Apple - 'The missing bite' is with Apple USA!

How has your experience with Apple service been?

• Total voters

Neo-N

Skilled
UPDATE (11th June 2016): Apple told Maple DTI that they (Apple) will cover the cost of repair/replacement for my device.

So, I have been an Android user all my life. Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 5x... I have used them all and have been satisfied with the Nexus franchise, the Android OS and with Google as a whole.

Though I have been using an iPhone 5 and thereafter iPhone 6 for the past ~ 2 years, the same was provided to me by my organisation (I work for an MNC bank) and it was always used as a work phone and enterprise email solution. And hence, I never let go of my Android personal phone.

That was until 2 months ago!! When apple decided to drop the price of the 5S to 21.5k and I decided to bite the poison Apple! I got a 5S and started using it as my personal phone.

Trust me, its a great device and is worth every penny paid. No brickbats to Apple there! It's only when it broke down that I hated my decision of getting one!

I shall divide my ordeal into 3 parts: The Issue / The Chain of Events / The Next Steps

Part I - The Issue:

As soon as I opened the 5S, I noticed 2 tiny (super tiny - Can only be seen if seen from a very close range) air bubbles/blisters under the screen. One near the home button and one on the top right corner of the display. I thought it was nothing to worry and started using the phone.

In about a month's time, the air bubble under the right top corner of the screen seemed to have grown like a tumor! I gently dabbed the corner with my thumb and it became small... almost the original size that it was and stayed that way for a few days more. Then one day (last week) I woke up to this huge bubble under the right top corner of the screen (about 2 mm in diameter). So this is less than 2 months since I got the phone!

Part II - The Chain of Events:

Scene 2.1 - Maple DTI:

I took the 5S to Maple DTI at Santacruz, Mumbai on Thursday, 28th June, 2016.

After a wait of about 20 minutes, a Maple technician by the name Azhar attended to my issue. I explained the entire issue to him and showed him both the spots the one that had grown big as well as the super tiny one.

Azhar took the phone into the service area (its enclosed) and supposedly showed it to a service technician. He came back, told me it was, and I quote, "A spot on the screen or some carbon issue with the black base of the display. The details will be sent to Apple and either the entire phone or just the display will be replaced as per Apple's directives."

I asked about warranty coverage and he said that this would be covered under warranty unless they found out that there was liquid damage or that the phone was opened by someone not authorized by Apple.

Azhar also told me that the issue would be resolved in 3-4 working days and they would call me when my device was ready. While noting down the condition of the phone, he noted that there were just usage stains and no scratches, dings, dents etc. The usage stains were fingerprints and I told him about it. He said its just procedure and that this did not have any bearing on the warranty case.

I left from Maple DTI feeling good that the issue was expected to be resolved in 3-4 working days. I couldn't have been more wrong!!

Scene 2.2 - Home & Work:

I had left the 5S at Maple DTI on Thursday morining so I counted Thursday as a working day! Then came Friday, Saturday (Maple DTI works on Saturday) and Sunday. There was no revert from Maple DTI and 3 out of 4 working days had already passed.

I did call the Maple DTI helpline on Saturday and their executive named Sushant told me, and I quote, "The diagnosis was completed by our service engineers and sent to Apple. They are awaiting Apple's order and you will have a resolution on Monday."

I had a busy Monday, 4th July, 2016. People from BFSI will know! I did not hear from Maple DTI till about 3.00 pm. I decided to call them up myself. This time a female named Shanti attended to my case and told me, and I quote, "Apple has informed us that this is cosmetic damage. You will have to pay INR 15,855/- for having the screen replaced."

I tried to reason with her as to the illogical nature of the diagnosis but she told me that she couldn't help me and my only option was to visit Maple DTI. Talk about helplines!

Scene 2.3 - Maple DTI... Again!:

So, I am back at Maple DTI. Azhar is attending to someone else. There is this enthusiastic female executive who takes up my case. She tells me the exact same thing that Shanti told me! Almost like she is Shanti!

I tell her that the air bubbles/blisters are UNDER the screen and that it's impossible for this to be cosmetic! I don't see how I can reach under the screen and create air bubbles!

She said, and I quote, "We told Apple the same thing and they have said its cosmetic damage. This is the best solution we can offer you."

