Mac OS Anyone here using Setapp

Hello!

Got it on Stacksocial at a decent discount, but I found I didn’t use it as much as I thought I would. There are some nice apps, but not all were useful for me.

For instance, I found shottr to be a better screenshot and annotation app than Xnapper. Shottr is entirely free.

So, after the period ended, I didn’t renew, and I didn’t feel I was missing anything either.

I stumbled on this thread looking for the same idea. Setpp 4 people family comes out to 54$/year and I use a few apps from SetApp including:t

BetterTouchTool, CleanShotX, Swish, Bartender and a few others. I can't decide if I should buy the apps directly or use SetApp as some apps only provide 1 year of updates or major version updates only with the license and require you to get another license for the next release.

that would be awesome. i do have an edu account but it's still cheaper with family plan
it looks like the "Power User" pack is even cheaper but at the cost of sharing the same account

Last edited:
I ended up calculating the price of individual apps that I use and found out it's much cheaper to pay for the apps directly. For context:

iStat Menus Family Pack: ~17$
Better Touch Tool Lifetime: ~22$
Swish: 300 INR
Cleanshot X: 20$ for first year, 8$/year afterwards if you want more updates (i feel like this is a really scummy pricing scheme. as good as the app is, I have decided to stick with Shottr that does 90% of the things and is free: https://shottr.cc/)
AlDente Pro: 2.1k INR for lifetime

Dropped Bartender until they find a way to do what they do on Sonoma and it also feels like they ask too much for such a simple functionality.
Let me know what you all think about this.

Pulled the trigger and joined last week, per slot slot pricing is coming down to almost 350 per month. So far CleanMyMac X, AlDente Pro, Bartender is what I have installed.

I hope to find some other gems out there not including iStat Menus since I already had it's license but for those who don't it's a must have.

@Natin JFYI: this is not to critique your purchase but a general overview

Onyx by Titanium Software is a free alternative to CleanMyMacX and does more.

Aldente Pro lifetime is 2118 INR and installation upto 3 Macs.

Bartender has problems with Sonoma right now and relies on a hack right now.

other apps that are nice are CleanShotX and Xsnapper. BetterTouchTool is also amazing but is cheaper by itself.

for everything other app on setapp, i find that there are better, free alternatives.

I have used Onyx for years but never found it did anything substantial maybe I am not that of a pro user it's targeted for.

CleanMyMac X also comes with uninstaller which I find it functions really well and better than free alternatives like AppCleaner.

It also comes with Malware removal if it counts so yeah it offers much more then just what Onyx did.

How is the uninstaller on CleanMyMacX better than AppCleaner? They both do the same thing. Btw Raycast also an app uninstaller built in that does the same thing.

1692168901507.png

> Malware removal

Maybe consider me a skeptic or I am not up to date on the info but is there any evidence / any cases on the internet where CMM X caught any malware for real?

There are instances where AppCleaner has left traces of an application which have already been uninstalled. This is from my own experience, not saying it's a bad app per se.

Malware removal for Mac is very vague but it's a service not the less that is offered which is a plus.

Back