Are these chairs actually comfortable or is it just a pervasive marketing campaign?

Pretty much every big twitch streamer has some kind of chair that looks like this Do those flared wings serve any purpose? Are they supposed to invoke the feeling of being in a race car? Does anyone really buy these or do twitch streamers get them as part of a marketing deal?
I recently shopped for a new computer chair and gave these a test sit, but didn't see the appeal. I'm 6'3" with a long torso, and the winged backrest only inhibited arm movements. The lumbar pillow also didn't feel quite right. I ended up with a more standard office chair.
What are your feelings about these gaming chairs?
stumbling some sites like this http://www.chairsadvisor.com/best-ergonomic-kneeling-chairs-for-back-pain-reviews/

What I have observed is no matter the chair, people tend to sit in a very inappropriate slumpy posture and then blame the brand and make.
I'm sure if one strictly follows a certain posture without slumping or lazing then even a good basic chair will wok just fine.
Of course if someone has series of back issues he shouldn't compromise on a good make.

Ive read mostly complaints online of gaming chairs. Especially after long use.
We wouldnt know long term effects of using such chairs

Pretty much every big twitch streamer has some kind of chair that looks like this Do those flared wings serve any purpose? Are they supposed to invoke the feeling of being in a race car? Does anyone really buy these or do twitch streamers get them as part of a marketing deal?

I'd second that, probably it has to do with the similarity of being in a race car IMO. I do use one of them, and I'm not a gamer, got a good deal from a friend.
But sometimes, like the one I have, there is a lumbar pillow which is height adjustable, and the flared wings kind of allows passthrough of the fasteners of that pillow.
Comfortable? May be yes, nothing greater than a good office chair, but a lot of flexibility. The armrests move in any direction you want. The recline even allows you to sleep in it. There is even a rocking mechanism.
Also the castor wheels are dead silent. (May be something for live streaming?)

As @Rockfella already said, they are just made to ripoff people with the gamer tax, you're better off buying a high back executive chair that will be a lot cheaper and a lot more comfy as well.

Check out Featherlite chairs, they are "non-gaming" obviously but have some decent stuff for all budgets. I have been using the Optima mesh model for some years now.

Back