Audio Audioengines - burn-in?

TechHead

ex-Mod
Had to get my older pair replaced under warranty.. sound was completely off-target in both, reason(s) unknown. I got the new pair hooked up.. sound is very... neutral, and treble heavy, Sources are : my x-fi, iRiver and sister's iPod.

Do these require burn-in? Wasn't needed on the earlier pair.

in a general perspective, i'll say every good speaker has it's break-in period. they start to sound better after 2-3 weeks.

PS - my general perspective here is car audio. i assume same applies to pc audio.

[OT] Ravin, do these require a dedicated amp or an external sound card for that matter??

DP was suggesting me to go for these instead of the MX5021; But I do play games more often than listening to music. [OT]

stick to mx5021, for games you will need a sub, personally was just looking for something compact.

sorry TH for ot

gannu said:
Ravin, do these require a dedicated amp or an external sound card for that matter??

DP was suggesting me to go for these instead of the MX5021; But I do play games more often than listening to music.

Audioengine AE2 do not require a dedicated amp or an external sound card :)

as for gaming speakers in 12k nothing would beat the Logitech Z-5300 :D

Audioengine AE2 do the work of a subwoofer beautifully so I would buy them over MX5021 any given day ;)

mate, bfore going in for any of the abv check them for urself first. the individual opinions abt various options are subjective. i hv both - the ae and the mx. the mx surpasses the ae in bass due to the sub. try out all the options, including the logitech(which has a lot of bass producing capacity) before going in for what suits u.

What was the 'problem' with the earlier pair?

It does take some time to get accustomed to the way speakers sound, as each pair sounds slightly different. Burn-in happens two-way, the speaker itself burns in and our ears burn in to get used to the speaker. The end result may or may not be a happy one.

Most speakers fresh out of the box are a little bass-shy, as the spiders are usually pretty stiff to start out with. This may be what you're hearing. Or AE got wise and finally gave the speakers a flat frequency response, removing the low frequency hump.

bottle said:
what happened to the older pair ? planning to pick up one soon as well

No clue. The sound just started sounding weird.. all watery and unstable, for want of a better description. Gave it back to Ashu at bajaao, his office is 10 minutes away from mine, got a new pair the next day.

No worries for the OT.. as long as it helps someone, no issues.

@Sangram: As explained above, they just started sounding weird. Ashu is doing some detective work on them. I do not play them too loud, ~30% levels for 1-1.5 hours a day.

It is already starting to sound better, will update in the evening.. I have it plugged into an iPod, shuffling some old-skool hip-hop.

My A2's too didn't sound great out of the box.
After playing music for almost 2 hours at ~30% volume level the sound improved considerably, particularly the low frequency response.

And they just sound too good now...love them.:D

@TechHead
I'd recommend you download some specialized "run-in" music disc. It is supposed to exercise the drivers to loosen them up and get tourself ready to listen to them as well (As Sangram has pointed out)

take your time to burn them in.. my pair of A5s took a good 50-60hrs of listening before i'm comfortable with the sound.. another pair of my Usher S520 bookshelves did a good 100hrs before.. now they sound amazing, even when paired with a Nuforce Icon portable amp i recently bought..

ot, speaking of the Nuforce Icon, it's really a remarkable piece of audio engineering.. check out 6moons audio reviews: NuForce Icon

Back