Graphic Cards Asus GPU PCB corrosion. How to remove?

combatknife

Disciple
Hi all, This is my friend`s 1660ti asus phoenix. The card was not posting and was taken to Asus service. However RMA request was denied due to corrosion detected on the PCB (see pic). Does anyone know what chemical this deposit is. What can possibly remove/dissolve it?. Card is under warranty for another 5 months.

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-09-23-17-38-30.png
    Capture+_2021-09-23-17-38-30.png
    972 KB · Views: 907
I'm afraid even if you remove it the card is probably dead if you or your friend tried to run it in this condition.
90-99% Isopropyl alcohol + a used old toothbrush is good to remove it. Be gentle though.

HI, since i didnt get a response, did some research and managed to clean almost all of it. Will be resubmitting the card for RMA. Used isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, soft bristle toothbrush. Card is still dead though. The question is will asus accept the card for RMA now? or will it be already flagged as a warranty void one?

Attachments

• phoenix.jpg
    phoenix.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 428
Clean it as much as you can at least from outside. I'm not sure if there is any corrosion from other side of the PCB. If there is it will be denied if they open it and see.
You can't clean that yourself as there is tamper sticker on the screw which is absolute bullshit.

queen of Arabian sea, Cochin.
Hope they accept the claim. If anyone knows any asus representative, kindly help since this is a horrible time for a gpu to go bad

Last edited:
Back