Anyone have experience with induction cooktops?

Santa Maria!

Disciple
So I recently got to know about these things and they sound kinda nice for some quick milk-boiling and some light food preparation. (Of course, the downside being the dependence on constant-electricity-flow).

I have my eyes on this seemingly cheap one from flipkart which has generally positive reviews: Bajaj Majesty ICX 6 WOV Induction Cook Top

What do you think about it spec/quality-wise?

And besides that, I learned that only a certain category of cookware can be used with these things... cookware marked "induction base". Do you folks know of any cheap deals for induction cookware from online? Or is it better to go to a local store for these?

It's been a bit hard to find out whether cookware shown on letsbuy.com and homeshop18.com are induction base or not, but yebhi.com seems to mention this thing in their product description.
So anyone have any input on the results shown here?: Yebhi Induction Cookware search results

Any other wise words are appreciated too.

@Santa Maria

I have that exact Bajaj model. You do require Induction base cookware. But don't worry, the cost is same of the non-induction cookware. The diff being they have an iron base at the bottom. Better get the cookware in a shops. Prestige kadai will be 1k for non-stick. You may get a whole set including kadai, tawa, frying pan. You can cook all type of food like Gas oven except those which require direct fire. The working principle of induction cooktop is that they directly transfer the heat to the cookware and that's why you need induction base cookware ( e.g. magnetic base like iron). You may get the cooktop as well as the cookwares from a shop since you might get some good discount.

Let me know if you have any other question. :)

We've been using induction cooktops for over three years now. It is a routine thing in my kitchen. And no, it is not relegated to just boiling water/milk. We do most of our cooking in them.
Routine stainless steel cookware will work without any problems. Aluminium and copper based vessels do not work. But stainless steel works like a charm. My brother has the same ICX6, and I have the other variant, ICX7. Both are excellent cooktops, the only major difference being the maximum power (greater in ICX7).

Aren't those cookers uses high amount of electricity?
Saw somewhere - 1200W or something.
So, whats the effect on electricity bill with regular usage?
Compared to 14.5kg gas cylinder at 400 bucks.

Wattage x Hours Used Per Day / 1000 = Daily Kilowatt-hour (kWh) consumption (1 kWh = 1 unit of electricity)

Based on this formula, 1200W x 1 hour = 1.2 units per day. This is assuming that you are using the device at full capacity for one hour each day. In reality, I use the cooktop at about 300W power for not more than 30 to 45 mins each day, At the most, it would consume not more than 1 unit per day, which is acceptable IMO. LPG would work out cheaper most definitely, but induction cooktops offer convenience and safety. It would be wise if you use both induction as well as LPG depending on the type of cooking required.

i bought the same cooktop from letsbuy abt a year back for my hostel room , with free 3 set of cookwares, working fine, m very happy with it for my evening tea, maggi and soups :p

Induction cooking is new and good technology. i have one from "NEEDX" costs only Rs.1100/= actually these induction units are imported from china and all are same whether of any company. Brands like bajaj only print their names on it and charging very high. I know because i am corrugated box manufacturer and i supply box to some of the local companies like "Bakeman, NeedX" and many more. And fr the utensil u can use anyone which is of steel or has steel base same as in the case of pressure cooker which has steel base at the bottom.

Wattage x Hours Used Per Day / 1000 = Daily Kilowatt-hour (kWh) consumption (1 kWh = 1 unit of electricity)

Based on this formula, 1200W x 1 hour = 1.2 units per day. This is assuming that you are using the device at full capacity for one hour each day. In reality, I use the cooktop at about 300W power for not more than 30 to 45 mins each day, At the most, it would consume not more than 1 unit per day, which is acceptable IMO. LPG would work out cheaper most definitely, but induction cooktops offer convenience and safety. It would be wise if you use both induction as well as LPG depending on the type of cooking required.
Sorry for digging this thread up. I have been having an discussion (arguement! :p) with my sister over this. With the increasing LPG prices (and now the Aadhar BS), we have been reliant on private gas connection which lasts over 2 mths. So I suggested to buy an induction cooker. Now the discussion is over the electricity consumption and LPG usage (as something needs fire to be cooked).
How much change is there in the electricity bill when using induction cookers? And though usage stats will vary from person to person, how much LPG usage have you been able to cut down.

