Best deal anywhere in the universe

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
OK, so I went to Croma to buy a Tata Photon+ with Rs 2299 in my pocket but instead was ambushed with this incredible deal:

Buy Photon+ for Rs. 750/- and get one **** free for only Rs. X/-

So I couldn't resist... so what is that **** and how much X did I pay???

Got an Acer Aspire 5740 laptop for the "normal" price, no discounts/freebies except for a Philips headphone/mic headset.

What I actually went to buy will only arrive after a few days...

Specs:

3GB, 320GB, 15.6 inch 13xx/768 HD LED backlit, Core i3 330m 2.13 ghz, DVDRWDL, Wifi, BT, onboard (on-cpu actually) Intel HD graphics - this is the Arrandale platform I believe.

Pic:

aspire_1.JPG

Yep, going to install Ubuntu on it right away! This laptop is for my Aunt - I personally wanted to get the Sony E series similar model which is about the same price but will lower spec.

I understand what people mean by "build quality isnt as good as dell/sony" - its actually a quite decent (does not feel "solid" sure) and lightweight piece...

Now I challenge anyone (or anything) from the known universe to beat this deal :D

^^..Congrats. I guess the Xrs is rs. 32k?? I had read about this deal in few news papers yesterday I guess.

Yep have to agree with you the build quality is good for that price having used my friends 5740G. It does feel a little flimsy but i5 and ATI 5650 1GB for 44k its a steal.

Heh guess what, I came back from Croma a while back and had been there with a friend of mine to demo the 5740G with the i5/4GB DDR3/500GB/5650 1GB and a 40incher LCD (for me :p) and both of us have zeroed in on our respective purchases.

My friend was awestruck on the specs of the laptop and compared with few other models from Dell and Sony Vaio E series as well. A couple of more days and we will have the stuff in our hands. :p

Oh, congrats Vishal! :D

yea, i was (still am) thinking of getting Sony E series B12 model but its 2gb and windows7 home basic where this acer is win7 home premium and an LED screen so seems like a better deal. best part is i just booted ubuntu 10.04 beta1 and EVERYTHING works out of the box, intel on-gpu video (desktop effects), even wifi popped up a password box and connected right on the first boot!

Vishal sir congrats on getting such a cool laptop at a steal deal! I am seriously considering buying this laptop, but only after you tell me that ubuntu runs flawlessly on it. Ubuntu will run just fine on the on board integrated intel graphics but does it detect and utilize the super duper graphics card? Without that ubuntu will still be jerky at times

thank you @phoenix844884: ubuntu 10.04 recently got the ATI catalyst "fglrx" driver so if you take that model you should be fine, although current beta stage some users are experiencing minor issues. as for my model (with intel graphics) it is already working flawlessly! if you dont do hi-fi gaming this is the laptop to get.

and maybe if you wait a few months the price may even drop to around 30k or less which is like NETBOOK prices for 4 hyperthreads and large HD LED screen!

i know 720p video works smooth in win7 and ubuntu, yet to test full HD will report back later some time

edit: best thing is to take the ubuntu 10.04 (wait for beta2 release) live USB stick to the shop and simply boot the machine off it. you will immediately know how the video is working via open source "radeon" driver . :D

btw, dark star is expert on ATI/linux issues so check with him too...

Back