PC Peripherals Best 5.1 speakers under 5K?

For games, movies and music, I have shortlisted the following 5.1 speakers but if anyone knows of a better speaker system under 5k, please let me know.

1. Creative Inspire 5200
2. Altec Lansing 251
3. Mercury HT5800R
4. Creative PCWorks LX520
5. Intex IT4800W
6. Artis S5500R

Few days back i had gone over to Altec Lancing Distris to pick up a VS4121(Needed repairs) and i saw a newer 5.1 Model there... Something with an "i" somehwre... Try to find out about that...

@Chaos
Those are Altec Lansing 151i 5.1 Channel Speakers for Rs. 3000

@AnDy
You buy Altec Lansing 251 5.1 Channel Speakers for Rs. 4000

Last edited by a moderator:
Did think that the fight would be between Altech Lansing 251 and Creative Inspire 5200. Since everybody voted for 251, I am definitely going to get it. Thx.

This is my first post in this forum. I am planning to buy a altect lansing 251 for my philips DVD 5106k. I am not a serious audiophile. Mostly listen to trance or watch movies. What would be the recomendations be??

Thanks in advance

I guess the Altec 251 should be good enough.

If it is mainkly for movies then I guess the 251 it is.

but if it is more for music, then the ATP3. it is a 2.1 system and for music 2.1 is better than 5.1

But I dont know how you will connect it to the DVD player. I dont think the 251 has digital inputs...

Nikhil said:
I guess the Altec 251 should be good enough.

If it is mainkly for movies then I guess the 251 it is.

but if it is more for music, then the ATP3. it is a 2.1 system and for music 2.1 is better than 5.1

[B]But I dont know how you will connect it to the DVD player. I dont think the 251 has digital inputs...
[/B]

Well I got the speakers from Sp road on saturday, paid 4200 for the whole setup, But as you rightly mentioned, I cannot connect it to my dvd directly.

The only way I can do that is to take the jack which is meant to be used for headset or a portable cd player connect it to the headphone jack of my TV and then play the DVD, But i cannot swith to 5.1 mode, then three of the speakers does not work.

Can anyone tell me how to get this working please????:huh:

It won't work unless your DVD player has a Dolby Digital and/or DTS decoder onboard. Most entry level DVD players don't.

So, you'll get only stereo sound from your spks.

zpopudey, I have a philips 5106k, I think it comes with Dolby digital.. Can you please tell me what does it mean by a 5.1 setup?? is it dolby digital output that we are talking about??

The philips 5106k has a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder builtin. You'll find 6 jacks for audio output at the back. They are for front l/r, center, sub, surround l/r. So, you can directly connect a 5.1 speaker setup to this dvd player. But, only problem is that the connector on the dvd player is of RCA type, whereas the connector on your speakers is of "mini" type. Hence, they are incompatible. You'll need an "RCA to mini" convertor to connect your spks to your DVD player. Ask around in your local electronics shop. He might be able to help you.

Thanks a ton zhopudey, One more question if it is ok??? As you rightly mentioned, the connector's does not match.

There are two sets of wires, first one with one connector for the headset and the other one with two connectors, so when I do the "RCA to mini" conversion, which one should I select???

Also out of the 6jacks, which one should I select??

Knight Rider said:
[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

Well I got the speakers from Sp road on saturday, paid 4200 for the whole setup, But as you rightly mentioned, I cannot connect it to my dvd directly.

The only way I can do that is to take the jack which is meant to be used for headset or a portable cd player connect it to the headphone jack of my TV and then play the DVD, But i cannot swith to 5.1 mode, then three of the speakers does not work.

Can anyone tell me how to get this working please????:huh:

Check out http://vinylrecord.tripod.com/tutorials/home_theatre/index.htm

Back