Auto Logon & Lock v1.0

Torch

Disciple
Here's an app I made since I had trouble with installing uTorrent as a service on Windows 7.

Download: Auto Logon & Lock v1.0

You can have your Windows PC automatically login to a user account on boot and then lock the desktop so a password is still required.

Some of the reasons you might want to do this are:

* Faster boot time. The additional post-logon start up items are also started after Windows boots. Which means when you press the power button on your PC and come back after a few minutes, its completely booted up. No need to wait for additional software to load after you logon.

* Automatically resume downloads etc. when your PC reboots due to a power failure or crash. On XP you could do this by installing the application as a system service. In Vista and 7, Session 0 Isolation makes using a system service a pain, not to mention it's insecure. Just put your applications in the regular Windows Start Up folder and they will be launched after the auto logon.

* It password protects Safe Mode as well. Existing auto logon methods leave Safe Mode unprotected.

* It locks the desktop before Explorer is started. Other methods auto-lock using an autorun/start up entry which leave the PC logged on and unlocked until the autorun entries are executed (which can even take several minutes).

session 0 isolation is insecure? i thought it was made cause there were many startup programs that took administrator privileges during logon to a comp. the session 0 basically denies most of the unwanted programs from taking those privileges. So how can you say its insecure?

It's insecure to run random applications as services in session 0 aside from those which are designed to run as a service (one would assume a service would be more thoroughly designed and secured than a desktop application). If you make an app a service and it can be exploited, the entire system is vulnerable.

Back