Audio Technica M20 review

image003jr.jpg

First off a special thanks to Gautam from Pristine Note for loaning me two models of Audio Technicas studio monitor line up the M20 and the M35.

This review is of the smaller sibling the Audio Technica M20.

Now in the entry level segment my favourite was always the Koss Portapros and no other headphone in the entry level range had ever manage to capture my heart as they did. Of course there were reservations about them. First off the build quality is hardly reassuring. Also their isolation was something best left unsaid. That said their forward midrange and generally neutral sound stole my heart ! :ashamed:

So franly I wasnt very enthusiastic when I agreed to review these two cans considering how much I liked the Portapros which retail somewhere between these two headphones (in India at least).

This is the first of the two headphones on review.

These are priced at around 2100 (Thats a special TE only price. They retail for Rs 2200 on his website) and at that price point there are a plethora of headphones like the Koss Portapros, Sennheiser HD202, HD201, Philips SPH8500 etc.

Build quality and comfort

Build quality is very reassuring and far better than my beloved Portapros. I can see them lasting for many years.

The 10 ft cable is coiled and measures approximately 3 ft when not stretched.

It comes with a standard 3.5mm jack and has a 6.5 snap in adapter.

The headphones are light and have a weak clamping force. This leads to a less than stellar isolation but on the bright side they are very comfortable. Not as comfortable as their own open headphones like the AD700 but not bad by any means. I have worn them for many hours at a stretch without discomfort.

Some Photos

image004ey.jpg

image006uq.jpg

image010yk.jpg

image011ts.jpg

Sound

They were burned in for about 10 hours before reviewing and I found very little (if any) changes in the sound during that time so they do not require any significant burn-in time to sound their best.

My test setup was either my BlackBerry phone and my Music Streamer II DAC (connected directly w/o any amping). Both sources were loud enough for most people but some might require more volume (*cough* Faheem *cough*) :eek:hyeah:

Bass - Bass has got decent punch and impact but no where as good as their bigger brother the M50s. Speed is decent and it has a slight bass hump which gives them a warm sound. Bass is quite tight and they are never boomy or uncontrolled. The portapros have a bigger bass hump to pass off for bass but sounds shallow compared to the M20s.

Mids - Mids are slightly recessed. That said the mids have a good amount of detail and are a bit warm in nature. This is the biggest difference between the Portapros and the M20s as the Portapros have an in your face sound with forward mids. The slightly recessed mids adds to the neutral dark character of these cans.

Treble - Treble is a bit recessed compared to the bass and mids. A little sparkle is there but by and large they are very smooth, grain free but lacks that energy to offer a very engaging sound. However a little EQ in that region can help a lot. The advantage of having a smooth treble like this is zero harshness and fatigue. Detailing is very good for the M20s price point.

Soundstage - Very good for a closed can. Width is pretty good along with depth. Height is a bit off due to the recessed treble but adding an EQ fixes that. Imaging and Positioning is above average and for its price point amazing ! :)

The overall sound is rather laid back and fatigue free. They sound good with a variety of genres and with a little EQ I could enjoy almost all genres.

Compared to my favourite Portapros I must say its a very close fight. The M20s have better soundstage and bass. However the Portapros have better mids and highs along with instrument separation. So its still a toss up between the two. The build quality and isolation of the M20s is however far better than the Portapros though.

There was not much improvement going from my BlackBerry phone to the Music Streamer II so these should sound great from even an onboard sound card.

Conclusion

Who should avoid these cans ?

Bassheads and people looking for a very engaging sound should look elsewhere.

Vocal lovers might not like these cans due to the slightly recessed midrange.

Treble heads too will not be too pleased with these cans.

Who should go for these cans ?

Those who want a more or less neutral sound with decent tight bass.

People looking for a rugged light weight headphone that will run fine on a portable or onboard sound card.

Considering the nice sound and rugged build I can safely recommend them to anyone looking for nice VFM headphones. :)

Re: Audio Technica M20 & M35 review

BF1983 said:
A little sparkle is there but by and large they are very smooth, grain free but lacks that energy to offer a very engaging sound. However a little EQ in that region can help a lot. ...

Who should avoid these cans ?

Bassheads....

Vocal lovers ....

Bassheads and Vocal lovers get a line each, but what about treble heads? :mad:. Nice review, BTW.

PS: Add your list of reviews to the compendium

Re: Audio Technica M20 & M35 review

Nice pictures! I can see that you had to reach good angles to capture all that you needed to highlight... I am glad that you have found them at par with Koss Portapro, considering that they retail in the country with a MRP of 3999/-. Koss has been loved by lot, but they have very poor build quality like you correctly pointed out. They are very capable against Sennheiser HD202, HD201 etc. I find them quite adequate on the treble, but then sound is perceived in the head :D.

You must have really been impressed with these as you compared them with big brother ATH-M50 in the bass section! Considering the fact that M50 are almost 3 and half times more expensive and they are quite adored by the audio buffs.

