Average battery life on gaming laptops?

Futureized

Skilled
Recently bought this from Amazon.
Dell [SmartChoice] G15-5520 Gaming Laptop, Intel i5-12500H/8GB DDR5/512GB SSD/Win 11 + MSO'21/NVIDIA RTX 3050 (4GB GDDR6)/15.6" (39.62cm) FHD WVA AG 120Hz /Backlit KB Orange/Dark Shadow Grey/2.81 kg
Amazon.in

My performance was less then half on factory setup laptop, did a clean install of 11 to achieve below results.
Gaming tested on Far Cry primal (released in 2016 with high settings)

Got some queries:
While charger connected and gaming {maximum number of hours till temperature of cpu or gpu starts hitting 96+)
Mine starts going above 96* C after 40+ minutes.

On battery mode (I assume it is not suggested to play gpu intensive games when only on battery)
Tried and battery goes to 20% from 100 in less then 25 minutes

Average battery life when non gaming or doing photo/video edits.
Using normally for anything like browsing, Yt, social media, ms office or watching movies.
(mine from 100 to 25 in 2 hours and 30 minutes apprx.)

From what I understood after reading lot of articles, this is average life on gaming laptops?

I missed this better alternative

Only difference between two is
Asus had ddr4 while del gives ddr5 ram
Asus gives 90wH battery cupboard to dell 53 wh (major difference in battery life)
Asus as well had 2x ssd slots while feel provides 1.

What are your opinions?

This model is not known to hold on too long which is fine in that range.

1693420793992.png

1693420817472.png

I had an Acer Nitro 5 with i7 9750H and GTX 1650 a couple years ago which gave about 5.5-6.5 hrs of battery life on light use (same usage as yours) with brightness at around 5-20%. However, I did undervolt the laptop using ThrottleStop and switched refresh rate to 60hz on battery (compared to 144hz on AC power). Do look into UV it is still supported by your processor. It had a 52Wh battery I think. However, I used it plugged in and battery at 100% for about 3 months continuously (during lockdown), which degraded my battery a lot since I was gaming and video editing a lot, and now it gives me about 4hr battery backup after 25% battery degradation.

Currently I am using a Helios 300 with RTX 3060 and 10870H, from which I get about 5-6hr battery life with the same settings as above (52Wh battery, UV and 60hz on battery power), both RAM slots and all three storage slots filled (2x NVMe and 1x SATA 2.5 SSD). Definitely try UV or at least refresh rate limitation on battery power to improve battery life.

I had an Acer Nitro 5 with i7 9750H and GTX 1650 a couple years ago which gave about 5.5-6.5 hrs of battery life on light use (same usage as yours) with brightness at around 5-20%. However, I did undervolt the laptop using ThrottleStop and switched refresh rate to 60hz on battery (compared to 144hz on AC power). Do look into UV it is still supported by your processor. It had a 52Wh battery I think. However, I used it plugged in and battery at 100% for about 3 months continuously (during lockdown), which degraded my battery a lot since I was gaming and video editing a lot, and now it gives me about 4hr battery backup after 25% battery degradation.

Currently I am using a Helios 300 with RTX 3060 and 10870H, from which I get about 5-6hr battery life with the same settings as above (52Wh battery, UV and 60hz on battery power), both RAM slots and all three storage slots filled (2x NVMe and 1x SATA 2.5 SSD). Definitely try UV or at least refresh rate limitation on battery power to improve battery life.
UV *Under Volt* not supported by my processor
ThrottleShop seems ideal tool to maximize battery life but I dont want to get into hassle of ThrottleStop since unsure about most of its settings.
I have set display from 120 to 60 hz

Can someone confirm what tool is this which gives details about CPU/GPU /RAM/FPS (Not sure what is Mem1)
Also it seems Vulkan is game name WITH current FPS.

Probably MSI AfterBurner ?
Just confused how MSI software can run on other manufacturers hardware like Dell/Asus

Last edited:
UV *Under Volt* not supported by my processor
ThrottleShop seems ideal tool to maximize battery life but I dont want to get into hassle of ThrottleStop since unsure about most of its settings.
I have set display from 120 to 60 hz

Can someone confirm what tool is this which gives details about CPU/GPU /RAM/FPS (Not sure what is Mem1)
Also it seems Vulkan is game name WITH current FPS.

Probably MSI AfterBurner ?
Just confused how MSI software can run on other manufacturers hardware like Dell/Asus
It's msi afterburner and rtss https://pcgamehaven.com/easily-monitor-cpu-gpu-usage-gaming/

Afterburner is manufacturer agnostic and one of the most popular tools used to over/under clock.

Vulkan is a graphics standard/api, sort of like opengl or DirectX.

Back