Ban on VPN in India.

I dont think banning VPNs as a whole is something India can do as it will have a HUGE IMPACT on the entire IT industry considering that they depend entirely on VPN services for working.

Any decision like this going live is going to have a huge bullwhip effect impacting markets too.

I seriously doubt this will actually take effect.

I worked closely with Juniper and Citrix when their VPN services got banned in China. Trust me, they are solution available to make it work without impacting the IT industry with little or no downtime.

I worked closely with Juniper and Citrix when their VPN services got banned in China. Trust me, they are solution available to make it work without impacting the IT industry with little or no downtime.

Possible but imagine the initial struggle. An act like this will definitely impact the country's ease of doing business internationally perception. Thoughts?

Trust me, they are solution available to make it work without impacting the IT industry with little or no downtime.
I'm unaware about specifics but people in China are still able to use VPN (maybe only techsavy people can). But things like these can't be effectively banned.

You can't trust the ISPs here and I'm not talking about them tracking your or blocking websites. BSNL keeps injecting ads (some containing malware) into regular http traffic. That's a major breach of trust for me. If your ISP is peddling junk like that, who knows what else they do with your data stream. It's on par with how your mobile number leaks when you use it in a legit application (like for a credit card for e.g.)

It's okay if big government is monitoring the major points but you still need to VPN out of the shady local nodes

Everyone is stealing your data - your phone, your VPN, your ISP, your neighbour, your dog.

You pay for privacy. Only buy well-known VPN services - one for which the risk of losing reputation by stealing customer data is greater than any potential profits.

The govt. won't ban VPNs.
After all, how else will the MPs jerk-off during parliament meetings?
You say that but they really don't care. https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/privacy/2021/03/21-million-free-vpn-users-data-exposed/?
Their response:
"we take full control of our infrastructure" implies that they 100% own the entire estate when in fact they rely on 3rd party providers which they had not fully audited for some rented servers.
These statements are very carefully worded which in itself is pretty dodgy and therefore damaging to a company where security is its core business.

Bad how? I'm curious
It was unusably slow the last I had tried it. +From what I have heard their support system is horrible and they only issue static IPs? I also don't think they are completely open source. We can't guarantee what they do with our data. Almost all mainstream VPN reviews are funded by major players one way or another.
Privacytools.io lists reliable tools that have been trusted for years.
I have only heard good things about Mullvad and ProtonVPN both of which happen to be completely open source. In fact, the Mozilla VPN is rebranded Mullvad!

It was unusably slow the last I had tried it. +From what I have heard their support system is horrible and they only issue static IPs? I also don't think they are completely open source. We can't guarantee what they do with our data. Almost all mainstream VPN reviews are funded by major players one way or another.
Privacytools.io lists reliable tools that have been trusted for years.
I have only heard good things about Mullvad and ProtonVPN both of which happen to be completely open source. In fact, the Mozilla VPN is rebranded Mullvad!
Surfshark supports openvpn connectivity. So we don't need to install their app on phone or desktop.

Last edited:
Back