Budget 15-20K "Best" Android phone for under 20k?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Can you guys give me some personal recommendations for the best phone under 20k? Regardless of the specs or brand or even what I want.
Please state your reasons for it if possible. I'm thinking of getting one during this Republic Day sale if possible.

I've also read the template and looked into my requirements and couldn't find a phone which I really like so I'll choose only the relevant info from the template (just for formality's sake).

1. Budget?
A: INR 20k max.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: FHD. Super AMOLED would be great (M51)

3. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G. Don't need 5G.

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: I like Moto for its stock Android. I used to hate Xiaomi phones for its MIUI interface and bloatwares. And Oppo, Vivo phones etc. I should mention that I don't know how to root phones.

5. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera, video recording and light gaming. I need 60fps for 1080p. Don't need 4k.

6. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual SIM with dedicated MicroSD card slot

7. New or Used?
A: New is preferred. Old is fine if I get a good deal on phones less than 2 years old with good battery life. 2+ years is a big NO. Especially those users who play games a lot and charge a hundred times a day.

8. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup. Nothing less than 5000mah battery if possible. Fewer options I know. Need SD730G chipset minimum.

9. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Samsung M51 has almost everything which I need. What it doesn't have are: 60fps video recording and stabilized video recording. Just these two
Moto Fusion Plus. But it doesn't have a dedicated MicroSD card slot. I want to add 128GB card. Also 5000mah battery. If it had 6000mah battery it would have been an instant pick.
Moto G9 Power. This was my first choice. But the the HD+ screen and lack of dedicated card slot hurt it.
I currently own a Moto G5+.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Just declare which phone you are choosing and put us out of our misery.

Wont happen.

The OP will keep postponing the decision until even the Samsung M51 (the phone closest to his/her requirement) will be discontinued, and we will see this thread continue for perpetuity, until one day we look back and say "Damn! Good old days, phones used to cost 20K back then. Now you cant even get a decent IEMs for that much".

Why not look at LG G8X?

Though it exceeds your budget by ₹5k but its a good phone if you can stretch your budget. If not, I'd stick with M51.
Funny coincidence because I mentioned G8X in my WTB thread here
The G8X was available for 19k during the Flipkart sale. The only reason I didn't buy it was the battery. And I was hoping for better phones in 2021 but so far nothing which I like so much.

Why not get a Poco X3 and flash a custom ROM like LineageOS? You don't need to root and its a simple process.
I need both SIM slots and an external card slot. 128GB won't be enough for my usage. I'm currently getting an offer for Poco F1 8GB/256GB. If I cannot make up my mind I plan to go for this F1.

Just for proof, Poco X3 has 1080 60fps... But then it's Assembled in India, has a hybrid sim.

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_154116.jpg
    IMG_20210122_154116.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 181
Yeah. I really REALLY wanted to go for Samsung this time. Btw I used GSMarena to check the specs and some info. GSMarena also says that the Poco F1 has 4k60fps and 1080p240fps but doesn't have 1080p60fps. Would I be able to capture fast moving objects in 240fps? Like birds flying or bees buzzing around. I need the video camera for such purpose.
A more serious issue of the M51 is the poor stabilization of video recording.
i mean 240fps is 4x 60fps. with 4x more frames captured, where is the concern vis-a-vis 60fps.

The G8X has excellent battery life man. My usage is on WiFi only and very rarely with dual screen. With single screen I get over 10hrs + SoT. I can even get 12 hrs but never tested. Accu Battery stats show 15hr as SoT. Because I am at home, I usually maintain the battery between 30-80 and with the G8X it is much easier due to wireless charging.

Since you mentioned videos, it has got rave reviews when it comes to it's video taking capabilities. And it also supports ASMR and Hi-Fi audio recording with filters for wind noise as well as gain settings. It's video capabilities are considered to be at par with iPhone 11 Pro from what I've heard. I rarely use the camera and yes it's picture taking abilities might not be the best, but for videos, it is one of the best.

I had very strict condition of a dedicated micro sd slot as well and had even purchased RN9 Pro Max back in August, but I jumped at the G8X when it came in sale and I just put the second sim in an old RN3 as that number is not used much. Trying to even get rid of the second number now.

I don't think that I mentioned wanting a phone with 5G.
I would have suggested you Moto One Fusion Plus but I am using this device and the camera quality is not really good. So Moto smartphones really go out of question.
I don't know about Samsung phones but I agree that Moto phones, at least Lenovo's Moto anyway, don't have good camera. But I'm not after the best camera. Just a phone with decent camera and 60fps recording. It's only to take nature photos and my wild adventures. As for Samsung I thought they have good cameras. They also have AMOLED so that's one of their perks. I don't know if it's because I've never owned a phone with AMOLED but I love AMOLED. It's beautiful.

Btw guys, I'm currently negotiating for a Poco F1 8GB/256GB. It's about two years old and is in good condition. I already have a pricing in mind but according to you guys what is a reasonable pricing for it?

Get the 8X man, the Poco F1 is 2 years old, they battery must have degraded considerably even in very good condition.
I'm also planning to get the 8X (it's OOS almost in every physical store in Vienna, a store possibly can arrange...waiting)
Done with Samsung. It's either LG or another Xiaomi for me. I may go back to Apple, but no Samsung for next few years.

JTL ( painfully honest tech) made a video about it ( LG's exit)
Too bad..only Samsung with their Exynos ( for Asia and EU market) Sure they have fixed the TOTL SOC for the Note21 ultra, but what about poor guys like me, who can't afford such expensive devices ( and don't need such power)?
Samsung releases a lot of mid range phones, but most of them are very bad ( practically unusable after a year)
There's a rumour floating around about SD card slot in next MBPs. If Apple does that, I will go back to that iron walled garden ( saves a lot of money in long run... gradually realising this bitter truth)

Get the 8X man, the Poco F1 is 2 years old, they battery must have degraded considerably even in very good condition.
I'm also planning to get the 8X (it's OOS almost in every physical store in Vienna, a store possibly can arrange...waiting)
Done with Samsung. It's either LG or another Xiaomi for me. I may go back to Apple, but no Samsung for next few years.
Just curious, you had recently got Samsung Note with a stylus if I recall and you were pretty happy. It met all your needs..
Why such a sudden change of heart against Samsung?

Back