Battery Discharge

If a laptop is not used for a week then how much of a batter discharge is normal? Does it help to disconnect the battery from the mobo if one is not going to use it for many weeks?
Is there a way to reset (not the right word) a battery? By that I mean I read that one should keep it plugged in even after its fully charged and then let it discharge to zero. Does this help a battery?

1713778808896.png

Source

Is there a way to reset (not the right word) a battery? By that I mean I read that one should keep it plugged in even after its fully charged and then let it discharge to zero. Does this help a battery?
This does not help the battery, this only calibrates the battery percentage to be accurate, so it shows true state of charge.

Does it help to disconnect the battery from the mobo if one is not going to use it for many weeks?
Not really, just charge it up to 60% and leave. Disconnecting the battery wouldn't make a huge difference, but if it does then there could be a another problem.

Last edited:
Depends on laptop, battery health, age etc.
I have 3 laptops... and for one of them, the battery depletes 100& if not used for 8-10 days. Other ones stay good for a month.

If a laptop is not used for a week then how much of a batter discharge is normal? Does it help to disconnect the battery from the mobo if one is not going to use it for many weeks?

Which laptop, what OS? It varies. There was a bug with some laptops and some versions of Windows 10 & 11 that drained the battery completely either overnight or over the course of a week. A few tech channels covered it:

This is called battery calibration and ideally it should be done once a month. Using the laptop until the battery is drained and let it shutdown and stay unplugged for a few hours or overnight before charging it up again.

This calibration helps the OS accurately calculate remaining time over the course of the life of the battery, which is why it should be done regularly.

Which laptop, what OS? It varies. There was a bug with some laptops and some versions of Windows 10 & 11 that drained the battery completely either overnight or over the course of a week. A few tech channels covered it:

This is called battery calibration and ideally it should be done once a month. Using the laptop until the battery is drained and let it shutdown and stay unplugged for a few hours or overnight before charging it up again.

This calibration helps the OS accurately calculate remaining time over the course of the life of the battery, which is why it should be done regularly.

I think he is talking about fully powered down laptop.

Depends on battery size. Even if you turn off every feature related to instant wake, quick boot etc, you may see 4-5% drain per day.

View attachment 195233
Source

This does not help the battery, this only calibrates the battery percentage to be accurate, so it shows true state of charge.

Not really, just charge it up to 60% and leave. Disconnecting the battery wouldn't make a huge difference, but if it does then there could be a another problem.
Thank you. So, 15% discharge seems ok in this 40ish degrees, as of now, weather?
You said to charge it upto 60% and leave, why 60%? Why not 80% or 100%?
What does calibration of a battery exactly do? And how to rightly calibrate a battery?
Depends on laptop, battery health, age etc.
I have 3 laptops... and for one of them, the battery depletes 100& if not used for 8-10 days. Other ones stay good for a month.
When you said stay good for a month, you mean no discharge at all? What's the weather in your area like?

Can't watch the video right now but went through its summary
The speaker discusses a YouTube video by Linus Tech Tips that highlighted battery drain issues with Windows Modern Standby, specifically its impact on laptop batteries and wireless communications while in sleep mode. Linus Tech Tips recommended unplugging laptops before closing the lid to prevent Modern Standby from maintaining wireless connections. However, the speaker presents an alternative solution discovered several months ago, which involves disabling Modern Standby's wireless functionality during sleep. Although this method results in a slight delay in Wi-Fi reconnection upon waking, it effectively addresses battery drain. The speaker shares links to the Linus Tech Tips video and the article detailing the solution, and provides instructions on how to implement the fix for both professional and home versions of Windows. For professional users, the speaker suggests using the group policy editor, while home users must utilize a registry edit. Detailed instructions on how to apply these fixes are provided.
Can you please eli5 what windows modern standby is and how to disable it? Is this thing still on/active if a machine is turned off?

Once or twice a week or month?
I think he is talking about fully powered down laptop.

Depends on battery size. Even if you turn off every feature related to instant wake, quick boot etc, you may see 4-5% drain per day.
So, 15-20% drain is normal in a week? How to disable instant wake, quick boot? And please share what other things comes under etc.?

While we are on this topic, a few questions might sound out of topic so please pardon me, but they are kinda related
a. Does quick boot lead to more writes on a ssd?
b. If the sleep button is selected instead of turn off/on then does it lead to more writes? I read somewhere and it said that hibernate leads to more writes but the start button doesn't show hibernate option here, anything wrong?
c. The options showing here on the right side are for the drives I read somehwere that all sleep options for ssds should be set to never as there's no moving part. Sounds good?
d. Unrelated, please eli5 defrag vs trim? As trim is auto enabled, how frequently should one enable defrag and does it lead to more writes?

And if possible share your views here too

@Heisen @nRiTeCh @rsaeon @desiibond

Last edited:
Back