Are tv series on prime video not free for amazon prime members anymore?

6pack

ex-Mod
i wanted to watch Allo Allo on Amazon prime and its behind a subscribe button. Lot of stuff is behind the subscribe button now. just some indian tv shows and movies are free i think. so when did this subscription thing start?
even if i subscribe, they have set video quality to 480/720 on all devices except firetv sticks which have upto 4k. doubt i'll subscribe looking at that limitation.

They started this first in the US and over the past year stuff has been phased out of the basic subscription you get with Amazon Prime to be behind additional subscriptions to "channels". Thanks for the heads up about the quality, I wasn't aware of that.

Allo Allo I guess being from the 90s, might be a source material limitation... have you checked other newer stuff also?

i think prime doesn't have a license for the show, if it's not Amazon orignals or if they don't have license, it was always pay per watch or subscription in this case to bbc. The real problem is they are trying to bring ads to Prime.

Prime Video playback is supported on these web browsers. If you’re running an operating system other than Windows or macOS, playback is restricted to standard definition.
Web Browsers

Streaming Video Quality - up to HD
Sound quality - Stereo
Closed Captions (Subtitles) - Yes
Audio Description - Yes
Live Streaming - Yes
Live ad support - Yes
Ad-supported channels - Yes
Profiles Supported - Yes

Amazon Prime Video for Windows (Windows 10/11)

Streaming Video Quality - up to HD
Sound quality - Stereo
Audio Description - Yes
Live Streaming - Yes (when connected to the Internet)
Live ad support - Yes (when connected to the Internet)
Ad-supported channels - Yes (when connected to the Internet)
Profiles Supported - Yes, on selected models
Amazon Devices with the Prime Video App

The following Amazon devices have access to Prime Video.

Note: Not all Prime Video titles support all features.

Fire TV/Fire TV Stick

Streaming Video Quality - up to Ultra HD
Sound quality - up to 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Atmos
Audio Description - Yes
Live Streaming - Yes (on software version 5.2.6.0 or later)
Live ad support - Yes
Ad-supported channels - Yes
Profiles Supported - Yes, through the Prime Video app

Edit: on smart tv's, mobiles and blu ray players it supports upto ultra hd quality on their prime video app only.
game consoles and other devices its mixed.

There is paid stuff for some time now, but its additional. So just an option for someone. I don't see reduction in amount of stuff in base plan - already too much for me.

There is paid stuff for some time now, but its additional. So just an option for someone. I don't see reduction in amount of stuff in base plan - already too much for me.
It's not additional. A lot of the stuff, for example, Doctor Who, they used to have included in the base but is now behind a subscription. They don't change the front page stuff and phase it out slowly so fewer people notice unless they go looking for those shows/movies.

It's not additional. A lot of the stuff, for example, Doctor Who, they used to have included in the base but is now behind a subscription. They don't change the front page stuff and phase it out slowly so fewer people notice unless they go looking for those shows/movies.
Same with The Batman, initially it was free to stream that to 4K and now it's behind a paywall

And new stuff keeps coming in. This was always the case as things dont stay permanently other than in house shows. And now it also happens that there is subscription option available whereas previously it would just disappear and still does for things that don't have paid option.

I just started watching Community - i think its new to Prime Video. Finished Justified before that and it was new too( to PV). All i can say is that i have too much stuff on watchlist that i can never get to.
It is possible that what you say is true, but for now it does not feel that way to me. Adverts though might happen unfortunately eventually.

Quality - i dunno, i just watch on mobile all the time. But i don't think Prime Video quality on mobile atleast was particularly good ever. Haven't watched on monitor/TV

And now it also happens that there is subscription option available whereas previously it would just disappear and still does for things that don't have paid option.
True, but this just leads to more fragmentation for streaming and customers having to pay more and more to access all the content they want instead of a unified option.

The only one I pay for is a shared netflix account. I would never pay for all the services, I just have them as benefits from Airtel broadband so I use them.

Allo Allo seems to be available on BBC, not Amazon prime?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-16-20-46-47-449_com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-16-20-46-47-449_com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 34
Allo Allo seems to be available on BBC, not Amazon prime?
on amazon prime it shows up if you search but has a subscription button. you need to login first.

available for free on youtube and internet archive. I downloaded episode0 from the internet archive and it has some skips and audio and video mismatch plus quality is poor. the youtube quality is better because its offically uploaded by bbc.

Edit: it was not ful episodes on youtube so removed the link. just small 4 minute clips of each episode. but the internet archive has complete episodes around 250MB each.

Back