will revert back to a normal steering wheel.
when i saw that yoke steering ,i thought they have come up with mercedes DAS system for better turn in in :p silly me

Back