I told her that I wanted the case to be escalated. She said that nothing could be escalated from Maple DTI end and that for anything else I had to deal with Apple directly.

Believe me, this made me happy! I didn't want to deal with Maple DTI either. Why should I deal with a bunch of idiots who claim that they are spreading the word of Apple by refusing legitimate claims??

So she asked me to call up Apple on some number (she gave me) and talk to them myself.

Scene 2.4 - Outside Maple DTI... With Apple!:

I called up Apple and told them about the entire issue. The executive on the line transferred me to a Senior Advisor Ms. Archana who was extremely courteous and seemed eager to help.

I spoke with Archana for well over 30 minutes and explained how Maple DTI had showcased the problem as a 'A spot ON the screen' instead of describing it as what it was; 'A bubble/blister UNDER the screen'.

She asked me what Maple DTI had quoted as service charges and I told her the amount. She asked me if Maple DTI had quoted the amount for replacing the display or just the phone to which I told her that it was just for the display. Though she didn't say anything of the sort, her tone felt like she was expecting the amount to be the cost for replacing the device and not just the screen. I will never know for sure!

Scene 2.5 - Inside Maple DTI... With Apple!:

Archana asked me to hand over the phone to the Apple Tech in Maple DTI. I took it to the enthusiastic female executive and she took it inside the service area. So, I don't know who spoke to Archana. It was certainly not the enthusiastic female though as she came out immediately and had left my phone inside.

My phone came out after 8-10 minutes. Archana was still on the line. She told me she had spoken to Maple DTI and asked them to forward pictures of the device as well as all other relevant details to her. She was going to escalate the issue from her end. She also asked me to take my 5S if I wanted to. She would revert within 2 working days. She was nice enough to provide her direct number as well as her email ID.

The enthusiastic female asked me not to take the 5S and instead wait for Archana to come back with a solution.

I left the 5S with Maple DTI and left... A voice inside me was taunting me for biting the poison Apple!

Part III - The Next Steps:

This is the part of the story that is as yet unwritten! This is where I need your inputs!

The 2 days Archana had asked for end tomorrow (Today, as its 12.33 am as I type). Considering it's Eid, I am thinking of waiting for one more day.

What after that? What if Apple doesn't revert? What if they do revert and say that I must pay the INR 15,855/- for replacing the display?

Apple does not even have a support email ID. All you can do is call them or chat with them!

There is one thing that I have decided. I will not pay the INR 15,855/- to Maple DTI or Apple for getting the new display. And if I have to accept an un-repaired device, I will not go down without a fight!

So my only option will be to take Maple DTI and Apple India Pvt. Ltd. to the Mumbai District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.

This will probably take a few years to be resolved. And nobody can predict whose favor the forum will rule in. I am a lawyer and even though I no longer practice law, I know how this works and how tedious the whole process can be.

But is there really any other option?

If you have read through all this, I would like to thank you! Please participate in the poll. And if you have any suggestions, please post them here. I could use all the suggestions that fellow TEians may have.

Last edited:
Apple support was never this tedious until a few years ago. One of my friends in the US walked out with a brand new 6s+ within 10 minutes under a warranty claim.

I hope things will change when official Apple stores open up in India.

The cost you have been quoted should have been to change the entire phone. I think that your matter should get resolved by the Apple exec and you won't have to take down the hard path of going through Consumer Forum.

P.S. - You should always use the option of return in the first few days especially considering that the issue was right from the first day (I am assuming you bought the phone online) . I would have at least kept photographic proof of the same.

@rdst_1 That's similar to what I have seen with my own eyes at Apple NY! And I expected a similar experience in Mumbai. I was wrong!

As for the cost, its ridiculous! I am glad Apple is looking into it. But I don't know how they will settle this! I really want to avoid the litigation myself. But I want to avoid injustice and unfair treatment at the hands of Apple/Maple even more!

