Less than 10K Battery buying advice

geekyworld

Recruit
Hi friends,

My smartphone is 2 yrs old & it's battery is good.

Is it a good idea to buy a new battery now itself & keep aside, so I'll have a spare battery at hand when my battery fails in a few years?

I am thinking of doing this because a good original battery may not be easily available a few years from now. The battery is Li-ion, BN51.

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply Ankit. The problem is this, Li- ion batteries are said to become unchargable if they become completely discharged. Is this true?
Depends on battery age. Some batteries go into deep discharge state and when you charge it, it takes a while before it reaches 1% aka shows you some level of progress.
But in some of todays phones there is a feature wherein battery cannot be discharged under 5% or so and when the level hits the phone poweroff!

Owners of smartphones and laptops will know that they require more frequent charging as their batteries age and degrade, but knowing exactly why this is the case requires a basic understanding of how LiBs operate.

As the name suggests, LiBs operate through the movement of lithium ions. During charge and discharge, these lithium ions move through an electrolyte between two electrodes; known as the cathode and the anode.

The cathode is generally made up of a layered lithium-rich material in which lithium ions (Li-ions) sit between the layers. The anode is also a layered material which accepts Li-ions from the cathode and is usually graphite in LiBs. The Li-ions move from one electrode to another, through a conductive medium known as the electrolyte.

When you charge a LiB, the Li-ions stored in the cathode move through the electrolyte and into the anode, producing energy to power the electronic device.

When using a device powered by a LiB, the battery is discharged, and the Li-ions move from the anode through the electrolyte to return to the cathode. The capacity of a LiB refers to the maximum amount of energy that it can provide to a device from this Li-ion shuttling.

I recently got my OnePlus 6's battery replaced in an official service centre after almost 4 years. They had to order one because they did not have it stock in my city.

So, it depends on the manufacturers to make the spare parts available.

Back