Avg Salary expectation for someone with 6.5 years experience (Software Development)

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
What should a guy with 6.5 Years experience (Product Developement in C++ on Mac/Win for the most part) and currently in the role of Tech Lead expect in terms of salaries these days for Tech Lead/SSE or equivalent designation?
What is the avg and high end of the salary spectrum for this experience level in case I am moving to a new company?
Also any further info about salaries for this level in the mobile game development arena would also be helpful.

Re: Avg Salary expectation for someone with 6.5 years experience (Software Developmen

Most of my friends in software companies(~5 years experience) are getting salaries in the 10-15 lpa range. Dunno how such a general estimate is going to help you as salaries are pretty subjective.

Re: Avg Salary expectation for someone with 6.5 years experience (Software Developmen

It depends on the company and your graduating college.

IIT + top notch company like MS/Google etc I would say 15-25L or so at least

IIT + average company Around 10-15L

non IIT + top notch company at a decent position 10-20L or so

non IIT + top notch company + entry level position (because of shifting from a high position crap company to a low position in a top company like googe/ibibo) 8-15L

non IIT + avg company 6-12L (slightly above average)

non IIT dot avg everything 4-8 L

I don't think that you would come in the dot avg everything probably.

You would probably come in the 2 or 3 part, non IIT top entry or above avg avg company, so I think around 8-15L or so should be your target assuming that you get at least 70-80% of that already!

also would depend on your leadership skills , social skills and who is your boss

After 6.5 yrs of exp it doesnt really matter if you are from IIT or non IIT. What depends is your current salary, the company you are joining and the way you project yourself. You should be looking at a Tech Lead position somewhere b/w 12L -18L. Can expect more in certain product companies which pay you better. One of my friend moved from my company to Broadcom with 6 yrs exp for 21 lpa.

Get to know how much the company is paying for 6 yrs exp through some contact. Demand 20-30% more and negotiate with HR.

Just to give some more context, I have an M.Tech from IIIT-A. I think my current pay is out of sync from the rest of industry. I was geting 9.25 LPA by the time I had 3.75 Years of Expr. After that I got only one minor increment in the next 2.75 years (courtesy of recession) taking my salary to 10.5 LPA. Essentially, I wanted to know what to expect on avg for my expr level so I can use that to set expectations during salary negotiations.

You are moving to Hyderabad from Mohali, and from what little I know of you Hyderabad might be your home town (or thereabouts). The HR might try to haggle with you on this and try to say that since you are from Hyd or thereabouts your salary hike need not be as high as if you had been moving to a different town (say Mumbai/Bangalore/Whatever) but dont fall into this trap. Try to get the figure from them first, say that your expectations are negotiable and that you would first like to know the avg. salary that is paid by the company to a person of your profile. Then lay your cards down. All in all, I think you should ask for a Salary of 15+. I'd say you deserve that much atleast. Good Luck! :)

Even I would say that you should aim for at least 14-15. If you are really lucky, it might touch 20.

Thanks for all the info/tips guy's. Thought I should post back that I managed to land an offer for around 15 LPA :D

Good stuff, congrats moving from 10 to 15. Like Darthcoder posted, totally in line with reasonable expectations I'd think :)

Lord Nemesis said:
Thanks for all the info/tips guy's. Thought I should post back that I managed to land an offer for around 15 LPA :D

Lord Mama, Party for my helpu? ;) :p.
Biryani tindaam (Best biryani in Hyd, promise ;) ).

Back