Graphic Cards ATI finally drops price after GTX 460 launch

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
In a bid not to lose market share, ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices, have responded to the launch of Nvidia Corp.’s GeForce GTX 460 with a price drop of the Radeon HD 5830 graphics card. The company claims that the model 5830 with the new price will be more competitive than the rival, but the rivalry will still not be easy.

Starting recently, the official recommended price of ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB graphics card will be $199 in the U.S., which is equal to the price of Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768MB. Earlier the manufacturer suggested retail price of the Radeon HD 5830 1GB was $239. Several leading online stores in the country have already started to sell the model 5830 at the new MSRP. There are also a number of advanced versions of the Radeon HD 5830 with increased clock-speed and special cooling systems that are sold at higher price-points.
Source : ATI Responds to Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 Launch with Price Drop - X-bit labs

They need to drop the price of the 5850 imho, cause the Gtx 460's factory oced versions easily match even beat the 5850 in most gaming benchmarks.

^.. Maybe after the launch of GF106 they will cut the prices of remaining lineup in tune of market dynamics. Who knows even nVidia starts it first... ;)

these reviews were and nvidia was comparing GTX460 with HD5830 and not HD5850.. there is a lot of difference in specs apart from just the clock.

it is evident that OCed GTX460 may match and overtake HD5850 but that can be countered with overclocked HD5850, unless proven otherwise.

nvidia conveniently placed its product against a midway card..which is not so hot anyways... i still see the same old HD5830 box at prime since past 3-4 months... even how many in this very forum have actually bought HD5830 ?

i do desire for a price drop on the HD5850 for my own profit though :p

Jasku said:
They need to drop the price of the 5850 imho, cause the Gtx 460's factory oced versions easily match even beat the 5850 in most gaming benchmarks.
yeah but the palit sonic platinum etc are overclocked to limits and 5850 is competitor 470 not 460 and 470 sells for more than 5850 already .also when 5850 is overclocked it even beats the 5870 / 480 :p i am running it at 950 / 1300 from 725 / 1000 .

Damn i do have the money currently but i really wanna stall my purchase, i wanted to buy a 2nd gen DX 11 card most probably after my Boards in March, but i am really itching now.... moreover 4670 isn't handling Full HD all that well.

Udit said:
get a GTX 460 instead

trust me you won't regret it

correct.....stay away from bloody ATI cards....i have VMware setup on my machine and my fault i took 5770 card....no drivers for Win2k3, Linux....it sucks when i run ESX on it....same machine was running nice with 8800GT.....now again i have to go though pain of sale of 5770 and look for Nvidia card :(

@avi_avadhut,
Well, if you knew you were going to use Linux etc then you could have checked before buying which company supported Linux. That is no reason for putting a card down.

avi_avadhut said:
correct.....stay away from bloody ATI cards....i have VMware setup on my machine and my fault i took 5770 card....no drivers for Win2k3, Linux....it sucks when i run ESX on it....same machine was running nice with 8800GT.....now again i have to go though pain of sale of 5770 and look for Nvidia card :(
ATI Catalyst Linux

avi_avadhut said:
you expect full driver support under virtual machine via VMware?
many would be more than happy to take your bloody ATi card..of course when you price it much lower as it is totally worthless as per how your post reflects it to be :) :p

I dunno about linux, but win 2k3 runs just fine on my ati setup. Also, aero is fully enabled on win 7 when run on vmware. Are you sure, you are using the latest version of vmware?

guys..i am using windows 2003 x64 editions which dosent accept any drivers - xp or win7 x64 drivers. :(

and i dont use plain linux....mainly for ESX. and i use latest versions of drivers plus vmware workstation 6.5 and 7.0

this card works like a charm for me with playing 1080p HD movies with no cpu usage with power DVD 10 in win7

but why ATI dosent release drivers for win2k3 like Nvidia that was my question.....now i want to use win2k8 and i am scared to do that with this card......gonna shift back to standby Nvidia 7100gs :( :(

too much of manual work 1 card for movies and games and 1 card for virtual work but it seems no choice and lesson learnt hard way

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

atiamd said:
I dunno about linux, but win 2k3 runs just fine on my ati setup. Also, aero is fully enabled on win 7 when run on vmware. Are you sure, you are using the latest version of vmware?

go to ATI site dude and try finding drivers for win2k3 for HD 5xxx series. if you can find any.plz let me know

madnav said:
you expect full driver support under virtual machine via VMware?

many would be more than happy to take your bloody ATi card..of course when you price it much lower as it is totally worthless as per how your post reflects it to be :) :p

i dont expect full support for virtual machine to have graphics from HD 5770. i know virtual operating systems work on vga drivers provided by vmware only. but host OS which is win2k3 x64 act horribly due to no drivers.

pretttt said:
@avi_avadhut,

Well, if you knew you were going to use Linux etc then you could have checked before buying which company supported Linux. That is no reason for putting a card down.

my bad.... cant believe i made such mistake.. and that too i am not heavy gamer. i play only games like AOE or Diablo and that too once in 6 months but i love to keep my system as strong as possible within value range.

Back