Audio Setup Advice Required

soulweaver

Nice is Free
Patron
Guys!

I am not sure where this thread is supposed to be, but then I am certain the mods will know better, and I do not know who else to ask, this is the only place I know where technology is discussed as it is supposed to be, so here I am.

The problem is this:

I have a language school, and students here need to practise their listening skills. For this, I have computers equipped with headphones.

The deal is this, I feel that a full fledged computer system is overkill if the only purpose is for listening to audio tracks. While I do have the computers, I feel extremely guilty about the power consumption that goes on. I am slowly planning to switch to solar and I desperately want to cut down the use of power at every juncture (not to mention the costs)

So, is there anyway, (or anywhere or anyone whom I could contact) that I could avoid having computers?

Here are more details:
  1. I cannot give away the tracks because it would amount to piracy.
  2. The students need to answer questions as they listen, and for this they have to be at a place with their test booklets in hand
  3. Each student might be listening to a different track, so a solution where a single track is beamed to all headsets is out of the question
  4. I want it to be low cost and also avoid all the wires and messes that are associated with having 20 PCs in 20 separate bays. (not to mention all the tricks people are upto when they are let loose, unsupervised on computers)
  5. Also, since the computers are in the lab, there is no other use they can be put to other than to listen to audio tracks

I have thought about buying MP3 players and have them bolted in place so they cannot be removed. Just to reiterate, the students are not really supervised, and I do not want them walking away with the players.

If there are any other ways of accomplishing this or if there are any better ways of going about my plan of buying multiple mp3 players, please do let me know, I will be most obliged.

AFAIK one solution would be thin clients

This are devices to which u can attach monitor keyboard and mouse the device doesn't have any processor or any ram like device they draw power from one server.

I think you should check regarding this just buy some decent desktop CPU no need for monitor keyboard and all that even CD drive is not needed after completing the setup.Just connect the thin clients to server through HUB i think.

Most of the banks and internet cafes now uses this technology i strongly support this as thin client is 3000/- for a good one and if you buy 20 or more u can even get huge discounts .

Mannuel, thank you for the reply. But the problem is, I already have all the computers I need. I just need something that can play audio, that is all. A thin client would require me to have a monitor and a keyboard at the terminal, i want to avoid these.

Who selects the tracks the students will hear. What is the level o control you desire? Is it an automated or manual setup?

I don't think there is enough information to even start thinking.

Who selects the tracks the students will hear. What is the level o control you desire? Is it an automated or manual setup?

I don't think there is enough information to even start thinking.

Well, that was a no-brainer, I forgot
<

The students select the tracks. Manual set-up. All i need is students having access to the 40 odd tracks without needing to use PCs. 40-odd computers just to play mp3s seems like a blasted waste of resources.

I am presently considering buying 40 basic mp3 players, loading tracks onto them and bolting them on to the tables. That way, students can select the tracks and lots of savings in power..

If you need any more info, ask away...

Let me think about it for a few days. You need to have some form of streaming which is user-controlled, like internet radio but served over LAN. Doesn't seem too difficult - a simple streamer-like device connected to a local network. The issue will be the server, not the client.

Back