^ As others have pointed out, if you use a IC for an hours time on full power, expect to pay about 10 rs per hour for the electricity (YMMV - depends on the rate for electricity). I would suggest to get one anyways - then see for yourselves. The cookware is the issue.

We are a family of 2. Before we got induction cooktop, our LPG cylinder used to last 2.5 - 3 months. After the cooker, our electricity consumption shop up by 20-25 units a month. However, now the LPG cylinder lasts for 6-7 months. Based on the electricity rate, do the math.

Regards,
Mohit

Electricity is always costlier compared to lpg. 1 cylinder of Lpg @ current rate of about 450, lasting for 2 months = about 225 a month. Induction cooker will cost minimum of 180pm @ rs 6 per unit for 30 units a month. More units consumed = higher bill and rates.

Country needs more cheaper source of power to make electricity a cheap, viable alternative for cooking.

Electricity is always costlier compared to lpg. 1 cylinder of Lpg @ current rate of about 450, lasting for 2 months = about 225 a month. Induction cooker will cost minimum of 180pm @ rs 6 per unit for 30 units a month. More units consumed = higher bill and rates.

Country needs more cheaper source of power to make electricity a cheap, viable alternative for cooking.
Yep, but for people on private connection it is much costlier - 1000-1200 . I am trying for a connection but not going to get an Aadhar card. Handing over biometric details to a private agency, pay full amounts for the gas and get rest credited are some concerns I have. So induction and gas is a better option.

Actually government is moving towards removing gas subsidy completely by 2015. So aadhar seems like scam now to me. Just another money making venture by corporate and govt collaboration. :mad:

Actually government is moving towards removing gas subsidy completely by 2015. So aadhar seems like scam now to me. Just another money making venture by corporate and govt collaboration. :mad:
Not to forget the huge database of bio metric data. I am still not convinced the reasons being given for collecting that data. Some people to whom i talk about this say- oh so you are going to commit some crime in the future that's why reluctant on submitting your data :p

I had actually worked out the comparison between different modes of cooking, which is still relevant today (till there is a drastic change in the prices).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...74-home-appliance-thread-241.html#post3094935
Interesting and that lpg would be more economical is intuitive. Induction seems more of a compliment to LPG than a replacement. Or for niche uses like in an hostel or office (flat electricty rates). They have microwave ovens anyway.

Was talking to some people and the stove is on 4-5 hrs a day. The cylinder lasts 1.5 months on avg.

Tricky bit here is how many units would be consumed in that duration per day. If its 2-3 units, then your electricity cost is nearing Rs.1k extra. Do bear in mind once you get pushed into higher slab rates, then your per unit cost for every other device also increases. You don't want to get into higher slab rates if you can avoid it. Flat rates make more sense for induction.

Whereas the cylinder is ~400. Your cooking cost just doubled with induction.

What about mix, does the combo of stove+ lpg result in lower costs over time. You still have to break even the cost of the stove. It does not seem very interesting to me other than the novelty of fine grained control factor. Or for people that move around the country a lot.

Last edited:
I need some help guys. I recently got a Bajaj Induction cooker Majesty ICX7 through an ebay promotion. Unfortunately, when it arrived, the manual was not inside. The box was sealed but slightly torn at places, so I guess it must have somehow fallen off, in handling. The cooker and the Kadhai however, was alright. Since me and my mom, do not have any prior experience in cooking using induction cooktops, it would be great if somebody could scan their user manual and mail it to me.

I got phillips induction stove - worked great for 1 year and suddenly one day it didnt turn ON - took it to a local shop and he replaced something for Rs 220 - said it was due to high voltage spike or something -
working great ever since - very cheap to fix these things and it hardly took 10 mins - also you dont need to get expensive specialized induction cookwares - just get a any flat bottomed eversilver utensils based on your requirements - this is the one we got :
http://www.flipkart.com/philips-hd4...9ZTY&ref=96f30e3e-8665-4967-82dc-d9ccedd530e0
it is not power hungry also - no significant change in our power bills - very good product.

I stopped using LPG completely after cooking with induction cooker. It seemed easier, faster and safer... and sometimes even fun :)
I still have the gas top but only used as a backup. I cook for two people and my last month bill was 414. I also have 195l refrigerator, an instant water heater and a laptop.
After using it for more than two years, the frequently used buttons(clickable-nokia 1100 comes to my mind) in my Prestige PIC 1.0 have worn out and are not working anymore. I would consider one with touch controls for the same reason.

Back