Are Ionizers in air conditioners recommended?

HailStonE

Skilled
Guys any details on newer HITACHI 1.5 Ton Kashikoi series.. What kind of filter is on them. Its not mentioned on their website..

Also is it recommended to have ionizer filter on Air-conditioner since now we can get ionizers separately as well..

ACs with ionizer/plasma filters will be more expensive. Normally top-end. Check out the prices and those of stand-alone ionizers and decide.

ACs with ionizer/plasma filters will be more expensive. Normally top-end. Check out the prices and those of stand-alone ionizers and decide.

What's recommended.. I can get separate ionizer with better filter from SHARP & PHILIPS... Thing is these filters need to be replaced but I hardly see anybody replacing them for air conditioners...

With HITACHI there is no information, The ionizer is available on SHARP, Panasonic (Top end), BlueStar & Toshiba..

Also anybody seen Kashikoi from HITACHI.. Whats the opinion on it..

I am not even sure if these things work. I have it in my Sharp AC and all I see is blue light when I turn the "Plasma Cluster" On and a buzzing noise. I feel no changes in the air quality. Placebo may be.

@Vasishta.Sushant : I checked out a plasma filter once in a showroom, did not feel any different from the regular dust filter. Asked the shop guy, he was (as expected) clueless.
You will have better sleep if you stop wondering whether it is working or, not :)[DOUBLEPOST=1427386117][/DOUBLEPOST]@HailStonE : Reg., people not replacing these filters: try calling a service center & ask the availability, cost & how many customers do actually change the filters. That would complete the picture for you.

I would suggest that you go for separate devices.

Also is it recommended to have ionizer filter on Air-conditioner since now we can get ionizers separately as well..

What does an ionizer do?? If it ionizes the air, then is it beneficial to us?? Or is it just a marketing hokum.:p

As per wikipedia, Health effects

A number of studies have targeted negative ion generators. Some studies show that the ozone generated can exceed guidelines in small, non ventilated areas. [7] One study showed that ozone can react with other constituents to increase pollutants such as formaldehyde.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser

@Vasishta.Sushant : I checked out a plasma filter once in a showroom, did not feel any different from the regular dust filter. Asked the shop guy, he was (as expected) clueless.
You will have better sleep if you stop wondering whether it is working or, not :)[DOUBLEPOST=1427386117][/DOUBLEPOST]@HailStonE : Reg., people not replacing these filters: try calling a service center & ask the availability, cost & how many customers do actually change the filters. That would complete the picture for you.

I would suggest that you go for separate devices.

Even I am also getting inclined towards a dedicated unit if the requirement be in future.. I spoke to SHARP's branch head locally & was told that the HEPA filter needs to be replaced every two years & costs 3k while the ion generator has a life of 5 years & costs 5k to replace...

I looked around on the internet & found this for a dedicated filter from SHARP..

HEPA seems to be most effective against dust & other micro organisms while ionizer has only deactivation capacity. It also sticks to the dust particle & makes it drop down on the floor.... Which means a separate filter should clear it from the room..

Also found this on NDTV..

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/others/feat...ir-purifiers-become-household-products-668985

What does an ionizer do?? If it ionizes the air, then is it beneficial to us?? Or is it just a marketing hokum.:p

As per wikipedia, Health effects

A number of studies have targeted negative ion generators. Some studies show that the ozone generated can exceed guidelines in small, non ventilated areas. [7] One study showed that ozone can react with other constituents to increase pollutants such as formaldehyde.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser

Ionizer do release OZONE but in extremely minute quantity unlike an OZONE filter which is hazardous.. I had read the wiki page earlier as well..

Good, now that you have a better idea of things, my suggestion would be - go for a simpler no-frills AC.

What about HITACHI Kashikoi series.. I am yet to see one in action... No ionizer on it but only simple dust filter net.. Its got other frills like motion sensor & directional air flow.. also auto clean, but don't know how it works...

Back