Apple iTunes alternatives?

Decius

Adept
Hi All
One of my friends has recently acquired an Ipod Touch and for transfers and synchronization she uses I-tunes but strangely I-tunes tends to delete the old songs, ebooks etc when newer ones are added. Even when new ebooks are added the old songs get deleted and so on and so forth. Could anyone please suggest me some alternate to the I-tunes which can handle the transfer/sync of songs as well as ebooks?? Also is there any tweak available to do that in I-tunes itself?? It is really getting pretty annoying. Please suggest.
TIA

Re: I-tunes alternatives?

Decius said:
Hi All

One of my friends has recently acquired an Ipod Touch and for transfers and synchronization she uses I-tunes but strangely I-tunes tends to delete the old songs, ebooks etc when newer ones are added. Even when new ebooks are added the old songs get deleted and so on and so forth. Could anyone please suggest me some alternate to the I-tunes which can handle the transfer/sync of songs as well as ebooks?? Also is there any tweak available to do that in I-tunes itself?? It is really getting pretty annoying. Please suggest.

TIA

In the iPod page in iTunes, she should check the box next to 'Manually Manage Music'. After that, everything works as a drag and drop. She should never hit sync.

The limitation is that you can manually manage only from one computer. If the iPod is connected to another computer, she can only sync (which will then erase her original files).

I understand this is very frustrating, but there is no workaround. (without some hex editing of iTunes XML files)

'Manually Manage Music' doesnt help. It is already set to that but I-tunes still deletes the old files on adding the new ones.

Decius said:
'Manually Manage Music' doesnt help. It is already set to that but I-tunes still deletes the old files on adding the new ones.
The manually manage music setting is limited to a single computer. If you go to another computer, everything will get erased.

No I am referring to same computer only. I think may be its an issue with I-Touch, may be those settings work well for Ipod classic

Decius said:
No I am referring to same computer only. I think may be its an issue with I-Touch, may be those settings work well for Ipod classic
Hmm. I've used iPod touch (1st Gen, latest Gen) and iPhone 4 with manually manage on my computer. It could be an iTouch issue. Maybe an RMA is needed.

Decius said:
red dragon said:
Is she transferring contents from different computers?
It's not a bad idea to read the previous posts before offering/ requesting any info.

Well, it could be due to a corrupt iTunes library database/preference files or install. Here are a couple of things you can try before giving it for RMA:

Completely remove all the media from iTunes delete the old iTunes library located in your "My Music" folder. Also delete the preference files located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

(Note: This will remove all your play count and custom playlists etc.)

Add all your media to iTunes again.

Now on your iPod, go to Settings-General-Reset-Erase All Content and Settings. This will remove all existing data on your iPod. Now connect your iPod to iTunes and set it up as a new device.

Syncing should work normally now.

If this doesn't help, you can try uninstalling iTunes and all its components completely and then download and install the latest version of iTunes from Apple.com/iTunes.

@Styx

Thanks for the detailed info. I will tell her to try these steps and even then if it doesn't help then I think its time for RMA.

Back