In all quite a nice and compact review. I am also glad that you didnt used extra gear and amp to review them. It actually makes sense that way.

esanthosh said:
Bassheads and Vocal lovers get a line each, but what about treble heads? :mad:. Nice review, BTW.

PS: Add your list of reviews to the compendium
Wait for the review on ATH-T500 that is the Audio Technica's reply for treble heads and non bass lovers. They have all aluminum enclosure to ensure that very same.

We are considering a deal for TE community for 110% money back guarantee, if they find a better sounding headphones with similar build quantity. This is however not been decided as yet. ;-)

Neat review Brendon. :thumb:

My roomie must be among the first few owners of the M20. Pitted it against the cheaper HD202, HD201 and got this one finally from Gautam and both of us were pleased with the build and sound quality.

@Pristine: Sound is subjective, I might show up with a pair of HD202's and say they sound better for me. :p

Also, I might drop by your shop as I want to demo a few Audio Technica pieces before I buy.

Expect me by April. :p

@akshay7g, Gannu, toxicdrift - Thanks !

@esantosh - Thanks dude, added the part about the treble heads as per your request! :p

But frankly those looking at excellent treble and detail wont find it in any 2k headphone. Bassheads have headphones like the HD202, Vocal lovers have the Portapros forward midrange but treble sparkle lovers have to pony up the big bucks of better headphones. :)

@pristine-note - Thanks ! I purposely made this review rather short given the target audio of these phones. Rest assured the M35 review will be far longer as I intend to compare it to the HD650 and YH-100 ! Yeah its not a fair comparison but frankly the difference in SQ is far far lesser than the difference in price !!! :D

@OverlorD - Your ears are the best judge of sound quality preferences. A lot of people find my 16k HD650s sound pretty bad as it doesn't suit their sound signature. Thats why auditioning headphones/earphones is always the best way to ensure you wont be disappointed. :)

@BF1983: Would these headphones surpass the HD202's in terms of bass?

I am a self-proclaimed bass-head and I like them thumps. :p

Looking forward to your M35 review as it is the headphone I am currently looking at. :)

BF1983 said:
@akshay7g, Gannu, toxicdrift - Thanks !

@esantosh - Thanks dude, added the part about the treble heads as per your request! :p

But frankly those looking at excellent treble and detail wont find it in any 2k headphone. Bassheads have headphones like the HD202, Vocal lovers have the Portapros forward midrange but treble sparkle lovers have to pony up the big bucks of better headphones. :)

@pristine-note - Thanks ! I purposely made this review rather short given the target audio of these phones. Rest assured the M35 review will be far longer as I intend to compare it to the HD650 and YH-100 ! Yeah its not a fair comparison but frankly the difference in SQ is far far lesser than the difference in price !!! :D

@OverlorD - Your ears are the best judge of sound quality preferences. A lot of people find my 16k HD650s sound pretty bad as it doesn't suit their sound signature. Thats why auditioning headphones/earphones is always the best way to ensure you wont be disappointed. :)
I can understand that! I have been recommending the ATH-M35. However the usual answer is, how come there is no review of these in the net? Well Audio Technica has recently launched these and they will be replacing the both M30 and M40. I totally agree with you, they sound much larger than their prices. Waiting for your review.

Nice Review BF1983, short, and to the point.

Any views on how does they compare with traditional Philips headphone, SHP2700 or SHP8900.

OverlorD - I haven't heard the HD202 bass so I cannot compare the two. The M20 has the tight/fast kind of bass so those who want that subwoofer kinda bass will find it lacking. These are generally neutral headphones and nothing is overtly exaggerated. From what I have read the HD202 bass is a bit boomy and exaggerated. So if you like bass like that then you wont find it in the M20s.

@adi_vastava - I haven't heard the SHP2700 or the SHP8900 but I have heard the SHP9000 which shares the same driver as the SHP8900 and the 9000 sounded a bit thin and bass light. The 9000 had better treble than the M20s though. Also the SHP 9000 are open headphones and most open headphones are bass light but have better soundstage.

The SHP 8900 retail for 2.7k or so but build quality was not upto the mark and that's the reason Philips discontinued that model. The only thing I really liked about the SHP9000 was the comfort. They were big but lightweight and covered your ears completely. :)

But I feel if you can spend around 3.4k you should get the M35. The M35 is significantly better than the M20s (they also cost almost 70% more also) and M35s have everything one could want in a headphone - bass, mids, treble, soundstage and build quality ! Stay tuned for the review.

TechHead said:
Thanks Brendon. Any comparison with the Senn PX100s? Are these ok to use while walking/running?
If I may answer that query, nope. They are not exactly the portable types. :)

Nice review Brendon . I am more eager to read the M35 review as it was one of my favourite headphones in their complete line-up .Infact I found it more VFM than the M50 as well :p

Back