Shrapnel

Recruit
Hello Experts,

Need a new graphics card,
I3 3220
Gigabyte b75 d3h
Corsair 500 watts psu
Will the motherboard support gtx 960 or am I better off buying the 750 ti 2gb

It should work just fine. The 3220 is a good enough CPU to feed a 960.

I'm using an ATI 7970 GHz edition and it is gpu limited with a i3 4130. The 3220 is 98% the performance of a 4130 so you should be fine with a 960 which is a significantly slower gpu.

Thanks Chaos, appreciate the response, honestly I'm at my wits end trying to select the best option for the graphics card, could you please suggest a one, my budget is around 15k for the graphics card with the aforementioned config. Expectation is to be able to play gta v at the highest resolution above 30 fps. Thanks your suggestion as always is most appreciated.

Yes, your motherboard will support it. (any mobo with a working pci-e 2.0 port will support it)
gtx 960 is a huge performance jump over the 750ti so if it's in budget go with the 960.
any sandy bridge cpu will suffice (your i3 is an even newer ivy bridge) so no worries. naturally you won't be able to squeeze every last drop out of your gpu but you will definitely get great frames at high quality settings.
Just one word of caution - do not overclock anything since you're using a corsair psu (i'm guessing it's the vs500).

Thanks Chaos, appreciate the response, honestly I'm at my wits end trying to select the best option for the graphics card, could you please suggest a one, my budget is around 15k for the graphics card with the aforementioned config. Expectation is to be able to play gta v at the highest resolution above 30 fps. Thanks your suggestion as always is most appreciated.

Either the GTX960 or a second hand HD79** series card.

Can you specify which PSU you have? I do not recall any recent Corsair 500W SKU on the market, they have started retailing with a +50W increment on their units. Their last 500W SKU being the CX v.2 500W.

Your motherboard and CPU should have no problem keeping the GTX960 running at speed. The HD79** and R9-380 though will suffer slightly.
Just one word of caution - do not overclock anything since you're using a corsair psu (i'm guessing it's the vs500).

I do not think it is a VS series PSU, simply because there is no 500W SKU in that line, it is, 350W -->450W -->550W -->650W.

Must be an older CX PSU, which in themselves were not to shabby. He can try to extract a little extra from the GTX960 which might get bottlenecked by the CPU.

Back