CPU/Mobo Aorus x570 pro Cmos battery rapid degradation.

Alucard1729

Disciple
I had been keeping my system with Aorus x570 motherboard powerwd off for certain periods while away. This could be between fews days to weeks. Early this year I noticed bios being reset and the CMOS battery voltage was 0.4V and I knew I had to change it. But this was unprecedented as this was such a rapid decline in mere 2 years of owning the board.
I replaced battery with Duracell. This time around I kept the system plugged in at all times. Few occasions where I had to turn off the plug I saw the battery decline in voltage from 3.3 to 3.2v. This month I was away for two weeks and had to turn of all the systems down. I even unplugged any USB devices. Now the battery voltage reads out 3.1v.
There's a steady decline and replacing it again would be a pain given its beneath a Rtx 3090.
For further context the system is completely packed with nvme and sata drives, high powered fans running with molex and sata power.

My secondary system which has seen similar shutdown cycle has had a steady cmos battery voltage at 3.26v.
I can't think of a particular reason why this is happening. I don't know if I have to RMA the board or if its a minor issue.

If someone has faced similar issue like mine please post your experience and how you may have fixed it.

Thanks.

I had been keeping my system with Aorus x570 motherboard powerwd off for certain periods while away. This could be between fews days to weeks. Early this year I noticed bios being reset and the CMOS battery voltage was 0.4V and I knew I had to change it. But this was unprecedented as this was such a rapid decline in mere 2 years of owning the board.
I replaced battery with Duracell. This time around I kept the system plugged in at all times. Few occasions where I had to turn off the plug I saw the battery decline in voltage from 3.3 to 3.2v. This month I was away for two weeks and had to turn of all the systems down. I even unplugged any USB devices. Now the battery voltage reads out 3.1v.
There's a steady decline and replacing it again would be a pain given its beneath a Rtx 3090.
For further context the system is completely packed with nvme and sata drives, high powered fans running with molex and sata power.

My secondary system which has seen similar shutdown cycle has had a steady cmos battery voltage at 3.26v.
I can't think of a particular reason why this is happening. I don't know if I have to RMA the board or if its a minor issue.

If someone has faced similar issue like mine please post your experience and how you may have fixed it.

Thanks.
swap your other boards cmos battery into x570

swap your other boards cmos battery into x570
Different connections. X570 is holder variant and the other being wired lead type. Still what bothers me is seeing this decline if I were to power down later on, the battery would die rapidly after a certain voltage level (should be around 2.0v).

Nominal voltage is 3V for a CR2032. At 2.9V, it's about 50% depleted. At around 2.75V, it's about 75% depleted. At 2.1V, it's effectively dead. These numbers vary slightly between manufacturers.

The drop from >3V to 3V is inconsequential because there's not much energy in that range.

What you're experiencing looks like expected behaviour.

I usually switch out batteries if they're below 2.9V

edited to add:

To address your concern, most CR2032s are rated for around 1000 hours, that's about 40 days. They're not meant for long term or sustained use as you'd see in a completely powered off system. I'd recommend leaving the systems plugged in, even if you're not using them.

Higher end motherboards usually have more settings which means larger BIOS memory chips, which means more power is needed to keep settings saved so a faster draining battery in an X series motherboard compared to a A or B series is not unexpected behaviour — if you're keeping the systems completely powered off.

Last edited:
Nominal voltage is 3V for a CR2032. At 2.9V, it's about 50% depleted. At around 2.75V, it's about 75% depleted. At 2.1V, it's effectively dead. These numbers vary slightly between manufacturers.
That's typical for these batteries. What I'm concerned about is if there is any fault with the board (maybe the resistors) causing more than typical discharge.
To address your concern, most CR2032s are rated for around 1000 hours, that's about 40 days.
If I consider my case, that comes around 20% depletion w.r.t service hours.

I have kept these systems plugged in after the first replacement of the battery. Due to an emergency had to be away and fearing brownouts and some rain, unplugged the system. Only display cables were attached other than the WiFi antenna. ERP was set to OFF in bios.

Higher end motherboards usually have more settings which means larger BIOS memory chips, which means more power is needed to keep settings saved so a faster draining battery in an X series motherboard compared to a A or B series is not unexpected behaviour — if you're keeping the systems completely powered off.
Earlier I used to unplug the systems, but now after this incident, it's better to keep them plugged in at all times. Even the location of the battery holder is cursed.
If I remember correctly all these X, A, or B boards have 128 MB (128x2 for X and some B) and dual bios. Even my system has many settings saved with 2 profiles.
The resetting of fan curves is my biggest issue with the CMOS battery drain.
I don't remember making any changes to the system other than adding a couple of SATA drives and changing the case.

Anyone with a similar board can try unplugging the board for a few hours and check on Hwinfo if the CMOS battery voltage depletes this quickly for them as well.

If I upgrade later on my priority would be to get a board that has the holder in a more accessible position XD...

PS: Appreciate moving the thread to a relevant section.

That's typical for these batteries. What I'm concerned about is if there is any fault with the board (maybe the resistors) causing more than typical discharge.

If I consider my case, that comes around 20% depletion w.r.t service hours.

I have kept these systems plugged in after the first replacement of the battery. Due to an emergency had to be away and fearing brownouts and some rain, unplugged the system. Only display cables were attached other than the WiFi antenna. ERP was set to OFF in bios.

Earlier I used to unplug the systems, but now after this incident, it's better to keep them plugged in at all times. Even the location of the battery holder is cursed.
If I remember correctly all these X, A, or B boards have 128 MB (128x2 for X and some B) and dual bios. Even my system has many settings saved with 2 profiles.
The resetting of fan curves is my biggest issue with the CMOS battery drain.
I don't remember making any changes to the system other than adding a couple of SATA drives and changing the case.

Anyone with a similar board can try unplugging the board for a few hours and check on Hwinfo if the CMOS battery voltage depletes this quickly for them as well.

If I upgrade later on my priority would be to get a board that has the holder in a more accessible position XD...

PS: Appreciate moving the thread to a relevant section.
I have the same board as well. Sadly x570 auros boards are plagued with this issue . I also had to replace my cmos with dura, the previous one didn’t lasted much resetting my bios oc profiles.

Back