FS: Others APC Back-UPS BX1100C-IN 1100VA / 660W, 230V, UPS

you could have send the batteries separately. separate shipping cost of both the items would be same as compared to the total weight of the item and this way you could have prevent the damage. batteries consists more than 50% of the total weight of the ups. sad to hear these cases.

Received the UPS today. Unfortunately, in a badly broken condition. ................... Never ever (ever!) ship with DTDC (to my location, at least).
Sorry to hear about that.
DTDC is/was one of the worst couriers in my area too. In fact, there were so many serious complaints against them that they were closed down by the state consumer court last year. Not only were they careless with packages, they came up with all kinds of excuses to avoid making delivery.

But THE worst by far is Delhivery. Besides being as bad as or worse than DTDC with their service, they are also rude and arrogant - and that includes their office staff and delivery boys. They also regularly lie and falsify records.

you could have send the batteries separately. separate shipping cost of both the items would be same as compared to the total weight of the item and this way you could have prevent the damage. batteries consists more than 50% of the total weight of the ups. sad to hear these cases.
Can you really ship bare battery though? Isn't it listed under banned items? Explosive? Acid? DTDC in my area doesn't even accept honey lol. This despite telling them that I will bear all risks and expense.

Can you really ship bare battery though? Isn't it listed under banned items? Explosive? Acid? DTDC in my area doesn't even accept honey lol. This despite telling them that I will bear all risks and expense.
if an ups including batteries can be sent then no problem with bare batteries. i also checked in shiprocket categories and found battery option listed. so it can be possible.

... DTDC is/was one of the worst couriers in my area too. In fact, there were so many serious complaints against them that they were closed down by the state consumer court last year. Not only were they careless with packages, they came up with all kinds of excuses to avoid making delivery.

But THE worst by far is Delhivery. Besides being as bad as or worse than DTDC with their service, they are also rude and arrogant - and that includes their office staff and delivery boys. They also regularly lie and falsify records.
DTDC deserve a thread of their own here. Have had multiple bad experiences with them in the past, including every single one in the past couple of years. And have also avoided them as much as I can. Even as recently as last week had to decline a good deal here, since the seller could only ship with them.

All said, the fact remains that we took a chance here (and I'm sure @sandymsu would agree, since we did have a chat about DTDC prior to shipping). And it ended up in a disaster. Note to self: Never make exceptions, no matter how good the deal is and how badly I need something.

There may yet be a happy ending here. The following is from a PM to @sandymsu that I just sent:
... First thing today, I took apart the unit and inspected it carefully, and the damage appears to be totally external. What I believed to be a shorted and bulged battery was actually the transformer coming out of its groove and pushing out the panel. The batteries and all the internal connections were intact. And the board appears to be unbroken. The fan was slightly twisted, but I was able to put it back in it's place and it appears to work (anyhow I think I can easily replace it, if it breaks again). Also, took apart and reseated all the wires. I was even able to bend back the panels carefully and they actually fit almost perfectly again. Also took the chance to give it a good clean. And plugged it in. And it actually works! ...
Had asked him to wait a couple of days before I reverse the payment, just to make sure it continues to work. Looks promising so far. We'll see. And full marks to APC for the solid build - have seen their quality deteriorate over the years, but it certainly isn't as bad as I believed it to be.

Last edited:
DTDC deserve a thread of their own here. Have had multiple bad experiences with them in the past, including every single one in the past couple of years. And have also avoided them as much as I can. Even as recently as last week had to decline a good deal here, since the seller could only ship with them.

All said, the fact remains that we took a chance here (and I'm sure @sandymsu would agree, since we did have a chat about DTDC prior to shipping). And it ended up in a disaster. Note to self: Never make exceptions, no matter how good the deal is and how badly I need something.

There may yet be a happy ending here. The following is from a PM to @sandymsu that I just sent:

Had asked him to wait a couple of days before I reverse the payment, just to make sure it continues to work. Looks promising so far. We'll see. And full marks to APC for the solid build - have seen their quality deteriorate over the years, but it certainly isn't as bad as I believed it to be.
Good job on making it work rather than let it go to e waste.

