CPU/Mobo B75M-D3H : GPU Display goes blank; On-board works fine

! 0 t A

Skilled
Hi,

I have this issue that has been driving me crazy. I recently bought this motherboard/RAM/CPU combo from coldfear00 here @ TE . I did a fresh install with Windows 8.1 on a new SSD and everything worked fine. But, when i tried to install my graphics card (Also working fine) : HD 5850 in the PCIe slot, the display goes blank after a few seconds (2-3).

Even if i am in the BIOS mode the display will go blank after POST with single beep. It works fine when i disconnect the GPU and use the onboard graphics.

My Specs :
1. CPU : i7 3700
2. GPU : HD 5850
3. RAM : 2 x 4GB HyperX
4. Mobo : GIGABYTE B75M-D3H
5. PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro 600 W (80 Plus)

Things that I have tried :
1. Reset BIOS and try.
2. Made the BIOS setting of "Legacy" in PCI Devices.
3. Made the IGX setting to "Enable" "Disable"
4. Changed Initdisplay to "PEG"

The PC is booting fine with a single beep. It is only the display part which is not letting me proceed.

Can anyone please suggest a way out ????

I was somehow able to get it running by randomly pulling and putting cable back onto the motherboard.

The graphics card ran and the PC was stable for more than 4 hours. Gaming performance was a bit patchy, however as soon as wanted to start BF4, the PC shutdown (powered off) and again went back to the same state.

Post that, it has been the same story , it goes back into the loop of the "Blank Screen" and sometimes does turn on perfectly. When it did, i tried the CPU and GPU stress test. Apart for the low Furmark score on my GPU (390) , the temp were around 80-90 mark on 100% load.

I am guessing it is the GPU or the PSU ? I don't have spare peripherals to test it out though :(

Make sure the motherboard chipset drivers are up to date as that deals with pci-e slots and so on.
how's the case airflow? components are designed to shut down when temps get high to avoid self-destructing.

i was in a situation similar to yours.
i had a hd 4890 that was being replaced with a 280x so i figured since drivers are the same(and up to date) i only need swap them and boot.
the new card gave no output at all ("input signal not detected") but the old card worked fine and so did the onboard vga (intel igp)
multiple driver re-installs didn't help even after some tweaks and fiddling with the bios.

what (i think) finally worked was:
-boot in safe mode
-uninstall the old driver using 'display driver uninstaller' (even if it's the same driver you're going to install back)
-reboot back into safe mode again (if windows asks to install drivers click 'no')
-install the new drivers
-reboot into normal mode and it should work.

also, what os were you using prior to win 8.1?
p.s. the latest catalyst drivers are 15.7 but i'd suggest you try the older omega drivers first as they have been around a while and no major stability issues have been reported.

One Question : When the issue happens, the display goes blank even if i am in the BIOS. . so i am assuming that this is not to do with the display drivers. As when i hooked up the new config, i did a fresh install on a new SSD (Freshly formatted).

And yes I am on the latest stable driver package from AMD for Win 8.1.

Borrow a GPU from a friend and see if the same issue occurs on that GPU as well. If so, the board that was sold to you has a faulty PCI-E slot.

You can use 2nd PCIe (x4)slot without any problem. I am telling u this because want to check if it is PCIe slot problem or GPU . So please install GPU in 2nd PCIe slot and chk.

I tried to run the system with the GPU in the 4x PCIe slot.. But still the same thing.. The PC boots into windows (with a lowered resolution for some reason) and then *poof* the display goes blank.. And monitor displays "no signal detected".

Now what do i have left with GPU or PSU ? But i dont understand why they were working in my previous C2D setup flawlessly.. Can the change of processor really disturb power distribution by so much ? If not can the card suddenly die ... Even though it gives display sometimes and i was even able to play some games with it ?

I tried to run the system with the GPU in the 4x PCIe slot.. But still the same thing.. The PC boots into windows (with a lowered resolution for some reason) and then *poof* the display goes blank.. And monitor displays "no signal detected".

Now what do i have left with GPU or PSU ? But i dont understand why they were working in my previous C2D setup flawlessly.. Can the change of processor really disturb power distribution by so much ? If not can the card suddenly die ... Even though it gives display sometimes and i was even able to play some games with it ?

Try GPU on another system. If it works fine on other system then main problem with PSU (or may with Mobo also).

Pls try and update.

Can a fellow TEian in Pune help me out here ?

I do not know anyone in Pune who has a decent setup where i can go and test it out :(

Some weird problem started coming and the boot beep also went away. In essence it stopped booting up altogether (Even on on board graphics).
Took it to a computer shop and the same behaviour continued with another power supply.

Have given it to GIGABYTE Service centre today as it was under warranty. Would test it once i get the replacement piece back.

Got the motherboard from RMA and its working fine as of now.

I also took apart my heat-sink from the GPU (5850 MSI Twin Frozer) and reapplied the thermal paste and tightened the screws. .it helped bring down the ideal temp by 15 Deg :)

Last edited:
Boom ! The ghost is back :(.

So i plugged in the new motherboard and everything worked fine as i stated above. After a day or so i woke up the next morning and tried turning on the PC and the below wierd thing happened :

1. It turned on and then turned off again after 1-2 seconds. Then it turned on again, but did not boot. The fans were running and everything was powered on (including HDDs) but no display, no keyboard lights and no mouse power.
2. I unplugged everything and cleared out the static by pressing the power button and it booted normally.
3. However post shutdown it again went into this state and has been stuck there ever since. NO POST-NO Display-Fan/HDD Powered ON.

In between al this, i played BF4/3 at high settings and ran stress tests to ensure temps and volts are stable.

DId i blow my mobo again ? I did notice a screw which was wedged on the back of the mobo while unhooking everything. Could that have done something ? Or is my PSU dying ?

Back