Budget 90k+ Apple MacBook Air m2 or MacBook Pro?

X-Gamer

Disciple
Hi,

Anyone here has any experience using a MacBook air (8core cpu, 10core gpu, m2, 16gb, 512SSD) for software development purpose? does it throttle? any issues? would you recommend getting the Pro (m2, with same spec as air) instead?

The 13" M2 Pro is misnamed in my opinion. With just two Thunderbolt 3/USB Type-C ports, one of which will be used by the charger, you are left with just one USB-C port. No memory card reader either. Which means you have to carry some dock with you everywhere. I fail to understand what kind of "pro" they have in mind.

Rant aside, the applicable differences for dev work are the 2 extra cores and the fan. The throttling issue is highly exaggerated. Apart from 4K rendering, I don't see many use cases where those features on an 13" M2 Pro would be at any advantage. I've been using an 13" M2 Pro (16GB/512SSD) for development including backend and training ML models and come close to throttling only while executing my own custom multithreaded code running on all cores for hours. I don't think compiling an app would even come close.

I'm convinced the 13" M2 Pro just exists to get rid of already-contracted touchbars. Unless you are a touchbar fan (is anyone?), might as well take the much greater portability of the Air and the slightly better screen.

I would always recommend the bigger screen Pros if you have the moolah otherwise the Air is good enough. As mentioned by @salian above, the 13 inch Pro is hardly a step up from the Air.
Budget-wise, M2 Air. But if budget is not an issue then MacBook Pro M2. 16GB ram is a must. 256GB storage minimum. I personally have a MacBook Pro 13" M2 16GB with 256GB storage. works well till now.

Performance is the same. but the build is better on MacBook Pro.

Hi,

Anyone here has any experience using a MacBook air (8core cpu, 10core gpu, m2, 16gb, 512SSD) for software development purpose? does it throttle? any issues? would you recommend getting the Pro (m2, with same spec as air) instead?
If it is not urgent, wait a bit. The new 2022 MBP powered by M2 is absolute waste. Even the M2 Air seems to have higher internal temperature. If you have to get one right now, get a used M1 MBA or get new M2 MBA. If your splurge bit of cash, go with MBP powered by M1 Max or M1 Pro. Those things are absolute performance monsters.

In July, got a $150 gift card after signing up for Unidays via my student ID while ordering a customized Macbook, and I used the gift card in the US apple store itself to get a discount on an iphone.

Unidays offer is different now in India, since August I believe they are giving airpods.

Back