Battle of Video Codecs: x264 vs XviD vs DivX

For HD

Video : x264/AVC Video Codec

Audio : AAC Multichannel Audio Or DTS Or AC3

Cont : MKV Container. [You can add multiple tracks , multi language subtitle files]

H.264/AVC Rocks any day , i some times re encode my HD Videos and compress it to a lower bitrate and save some space without compromising quality.

DVD Resolution Videos

Video : x264/AVC can compress to much smaller size with lower bitrates.

But still i prefer Divx 6.6 Pro @ 900Kbps and Extreme Quality Setting.

So this enables me to play those videos in my AVOX Video HDD Casing and on TV.

Audio : Mp3 128Kbps 48Khz

Cont : AVI

I capture a lot of TV recordings. I tried various codecs on these videos. Many of my TV recordings are grainy, not sharp and some have wavy disturbances in them (due to my ancient analog TV Tuner). So encoding these types of videos, here's what I found out:
x264 < XviD < DivX (Quality of video keeping bitrate same)
  1. x264 gave me lots of square blocks in the video.The results were too bad and the time consumed for encoding was more too!!!
  2. XviD was better than x264, but if the source was grainy the output was too. But encoding was fast
  3. DivX 6.6 not only gave better quality at same bitrates as above codecs, but also removed most of the grains and waves from the video and the video looked awesome.
So from my point of view DivX 6.6 wins hands-on (atleast for grainy TV recordings) :eek:hyeah:

EDIT: I checked the above codecs for 1500 Kbps / 2000 Kbps / 3000 Kbps bitrates...

@4dh1r - Whats your PC config.

On the fly TV encoding requires a lot of CPU power and H.264 is very heavy on the CPU so unless you have a powerful system dont think of H.264 for on the fly encoding , Divx or Xvid is your best option [set the encoding settings properly]

For me x264 with AAC has always been the best Digital Video Format if it comes to size with quality. Let it be a Music video, SitCom, or movies From HD Rips to a merely 300 MB Movie. Its always been the best.......
Just get the right codecs and softwares and configure it, u will never go back to another Format only if any superior one emerges in the future [Which will be there for sure]................

Quad Master said:
@4dh1r - Whats your PC config.
On the fly TV encoding requires a lot of CPU power and H.264 is very heavy on the CPU so unless you have a powerful system dont think of H.264 for on the fly encoding , Divx or Xvid is your best option [set the encoding settings properly]

C2D E6600 @ 3GHz, I don't encode on the fly (But yes DivX/XviD is best for on the fly, H.264 makes the TV go in slideshow mode). I use two pass encoding after recording in DVD (MPEG2) format. At low bitrates 264 gives blocks while DivX gives superb quality at the same bitrate, hence I prefer that... What I wanted to say is 264 gives much better quality than others if the source is clean and crisp (like a DVD/HD/Bluray) and if source is grainy and not sharp, then DivX 6.6 is best...

4dh1r said:
What I wanted to say is 264 gives much better quality than others if the source is clean and crisp (like a DVD/HD/Bluray) and if source is grainy and not sharp, then DivX 6.6 is best...

What you see is what you get , you can't expect to get a clear video from a grainy video source.

But yes Divx 6.6 Pro for on the fly.

Back