And for the return, like I said, the bubbles were too tiny to complain about. Plus, I am very finicky about having my gadgets in pristine shape and I thought it was because of my finicky outlook that I was noticing them! I could have lived with them forever if one had not grown in size. And I assumed that Apple would take care of them if they were actually some issues and created trouble later. I guess I was wrong here as well! :(

That's similar to what I have seen with my own eyes at Apple NY! And I expected a similar experience in Mumbai. I was wrong!
Well, sadly thats how Apple users are treated in India. ts only where you have the Apple service centers that you get such a premium treatment.

rakesh this is a apple authorized service center .. a friend had a similar experience at the same place.. its in the juhu gurudwara road. please avoid them at all costs.. they do not wish to help anyone.. nor will they... everytime ive gone there i have seen some angry customer explaining them how 1) they are taking too long to fix the device... 2) not understanding what they are saying... they are really by far the worst customer service centers i have ever been too.. i really hope they find a solution for you neo.. or just put a aftermarket screen from outside.. will probably last u more then the original. and wont be more then 3/4k cuz ur screen is fine.. i think its only the digitizer that needs a replacement. might ve even cheaper 1/2k (my friend just changed the ip6 digitizer/glass for 4k)

rakesh this is a apple authorized service center
This is the difference I am talking about. Authorised service centers are present in places where Apple doesnt have their own service centers available yet unlike in USA/UK (I only know these two places that has Apple service centers for sure :p).

Visiting a proper Apple center will clearly give you the picture of miss treatment here (out of experience)

rakesh this is a apple authorized service center .. a friend had a similar experience at the same place.. its in the juhu gurudwara road. please avoid them at all costs.. they do not wish to help anyone.. nor will they...

^^ Yes bro... This is the same place. I saw a few disgruntled customers on both my visits. But I never thought it was a norm at this place! I assumed that people were pissed coz their expensive gadgets were not working... its natural. In fact, I was always calm with these people... When I argued, I only did it for logical reason and not out of any outburst as I thought that these people are just employees and don't need to take fire on a personal level for my problems! But from your experience, it seems like they have been trained to pester customers!

As for the screen, I won't get any replacement from anyone besides Apple. Like I said, I am very firm on my decision to take them to the Consumer Forum if things are not sorted... I think it's about time we stopped accepting compromised service quality just coz we are Indians and not Apple's mainstream (US) market consumers!

This is the difference I am talking about. Authorised service centers are present in places where Apple doesnt have their own service centers available yet unlike in USA/UK (I only know these two places that has Apple service centers for sure :p).

Visiting a proper Apple center will clearly give you the picture of miss treatment here (out of experience)

^^ I expected an Authorised Service Provider to mean that they were Authorised by Apple to do right by their consumers! Not be mandated to annoy and harass them in attempts at refusing legitimate warranty claims! :(

^^ I expected an Authorised Service Provider to mean that they were Authorised by Apple to do right by their consumers! Not be mandated to annoy and harass them in attempts at refusing legitimate warranty claims! :(
These service centres are they for hire. Today they are apple tomorrow they serve somebody else. if so then their first objective is to save money. This will mean turning down genuine claims. That is unless you manage to create enough of a stink that not repairing costs more than just doing the job. That would be cynical though.

There is a grey area here since Apple isn't officially in the country. The seller is a third party that washed his hands the moment money exchanged hands. You are now shunted to yet another third party that is trying to do the same.

Your experience seems like the general story with all service centres. If they can avoid going out of pocket by either fobbing you off, giving you the run around they will. There is no such thing as complete replacement in this country, just repair. This means expect to be without a phone for up to a month. Does not mean it will take a month just that is how long it could take.

The larger picture i'm getting here is
- you pay a premium for an iphone in India. Over and above what it costs in the US.
- because Apple isn't on the line here, you are at the mercy of service centres for anything but the most trivial of tasks.

makes one question whether paying the premium because they were fed up with other brands due to lousy support is worth it or not. In India.

Mind you the picture is changing, given Apple's woes in China, they seem to have struck a deal with GOI. They get a 3 year deadline within which to figure out how to source components and make in India.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe Apple india agrees to refund the ervice centre for the cost in which case you walk away a happy customer. Maybe service centre were dragging their feet because they were not sure who was going to pay for the repair.

Last edited:
There has been no update from Apple. Its been 2 days since the escalation. Like I said before, I am not gonna count today (yesterday!) as it was Eid. I am gonna give them until tomorrow (today!) EOD to reach out to me. Else I will shoot them a query. One way or another, I will have a conclusive course of action by the end of this week.

Apple does offer care plans think they are around the 4.5k annual mark. Was told this was a no questions asked peace of mind plan.

Am guessing you did not have one of those.

