Anyone having Synology NAS Experience in India

panks21

Recruit
Hi There

I have been using public cloud to backup stuff. I have purchased the Microsoft OneDrive Premium plan which gives 1TB storage along with various other perks, but that's limited to my account. Off lately I was thinking to move all the stuff to my home by purchasing a Synology NAS. The internet connection at home are now quite fast and reliable these days, so accessing stuff from outside my home should not be an issue.
I watched a few videos where people have rated Synology over others like QNAP or WD MyCloud.
I have a family of 5 with 3 laptops, 5 smartphones, 1 Ipad. All should be backed up
Here is what I was thinking to buy
Synlogy NS220J with 2 x 4TB Ironwolf drives.

Need some advice on Synology postsales support

I have very limited knowledge about storage, hence need guidance

FIGGY JAM

Disciple
I am also thinking of buying Synology NAS. I already own 4 TB data in two external drives.

Arya

Adept
I haven't seen Synology with many sellers here so unsure of support. Whatever is available is super overpriced. Since you're using drives of same capacity, I assume running in RAID 1, QNAP, WD, Asus are all good alternatives. QNAP and WD are widely available with sellers. For 2 bay systems it doesn't really make a difference. Just look for warranty and gigabit lan. If you have a mac, look for timemachine support. After this, its just whichever offers good pricepoint.

Synology makes more sense if you have a lot of disks or future need. Some of the NAS units can be expanded by adding more storage units. Another advantage with synology is btrfs/hybrid raid which allows to use drives of varying capacity in the same NAS and utilise most of the storage space.

panks21

Recruit
Thanks @Arya. There is one more reason for Synology which is missing in WD that is ability to run VM and Docker Containers. The model I chose NS220J doesn't have that so I have to go with a higher model. I will have to go with 220+ or equivalent. I am aware that they are expensive but if I buy additional server to run the VMs and Containers, combined price will be similar..
Are you aware if QNAP or ASUS has the capability to run VMs? I am sure WD hasn't

vivek.krishnan

If you cant see the green dot, I'm offline :P
Veteran
Could you specify what do you want to exactly do? As in what backups you want to store? This would allow us to give you an idea on what to buy or do a DIY. Also how many users.

The entry level Synology devices do not come with advanced features, but they can backup the data that you store on it to the cloud.

If you want to run docker and etc, I would suggest to pickup a RPi4 with 4GB and setup the same. For VMs, etc, instead move to Proxmox/ESXi or Windows 10 with Hyper V.

At the end of the day, i would instead suggest to use Google Photos for the photos clicked on the phone, Whatsapp will do backup to Drive or iCloud (dunno if latter is free, former is free for Android). For the laptops i think you can get away with 2-3 O365 Home Premium licenses, which will make it much cheaper if taken in sharing ~ 2.7K approx yearly. A RPI can easily do the NAS duties with external HDD.

mk76

Adept
Could you specify what do you want to exactly do? As in what backups you want to store? This would allow us to give you an idea on what to buy or do a DIY. Also how many users.

The entry level Synology devices do not come with advanced features, but they can backup the data that you store on it to the cloud.

If you want to run docker and etc, I would suggest to pickup a RPi4 with 4GB and setup the same. For VMs, etc, instead move to Proxmox/ESXi or Windows 10 with Hyper V.

At the end of the day, i would instead suggest to use Google Photos for the photos clicked on the phone, Whatsapp will do backup to Drive or iCloud (dunno if latter is free, former is free for Android). For the laptops i think you can get away with 2-3 O365 Home Premium licenses, which will make it much cheaper if taken in sharing ~ 2.7K approx yearly. A RPI can easily do the NAS duties with external HDD.
@vivek.krishnan how about a cheap NUC. Is it good to run 24x7 ?

vivek.krishnan

If you cant see the green dot, I'm offline :P
Veteran
@vivek.krishnan how about a cheap NUC. Is it good to run 24x7 ?

Ideally no. Instead look at the small form factor PCs from Dell/Lenovo which have proper fans and cooling. Optionally, look at desktops as well, but the power draw will be on the higher side.

If you still want to stick to NUCs, ensure you have some extra cooling for it. I know of one case where the m2 and HDD inside a NUC sorta died.