Graphic Cards ATI finally drops price after GTX 460 launch

It has been very very long time since I touched Server 2003, but XP x64 ATI drivers used to work just fine with it.

Sure the ATI installer did not used to work but manual installation through device manager ( run the setup, it will extract files to C:\ATI ), leave setup as it is, and manually update driver through device manager by pointing to this folder and selecting your hardware manually.

And then install only CCC via catalyst setup.

I dont know if this still works or not, but its worth a try. ATI made it very clear last year itself that they are stopping support for Windows Server 2003 for their desktop cards.

Shripad said:
It has been very very long time since I touched Server 2003, but XP x64 ATI drivers used to work just fine with it.

Sure the ATI installer did not used to work but manual installation through device manager ( run the setup, it will extract files to C:\ATI ), leave setup as it is, and manually update driver through device manager by pointing to this folder and selecting your hardware manually.

And then install only CCC via catalyst setup.

I dont know if this still works or not, but its worth a try. ATI made it very clear last year itself that they are stopping support for Windows Server 2003 for their desktop cards.
i did provide manual drivers from extracted folder on C-ATI folder but x64 edition of win2k3 dosent accept any of those. and still it may work for ATI 4xxx cards....not at all with 5xxx series :(

look, on my machine, I dont install drivers separately for vmware OS's. Why exactly do you need separate drivers for vmware os's? VMware 7 installs default drivers by itself and they work pretty good. I can change the resolution as well as refresh rates in 2k3... What am i missing here?

'And, I dont want to sound eccentric, but we should not go around saying that ATI cards are bad on a public forum like this. The card does not server YOUR purpose and does everything else fine (what it advertises anyway). I have never come across an ati ad saying that this card is suitable to run vmware. If you knew you dont have to play games and just do some development work, then you should have done the research. Please dont yell at a brand when its none of their faults aage se... :)

Haddock said:
any news on gtx 460 768MB cards?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

--------------------

update-

just googled gtx 460 768mb bangalore :D -

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Synergy ZT-40401-10P 768MB GDDR5 Graphics Card graphic card, prices

Rs.12614/- :O
Zotac GTX460 768MB is available for 12.1k (shipped) at .:: Yantra Online ::.

Sites like Shopmania.in only lists the products of the companies which spare some money for them. So it is not pure comparative site as it does not cover all the sites selling that particular product.

atiamd said:
look, on my machine, I dont install drivers separately for vmware OS's. Why exactly do you need separate drivers for vmware os's? VMware 7 installs default drivers by itself and they work pretty good. I can change the resolution as well as refresh rates in 2k3... What am i missing here?

'And, I dont want to sound eccentric, but we should not go around saying that ATI cards are bad on a public forum like this. The card does not server YOUR purpose and does everything else fine (what it advertises anyway). I have never come across an ati ad saying that this card is suitable to run vmware. If you knew you dont have to play games and just do some development work, then you should have done the research. Please dont yell at a brand when its none of their faults aage se... :)

you got it wrong dude...virtual machines which use vmware driver are fine but main physical machine which has got win2k3 x64 does not work with ATI 5xxx series. 4xxx series card do work with xp drivers but 5xxx do not. point is if i put Nvidia card it works fine then why not ATI. and please read my post...i did say it works nicely in Win7 however i am facing problem with Win2k3 x64.

only option i have is to wait for good Nvidia card....i cant spend 14k on 460 but lesson learnt is when you use multiple OS and play with it then ATI cards are not for me.....its my fault...i am accepting it that i did not do enough research about ATI not supporting 2k3

Ok, I installed Win2K3 SP1 (thats is what I had with me :p ). on my bench amd rig.

Manages to install Drivers for 5770 on it.

here is how.

Downloaded Catalyst setup, it extracted the files to C:

Closed the setup. went to C:\ATI

Right clicked setup.exe and ran it in windows xp compatibility mode.

Ran the setup, it installed everything.

Rebooted.

Right click on desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot > Hardware acceleration and moved the slider to extreme right.

Rebooted again and voila, its running 5770 with proper drivers installed.

CCC does not work. But drivers are installed properly.

funti said:
Zotac GTX460 768MB is available for 12.1k (shipped) at .:: Yantra Online ::.
Sites like Shopmania.in only lists the products of the companies which spare some money for them. So it is not pure comparative site as it does not cover all the sites selling that particular product.
12k is okay price range, i think it'd sell at 11k when it comes out.

damn these distributor noobs, delaying such a hot sell. :mad:

prices have fallen for HD5770 as i checked yesterday.

Asus HD5770 - 9k

XFX HD5770 - 9.3k

as per prime.

that is like 500-700 rupee drop.

Sapphire was out of stock.

did not check pricing on HD5850 though :p

madnav said:
prices have fallen for HD5770 as i checked yesterday.

Asus HD5770 - 9k

XFX HD5770 - 9.3k

as per prime.

that is like 500-700 rupee drop.

Sapphire was out of stock.

did not check pricing on HD5850 though :p

The XFX 5770 1 GIG was 9360 inc VAT 2 months ago here :/

Back