Are you passionate about your career/ job?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
In my case, honestly didn't have much clue, but one thing was certain...studying hard was my only option and it was kind of an escape route from a monotonous life.
Though mathematics and physics were my strongest subjects, took biology over statistics in class 12.
For people like us with no special skills/ talents ( was playing bass and keyboards since class 4, but pursuing music as full time carrier was just unimaginable) and no rich parents, becoming an engineer or a doctor were the only two logical options and I opted for the second ( my father was an engineer and he spent his entire life teaching in IIT Kharagpur and Jadvpur Engineering college)
After finishing the first MD in general medicine and 6 months in a well paying corporate hospital job, realised I'm possibly the worst possible person for that job. So left it, went back to medical school and fought hard to find a very difficult position ( opportunity to play with numbers, not patients, medical statistics)
Now I deal with two things 1. Medical statistics 2. Drug addicts
Completely different, but I enjoy both, specially the challenges of both.
But I am not really passionate about any of these ( but at least find these way more interesting than clinical practice on a daily basis) I am living with a very reasonable compromise and not b**ching about it.
Anyone is similar/ better/ worse situation (meaning what you wanted to do in a profession and what are you doing in reality)

Anybody here had the courage to continue with what you love as a career?
I still don't have it in me. What I planned for few months back ( nothing special, just to buy a boat and run a ferry service) now seems a very distant dream.
I know of a couple in US with 6 kids ( 4 from previous marriages) They started a youtube channel in 2016..just a typical reaction to hard rock/ metal music channel ( it started as a unwinding / relaxation exercise..4 kids plus regular jobs..life was stressful) But both of them fell in love with the thing and now they are almost full time youtubers!!
Regular middle class people, but they worked hard and had it in them

Last edited:
It becomes difficult esp., as & when the family starts with kids & their needs coming up; many times one cannot think of taking risks with one's career when a lifestyle (I am not talking of extravagance, basic needs incl education assurance corpus creation, etc.) can be at stake. I couldn't. No regrets, however.

Anybody here had the courage to continue with what you love as a career?
I still don't have it in me. What I planned for few months back ( nothing special, just to buy a boat and run a ferry service) now seems a very distant dream.
I know of a couple in US with 6 kids ( 4 from previous marriages) They started a youtube channel in 2016..just a typical reaction to hard rock/ metal music channel ( it started as a unwinding / relaxation exercise..4 kids plus regular jobs..life was stressful) But both of them fell in love with the thing and now they are almost full time youtubers!!
Regular middle class people, but they worked hard and had it in them
Correct me if I'm wrong but the societal pressures in US are way less than in India. You also may have to take care of kids for a period larger than that in US so the risk appetite of people in India is lesser.

Last edited:
No idea about the so called "social pressure" in US, but at present economic pressure is huge in middle class American families.
You may not believe me, but the young people in EU are not leaving parents nowadays, many are staying with parents even after getting married!!

I hate to work but have to slog everyday just to earn those peanuts to keep myself and family running. I was purely a biz oriented person, very dynamic and be my own boss and I did lived this life for initial days & then destiny had other plans. So nothing can be done now esp. given the current covid situation and with so many responsibilities.
I wish I win some lottery in some fortune and retire early but thats just everybodys dream eod..which only happens to the richie richs!!
I dont have any lavish demands either just simplistic happy life..but this 9-11hr job is shit but have to do with it for decades to come..

I found my job boring and unfulfilling until I got married and got a couple of kids. Now I love it.

I look for fulfillment and hobbies with my family and hobbies. As long as you are being paid to do something, youo will need to do it on the terms of those who pay you, and looking for fulfillment there is just setting yourself up for failure.

Last edited:
For me a satisfied job is one which:
  • One enjoys just like anything else
  • Gets well payed as per your profile/exp/qualifications etc.
  • Work and personal life balance with manageable yet enjoyable stress not affecting your health and family relations eod.
  • Flexible working options
  • Gives you zero interference personal time for you and your family/hobbies etc. (else even after work hours we are hooked to those useless shit meetings)
  • Cooperative working team rather than bullying and biased
  • A supportive boss!

Last edited:
I hate to work but have to slog everyday just to earn those peanuts to keep myself and family running. I was purely a biz oriented person, very dynamic and be my own boss and I did lived this life for initial days & then destiny had other plans. So nothing can be done now esp. given the current covid situation and with so many responsibilities.
I wish I win some lottery in some fortune and retire early but thats just everybodys dream eod..which only happens to the richie richs!!
I dont have any lavish demands either just simplistic happy life..but this 9-11hr job is shit but have to do with it for decades to come..
Hang on there mate...tough time does not last, tough people do.
At least you have a job in this completely ****ed up situation.
I know of a bookstore owner ( one of the very few remaining bookstores @ Praha) succumbed to covid, his wife survived, but had a bad stroke and completely bedridden ( she's not even 50)
The only daughter is managing everything..studies, the bookstore ( which is not doing good at all) taking care of her mom etc. etc.
We know this family for years, my wife is buying books from that store since childhood ( it's a 3 generation old store) now that hundred year old bookstore is almost gone.
Another adjacent old bookstore (with a beautiful outdoor sitting arrangement where you could read any book from that store without buying and had really good coffee) is permanently gone. Replaced with some upscale furniture store.
This stretch of the street in the city center was our favourite hangout place, gone forever.
Louis Rossman posted a video on urban decay in NYC...a very bleak but a perfect portrayal of the present situation.

Back