Best way to store electronics that aren't used for a long period

Digigear

Disciple
I have a smartphone Gimbal (Freevision Vilta-M Pro) that I got a couple of years ago. I've used it occasionally and now I no longer use it actively. I am just keeping it because I know the resale value in India is shit and I'd rather keep it in the event that I might like to have it in the future.

How do I store this for best care for the batteries? Should I store it discharged fully? Half-charged?

Is it ok to let it stay in the box for a couple of years? What happens if the battery poops out? Can I have it replaced?

photo_2021-07-19_10-39-37.jpg

i heard that for storing purpose it is best to drain the battery down to zero. But when we buy new products we get them with 70 percent charge most of the time.

I have a similar gimbal which I don't use regularly, I suggest taking it out and using it once in a while (every six months maybe?) is the trick. Hasn't gone bad on me yet.

I do the same with my 2013 iPad mini, different product, but still, works alright.

Though the thread is old now but might as well leave this info for others.
For storing electronics with battery keep them near 60-70% charge and after every 3 months charge them back to that level. Do not let it drain to 0 or forget about it as the batteries will die and won't hold charge anymore after certain time period.

1. If the product uses Li-Ion batteries, store them at roughly 50% +/- 10 charge. It stresses the battery the least.
2. If the item uses lead acid batteries, store them at 100% charge and frequently top it.
3. If there are no batteries, power it up every few months. Let it warm a little and power off.

Though the thread is old now but might as well leave this info for others.
For storing electronics with battery keep them near 60-70% charge and after every 3 months charge them back to that level. Do not let it drain to 0 or forget about it as the batteries will die and won't hold charge anymore after certain time period.
For Li-ion batteries, the range for storage is actually between 30-50%. That's what all power tools companies recommend and they use and have experience with storing batteries much more than electronics manufacturers.

Back