Anyone interested in Moto Atrix 4G?

Mods, please delete this if it's not the right section. I really don't know where to put this thread.

So I will be coming back to India in May (May 20th to be precise) and would like to know if anyone was interested in getting a phone from U.S. for cheap? (something like Moto Atrix or whichever you want). I will buy it on contract here on my account, and you will have to pay the subsidized amount PLUS the data plan charges for 2 years. Data plan for 2 years will cost you $360 and the subsidized phone generally costs anywhere between $150-$200. So total comes to around $560 which is still quite cheap I guess.

I am not asking you to pay any extra amount. Just pay me the equivalent INR. Reason I want to do this is, that way I can get a used unlocked phone here and pay just the data charges. That way it's a WIN-WIN for both of us. You get the phone for cheap and I pay less money here. Anyone interested, please PM me.

amol_cool said:
Reason I want to do this is, that way I can get a used unlocked phone here and pay just the data charges.

I didn't understood this.

Also if has to pay equivalent INR, then for $560, it is some around 24.7K, that's the one frigging deal !

@OP: $560 is about 25k, right? When, where and how does one go about paying you?

Will the phone be unlocked (or unlockable) - how to go about unlocking it?

The phone can be unlocked for anywhere between 20 ~ 40$. Check madnav's thread for more info. But how many can one bring without customs questioning? And when madnav tried to have the seller of his phone get AT&T to give the unlock code, they weren't forthcoming. Iirc, only one such success was reported. Have seen couple of Atrix's on sale in eBay without the battery door for 475 which with shipping would come to 510$. Moto is due to release its battery door for the Atrix this month - should cost 40$ shipped. This is for an unlocked unit.

Oh great. I didn't expect people would show this much interest. Ok let me explain you how it works here so that it's not confusing.

1. A Phone say, iPhone 4, costs about $200 here on contract (you all must be knowing this).

2. We pay $15/month at least at data charges for 2 years.

3. Now, if I were to get a unlocked phone/off contract phone, even then I HAVE To pay at least $15/month as data charges. They are called as "smartphone" charges.

4. So no matter whether I go with contract or without contract, I HAVE to pay $15/month for as long as I use smartphone and not just 2 years. But this point is not really relevant to you.

What I want to do is, buy a phone and then sell it in India. You will have to pay the phone's upfront cost that I pay and the data charges for 2 years that comes with contract. That runs at max $560. Since I will buy a phone on my account on contract, I will HAVE to pay AT&T 2 years of data charges whether I use the phone or not. Thereafter, it's up to me. So part of the $560 will go towards that. ($360 to be precise). Rest, of the $560, I can use to get a cheap used unlocked phone here (not a smartphone) and thus save money there! It's not really great savings but I figured out this way I can get someone a good phone too :) So it's a WIN-WIN.

Now coming to the payment part. I live in Pune. You will of course have to pay upfront so trust is a big issue here. It's up to you. Regarding unlocking it, all phones can be unlocked pretty easily with just softwares. It won't cost you anything. If you want, I can show it to you how to do that. I myself use Captivate, that is on contract with AT&T but have unlocked it. Also customs, I really am not sure about it but can't you just tell them that it's a gift or something? I mean if I were to bring a sealed box. And besides, I would be having a sales receipt if they question. Also, aren't we allowed to have two phones, like one for business and other for personal use?

Again, I am open to all and any suggestions. This just struck me and so I posted it here.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm in Pune too. But don't want to mislead you, I'm not interested in buying the Atrix right now. Maybe later this year :) I already have an N900 and HD7 heh. Too much for me to spend on!

Amol, the Atrix cannot be software unlocked. Either the network provider gives you the code or you purchase the code on sites that specialize in unlocking.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier. I didn't mean to say ONLY Atrix 4G. I just thought it was a great phone so people might be interested. The only thing is, I can buy only those phones that are locked to AT&T coz I use AT&T here. So if you are interested, just take a look at phones AT&T has on their site and choose ANY model from the site. It doesn't really matter to me. You can see the upfront cost there. Just add $360 to whatever price you see there and that would be your total cost of the phone. My bad that I didn't mention this earlier.

@Freaky - thanks didn't know that! I thought just like all other AT&T phones, it was unlockable too. Guys, just a request. Please consider me noob in phones (in case you haven't already figured that out). Please do your own research and just let me know the phone you are interested in buying, if you are. :)

Here's the link that you might want to check:

AT&T store

P.S. Going for a refurbished phone might save you some $$$ :)

Friend of mine is also coming in Mid may he went for onsite so can he buy Iphone 4 unlocked in New York or Motorola Atrix unlocked ? If you can pass me on the link would be helpful.

^^ Yea for sure. Just ask him to look it up on ebay. Motorola Atrix should cost you around $560-$580 unlocked but iPhone 4 comes quite costly at around $650 unlocked. Both in brand new condition.

this is a good initiative but imo most phones come for the same price on ebay if not cheaper so doesent really make all THAT much sense to get a phone this way.

Back