CPU/Mobo B450 or X470 AM4 motherboard

sumchamp

Skilled
I am looking for a AM4 motherboard and shortlisted Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro and Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra. I would like to know how different they are from each other and which one would perform better with Ryzen 2700x.

PS: No SLI or overclocking in future

For 2700X, either should be fine. But if you have plans for Zen 2 and 8+ cores for future, then stick with X470 platform. As premium boards, they have beefy and better overall power delivery designs.

FYI, I am running a 2700X on a Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7.

And yeah, cpu overlooking is pointless on these CPUs. Only memory overclock is good enough. That is what I am doing.

I think I saw a crosshair VI for sale in forum. If you can get that then nothing like that.
I have the same and I would say go for the Aorus series as Asus support in terms of updates is not that good for a flagship board compared to Gigabyte.
My choice after over a year of hindsight would be the Taichi or Aorus Gaming series.

To be honest, Asus Crosshair series is a tinkerer board. It is a board you buy when you are going to spend a big chunk of your time experimenting with overclock's or trying to set new records and willing to install potentially unstable firmware releases. Asus keeps experimenting with the firmware and so things often break and get fixed between releases. It is not the best of choices for people looking for a high end board for 24/7 stable operation.

I've got a 2700x running on an x470 board, the Asus Crosshair VII Hero. The reason I went with the x470 board is that I can run my NVMe PCI-e in slot 2 at 4x. Only the x470 board directly connects the slot 2 to the processor. If you use slot 1, you share the bandwidth with your GPU, Which will slow it down.

Back