PC Peripherals APC SUA1000UXI, which battery?

rajil.s

Adept
Hellot

If anybody owns this UPS please can you post what battery manufacturer and capacity/model you use. I was using 42AH Exide batteries and both died on me within 6 months. So either the UPS is faulty or the batteries were faulty.

Thanks

Well i use a pair of exide 40ah batteries "EL tubular" series.They are currently close to 6.5 years old.They lost around 35% capacity .

Can you tell how exactly the battery died.Did you top it up with distill water every 2 to 3 months.Or was it a sealed maintenance free battery.

Unlike tall tubular batteries smaller ones require batteries to be topped with distill water more frequently.The factory settings of the ups has a higher charge voltage which causes the electrolyte in battery to evaporate rather quickly.
High ambient temperature this year also plays a role in batteries loosing there electrolyte faster and also,showing a lower voltage.
The UPS determines the battery capacity by the voltage of the battery and higher the temperature the lower the voltage it will read which in turn shows a lower battery capacity.

Last edited:
Six months is the expected battery life if you partially discharge it everyday. Bigger batteries may last a year. The UPS is much stricter about the minimum voltage than cheap inverters.

I started with 2x 150 AH Okaya Big Yellow which died after six years. I replaced them with 2x 150 AH Okaya TT 5024 two years ago.

The UPS requires a manual calibration for unsupported batteries like this. Charge them fully for 48 hours, run a constant 30% load (do not change the load) and let the UPS run until it switches off. Disable the auto-shutdown or unplug the USB cable. Until I did this it randomly malfunctioned as if the batteries were dead. It showed errors like No Battery, 0 minutes remaining, etc.

Last edited:
Six months is the expected battery life if you partially discharge it everyday. Bigger batteries may last a year. The UPS is much stricter about the minimum voltage than cheap inverters.

I started with 2x 150 AH Okaya Big Yellow which died after six years. I replaced them with 2x 150 AH Okaya TT 5024 two years ago.

The UPS requires a manual calibration for unsupported batteries like this. Charge them fully for 48 hours, run a constant 30% load (do not change the load) and let the UPS run until it switches off. Disable the auto-shutdown or unplug the USB cable. Until I did this it randomly malfunctioned as if the batteries were dead. It showed errors like No Battery, 0 minutes remaining, etc.
Actually you can also roughly change minutes remaining by using APC powerchute app,by changing the value under the number of batteries connected.
If its set to 0 then it means a pair of 14 to18ah battery(depending on C20 to c10 rating),if its set to 1 it means another pair of those battery have been added(i.e total of 2 pairs or 28ah to 36ah) and its set to 2 then it means 2 pairs of batteries are added(i.e total of 3 pairs or 42 to 54ah ) and so on.

So for your 150ah battery you can put 7 as the number of battery connected.
You will notice that the runtime indicated will increase.Also if you change the date of battery replaced ,the battery constant will also be replaced.

But no matter what the caliberation you do,the UPS will only shut down if the total battery voltage falls below 21v or 10.5v per battery.

Last edited:
According to the calculation I did a long time ago, the correct number for 2x 150 AH C10 was 4 packs since the stock batteries were 12 V 7 AH each. It did not help in the end as the runtime remaining was value completely unreliable.

The only models that properly support charging and reporting of flooded lead-acid batteries are the SRC2KUXI, SRC3KUXI etc. These are designed to be used as an inverter and have live, neutral & ground outputs at the back for wiring.

Last edited:
According to the calculation I did a long time ago, the correct number for 2x 150 AH C10 was 4 packs since the stock batteries were 12 V 7 AH each. It did not help in the end as the runtime remaining was value completely unreliable.

The only models that properly support charging and reporting of flooded lead-acid batteries are the SRC2KUXI, SRC3KUXI etc. These are designed to be used as an inverter and have live, neutral & ground outputs at the back for wiring.
The UXI has the same firmware of the SUA1000XLI which is sold elsewhere except india and it gets a 18AH C20 battery ,yes sealed lead acid batteries have a high voltage sag under load and their capacity takes a hit mostly after first or third complete discharge,compared to flooded tubular batteries which are designed for deep discharge.

To those putting a sealed lead acid battery,Exides own data shows that the sealed batteries loose as much as 50% of their rated capacity in the first few complete discharges.

Back