Sorry to hear about that.
DTDC is/was one of the worst couriers in my area too. In fact, there were so many serious complaints against them that they were closed down by the state consumer court last year. Not only were they careless with packages, they came up with all kinds of excuses to avoid making delivery.

Completely agree with all points regarding Delhivery. Had the misfortune of being serviced by them for two non prime Amazon orders. Had all the above issues with both orders.

...I will bear all risks and expense.
You can bear the expense of a Boeing 747? :fearscream: What you do for living?:disrelieved:

----
Guys, your packages are always thrown around. Then you have other packages thrown on top of your package. No point blaming a single courier company for it. It's a standard industry practice. And they don't do it for fun. There's no other choice.
Packing a few hundred gram item like motherboard is completely different from packing a solid 10 kg dense product like UPS , you need minimum 7 layer corrugated box. In humid season such as monsoon, a 7 layered corrugated box is as weak as 5 layer corrugated box. Plus bubble wrap is not an option here. You can't even use sheets of thermocol because they can move about. Two pieces of moulded thermocol which is what the company itself used is the best option. And if you have thrown away the original packaging then you'll have to be extremely creative.

I had a huge CRT monitor shipped from Mumbai by FedEx surface. It was a high-end 24-inch Sony professional model, often cited as THE best monitor EVER made. A new one cost $2500 in the US when it was still in production. The bare monitor weighed 42kg, more than 50kg packed. My city is more than 2000km from Mumbai but the monitor arrived safely and I used it for several years.

I'm in a remote region and I've had many other heavy and delicate materials shipped in too. Safely. So I can't agree with the philosophy of justifying couriers for being careless with goods that are placed in their care - for a price.

I had a huge CRT monitor shipped from Mumbai by FedEx surface. It was a high-end 24-inch Sony professional model, often cited as THE best monitor EVER made. A new one cost $2500 in the US when it was still in production. The bare monitor weighed 42kg, more than 50kg packed. My city is more than 2000km from Mumbai but the monitor arrived safely and I used it for several years.

I'm in a remote region and I've had many other heavy and delicate materials shipped in too. Safely. So I can't agree with the philosophy of justifying couriers for being careless with goods that are placed in their care - for a price.
i can't judge dtdc as i had a little experience with them but Delhivery works fine for me. sent and received many things without a single issue.

Yep. Fedex is the only one whom I've found handling products carefully. Hence their premium cost is worth it. Blue Dart in front of my eyes throw packages like a football. Problem is, there are some who consider Dtdc as premium or whatever. Their rates are on par with other premium couriers but they are just typical unprofessionals. I exclusively used them for nearly 4-5 years but then a buyer (Erodov days) reoprted receiving a completely torn package of a mouse I was selling. Imagine, a mouse! Decided to not use them ever again and haven't. Moved to Indian post since and while they will remain comical in respect to delivery time, I at least know what I'm paying for.

Couldn't agree more on Delhivery. I doubt a worse courier could exist. So these 2 Ds I avoid now.

An update. Been monitoring the UPS over the weekend and through several charge-discharge cycles, and it appears to be in fine working order. Except for a slightly rattly fan - something I should be able to eventually fix. Had re-sent the payment to @sandymsu last night and he insisted on sending back 25% of the amount and went through with it. Fair play to him. Have always had a good experience dealing here at TE, and this has been one of the most pleasant, despite the hiccups.

And as a final word on couriers (DTDC, in particular). My gripe with them is not because of their handling of packages alone, but how they work overall. It includes 1) how they regularly marked packages as delivered before actual delivery (in a couple of instances, they have made me wait more than two days), 2) their virtually non-existent customer care who don't give a damn even in the unlikely instance where you are able to get ahold of them, 3) unlike nearly every other service, never once have they sought the delivery code (OTP) upon delivery leading me to believe that their system somehow allows them to find it out anyhow. And so on.

Agree that we need to be prepared for packages to be thrown around. Still, don't really subscribe to the opinion that courier handlers have the right to mishandle packages. If that is how every courier must work, we wouldn't be ordering laptops or cameras online, regardless of how securely they are packed.

Back