AV Receiver - buying help

bookoon

Disciple
OK… this is my first post in this website..so if I am at a wrong section please move this to the right one.
(My computer knowledge is limited and I will try to keep up with you folks.)

I am trying to connect some of the audio/ video components in my house thru an AV receiver, that I am planning to buy in another three months. I plan to connect the following (some I have and some I do not have yet)
1. TV (right now I am still using the CRT one); probably will get a 32 incher from LG.
2. DTH Set top box (Airtel – not a HD one)
3. DVD player (Philips DVP 3588) Philips - DVD player with HDMI and USB DVP3588/94 - DVD Players - Blu-ray and DVD - Sound and vision
4. A set of good 5.1 Speakers…. Need to get that.. thinking about JBL
5. HTPC……Need to get this one too…really encouraged to see the following guide.. http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/full-guide-build-cheap-powerful-htpc-181179.html now I know what to do with the components of my current PC (1.80 GHz AMD Athlon 64/ MS-7093/ 1GB – 4 years old)
6. Playstation 3 (with move)….This is coming in Feb next year.

Let’s talk about the AV receiver first. I have a ‘L’ shaped living room (typical of any small 1BHk in Mumbai:)). The TV and receiver/ Speaker would be set in an area of 7.5 feet by 8.5 feet (64 sq feet), whereas the total room area is about 87 sq feet. Just adjacent to the place where we sit for watching TV, is a room of 100 sq feet.

Important thing first.. I need to keep the budget of AV receiver and Speaker set at 30K (definitely under 35K):(

I had initially thought about Yamaha HTiB YHT-392. This is available at around 30K. Product Details | YAMAHA Music India Pvt. Ltd.
However after the demo at Hypercity, I felt that the sound was cracking at higher volume. Basically I was highly let down by the sound quality.:no:

In comparison Harman Kardaon (cinesystem 140) with JBL speakers sounded great. However the model included AVR 133 which did not have HDMI. (However the recently launched model 134 has that India JBL). However the treble was a bit too high for my liking. Plus I did not like the look of the Woofer.

The India JBL Cinesystem 200 sounded better due to the dual drive satellite speaks (most probably). It has the same woofer though.

So folks, in short, please let me have your advice on choosing the AVR and set of speakers within my budget/ room size and the suitable for the equipments that I plan to hook up. Please let me know if I need to have a plan to hook up anything else. I am going to use this for music and movies/ TV. :S

Please remember to mention the place in Mumbai where I might get the stuff (at great discounts, obviously!!)

Dear Moderators please feel free to edit this post if I have blabbered too much. :thanx:

I am also in the same boat as you. Try listening to onkoyo high 3300. Have heard some great reviews about the same. Available for around 25k in places like reliance digital.

HI Aman and switch

I did get thru the 3300 reviews. and the "group buy for 20K" thread for the same.
However most of the reviews said it is great for movies but not so great for music. I guess I am more of a music fan than movies.
but you are right; it is probably the best bang for bucks right now. Any ideas on the 5300 model?

thanks for your inputs.

Two things you should know about the Onkyo:

1. No power at all for demanding movie soundtracks. The power supply has to also deal with the passive subwoofer, and this robs all other channels of power when a bass transient hits the system.

2. No detail at all for music due to the single tiny 3" driver. It really sounds very flat unless you start dialling up some of the settings (and then it sounds unnatural).

It's kind of cheap and easy. Not that you will really have many choices in your budget range. For that kind of money and if you require surround sound, you will have problems of one kind or another.

The JBL SCS140 system is better sounding, I have the same speakers with a Pioneer receiver - still not good enough for music or movies, but just about enough for gaming and the occasional downloaded TV show. For movies I still prefer my main speakers even though it's 'only' stereo.

OK thanks , as you are using the POLK audio floorstanders with them How good is the Stereo part of the receiver ?

Check PM sushant !

Thanks for your inputs, especially to you, cranky... seems 3300 would not fit the bill (or my ears, rather). I need to find some thread for discussion on Harman Kardaon systems. Anybody can help me on finding the correct vendor for this make in Navi Mumbai/ Mumbai? seems that no discounts are being offered on these.

Looking for reviews on Cinestyle 9 (AVR 142 and HKTS 9 speaker).. MRP is 39990...

Happy New year to all of you folks out there...

OK folks.. bought this today from e-zone

Onkyo SKS HT528 Speaker + Free Onkyo TXSR 307 Home Theater Receiver (at Rs 28900)... the speaker system has an active subwoofer.. so i hope "cranky" would support this but.. donno about the price though.. looked good to me...

here is the link if you want to have a look ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

Also got the LG 32 incher LCD today...

today is a good day :)... yahooo... (i will worry about bank balance later.. let me enjoy this moment)

Ok... I got the PS3 today (with two free games) and the move starter pack (plus a move game - "Sports Champion")....

so my list is complete except for the HTPC... which will have to wait... i am totally bankrupt my friends... i hope i get some good increment in April this year... i will start to oil my boss right away :))

thank you all. i will trouble you again when i go for my PC upgrade.

BTW, you are welcome to give suggestions on how to hook things up to my Onkyo 307.

Back