Apple does offer care plans think they are around the 4.5k annual mark. Was told this was a no questions asked peace of mind plan.

Am guessing you did not have one of those.

^ The phone is less than 2 months old. Never bothered with the care plan as one can get it anytime during the first year of warranty. And going by present experience, I expect same treatment even under care plan!

In any case, I took guidance from Dr. Pratik (fellow TEian and Apple veteran!) and he said that even with a Apple care plan, they ask you to pay if its damage (cosmetic or otherwise). Its just a warranty extension... According to him, better option is to take an insurance!

I am pretty sure EID is today (7th July). :p

^ The bank holiday was yesterday! Hence I am assuming it was a holiday for Apple as well. On that note, Eid Mubarak! :)

Try going through Apple's website and open a support ticket from there. Explain that there is an issue in the display (air gaps causing screen to not be visible outdoors) which the service center people are either incapable of diagnosing or are incompetent, and ask them to give you a RMA receipt so that you can mail in your phone and get a new one since the service center is unable to help you.

^ The phone is less than 2 months old. Never bothered with the care plan as one can get it anytime during the first year of warranty. And going by present experience, I expect same treatment even under care plan!

In any case, I took guidance from Dr. Pratik (fellow TEian and Apple veteran!) and he said that even with a Apple care plan, they ask you to pay if its damage (cosmetic or otherwise). Its just a warranty extension... According to him, better option is to take an insurance!
Yeah, no need in the first year.

But who offers insurance on phones in India ?

Just an update on what happened with my friend
Bought a new iphone 6s from retail USA . It fell in bucket of water here . You know the results , wonky ... Emailed Apple CC in USA . They emailed Apple CC here in India and he walked out of his city service centre with brand new iphone 6S after paying 25k additional

BTW, Apple replaces with refurbished phones and not brand new ones. You can check this on google.
Apple refurbished phones are as good as new. Apple might use 1 or 2 refurb parts in the phone but it still comes with a 1 year warranty (expandable by Applecare) and has a brand new casing,glass,etc. If someone didn't tell you it was a refurb, you would never know it

Apple refurbished phones are as good as new. Apple might use 1 or 2 refurb parts in the phone but it still comes with a 1 year warranty (expandable by Applecare) and has a brand new casing,glass,etc. If someone didn't tell you it was a refurb, you would never know it
Well, as good as new aint brand new which @rdst_1 said and I replied to it.

Warranty is for the original phone you bought and so they do not extend your warranty beyond that timelines.
Apple care is like any other warranty extension.
Well I know it because I care for what I get. You knowing it or not doesnt change a phone from refurb to brand new. I only quoted them as refurb since there was a misconception about it being brand new.

Partially agreed. But the point was that there are great and snappy mobiles available for great pricing in Android now. I am not getting into an Android Vs IOS fight here. PS:: I have experienced both the worlds and came back to Android since I felt home on droids.

So it shouldn't be too hard for you to realize that people might feel the same way about iPhones. BTW, I myself belong to the Android camp but have seen it first hand how difficult it is for iOs or Android users to shift camp. Hence, I was a bit taken back by your suggestion for a person to shift to Android especially when he/she would be paying similar amount.

To get an OP3 repaired doesn't cost the amount of the phone itself. Besides, there are multiple options costing varied amounts based on how much you wanna spend.

In India, for the service what Apple "authorised" dealers are not providing and also considering usable services from Apple itself - it aint worth the pain unless you are a iUser for long and dont wanna shift spaces and can take the dirt and the price the service centers throw at you.

Same is true for iPhones. I can get just the digitizer replaced professionally with a machine for just 2k, or buy an OEM quality screen for 5-6k.
As for the services provided, it is more or less same across all brands. Yes, Apple were good in the beginning but now it seems even they have fallen in standards especially if we compare to their US counterparts.
I have personally seen a person walk in with a brand new Samsung Note 3, which he bought for 40k+ and being denied a replacement. He had literally walked over from the showroom to the service centre because his device was defective out of the box.

This lackadaisical attitude of companies towards consumer rights in India is one of the reasons I always preferred to buy imported devices. I have only bought 3 phones in India till now - Galaxy S2, OPO and now Redmi Note 3.

We are derailing the thread like any IOS/Android phone comparisons actually end in. Hope the OP gets a better treatment from Apple authorized centers.

Back