FS: Desktops Apple Mac mini M1 |16GB RAM | AppleCare+ till September 14, 2024

briefly: storage

I've been following Apple's hardware releases closely ever since they switched to Intel and in looking back through all those years, you get an understanding of their product stack

the Mac mini has traditionally been the most cost effective way to switch to Apple, which also means it has always been specc'ed in a way to avoid affecting the sales of the more expensive Mac offerings

considering the history of the Mac mini, it's unlikely it'll ever see a M1 Pro or M1 Max upgrade (unless some other factor comes into play, say Apple's need to establish performance superiority in the mindshare of professionals vs Intel's 12th gen)

so it's likely what we have now is the what'll remain for the next couple of years: M1 with a maximum memory of 16gb, 10g networking option, and 2tb of storage

except that 2tb of storage is a Rs 80k option

granted, it's tightly integrated and bypasses the nvme protocol completely with the soc accessing the nand chips directly (with encryption) but not everyone needs/wants to pay that much of a premium

the 10g networking option is a Rs 10k upgrade, so you could spend the remaining 70k like this:

Ryzen 3100 (used): 7k
Gigabyte B550M DS3H: 8k
16gb DDR4: 5k
512gb OEM nvme for truenas: 4k
4x 1tb OEM nvme for zfs raidz1: 28k
x16 to 4x4 nvme adapter card: 7k
10g networking: 8k
gt710 graphics: 3k

and end up with a far more flexible storage solution in the form of a direct attached nas instead of paying Rs 80k for Apple's 2tb upgrade

the Gigabyte B550M DS3H is the cheapest way to get full 4x4 bifurcation from the primary pcie slot and B550 is happy to have the gpu on a x1 chipset slot leaving the x4 slot for the 10g adapter

add in a basic 450w power supply, a compact case, and it quickly becomes a very attractive storage solution that you can expand later on with hard drives

the 10g link between this nas and the mac mini would be absolutely crucial for this kind of setup

external usb attached nvme drives would have been ideal, but there are issues reported by users of random unmount/disconnects with the M1 computers

thunderbolt drive enclosures for nvme maybe be better but they start at 15k here and you'll need atleast two for redundancy

Bump....
If any one not interested in applecare+ warranty then can let me know
So;
With AppleCare+ till 14th Sept 2024 - 79,999
Without AppleCare+ with warranty till 25th June 2022 - 71,999 - /

Bump....
So;
With AppleCare+ till 14th Sept 2024 - 79,999
Without AppleCare+ with warranty till 25th June 2022 - 71,999 - /

Bump....