User Review ASUS Z87 Maximus VI Gene Unboxing

Hey guys, i'm back with a new board to unbox. This time around its the small and cuddly liitle sibling, the Maximus VI Gene.

The box it self spells out the contents. I for one am a huge ROG fan and i simply love this colour scheme a lot. The colours themselves spell out all the trouble this board can cause, that is if you know what I mean.

As soon as the top lid is opened, the board appears, enshrined in a plastic caped case of its own.

The naked board.

Upon removal of the board, we find a bunch of goodies in the lower compartments.

We find 6 SATA cables, an SLI cable, a manual, and a special combo card which can support an NGFF SSD and a WIFI module at the smae time. We also find the ASUS exclusive Q-Connectrs here.

The I/O shield, a door hanger and a few SATA labels to make life easier.

The sexy Intel PCH heatsink.

A start and a reset button, perfect for benching outside the case.

Dual PCI-E 3.0 16X slots. Perfect for 2 way SLI or Crossfire.

A top view of the gorgeous board.

An angled view of the board itself. Man thats one SWEET looking chuck of PCB.

The top right corner of the board houses the Q-Code LED indicators along with the MEM-OK button. Also notice the 60A rated Blackwing Chokes.

The CPU socket area is completely clean for easier installation of CPU coolers of all shapes and sizes.

The CPU socket cover.

The socket itself.

Another view of the board.

The top left corner has the EPS 8-Pin plug. Also notice the Speical connector for the M-PCIE combo card.

The DIMM slots.

A view of the 24-Pin ATX power connector.

Now thats what i call a good looking heatsink. It covers the Mosfets and the Chokes.

The rear I/O panel.

And finally the SupremeFX audio chip along with the isolated area for audio. This liitle thing delivers some very crisp sound.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little sneak peak. Let me know your thoughts and views.

Cheers until next time,
Moksh

I have a Z77 Maximus V and that has a display out as well so effectively I can use 2 monitors with the Maximus V without going for a dedicated card.
the Z87 looks exactly like the Z77 in most other aspects:)

Yes HDMI is the only output the board provides. But i guess its what most people use. I would have liked to see a DVI out though.

nice! let us know how much of a bump up it is from our Maximus V Gene.

The best thing I love on this new board is the design change to the SATA plug in ports compared to the Maximus V Gene.

Back