[BEWARE] Police Trap for Bikers on Mumbai-Pune expressway

raksrules

Elite
This is a true incident which my friend here described me today over lunch, something which happened with them over the weekend.
This is applicable particular to people who travel to Mumbai from Pune on Bike.
As you may be knowing that on the expressway bikes are not allowed but there is a particular patch after lonavala and between Khopoli exit where 2 wheelers are allowed on expressway.

This is what happened

My friend and his roomies picked up 2-3 bikes and left for Mumbai on bike from Pune. They reached on expressway at the section where one does an exit to Khopoli from the expressway. This is necessary since a 2 wheeler cannot be taken any ahead on the expressway. When the approached the exit, what they saw seemed to be a truck was turtled there probably because of an accident (but can be deliberate too). The policeman there directed them to continue on the main expressway because of this. Seeing no option my friends continued on the main expressway (which one should in a typical situation should not do). But in this case since the police man told them they had no choice. When they were just a kilometer or ahead on the expressway there stood about 10 policeman who 'caught' them for illegally riding the bike on expressway.
From each of my friends they asked to shell out 600 rupees. My friends were adamant on not paying since they never did anything wrong and they choose to sit there on the highway. Half an hour passed and these people observed that many other bikers were caught, while some paying money and left ahead, some joined them to sit there.

Just then one of my friend's there called his dad who works at some post in government and explained him the situation. He in turn called his RTO police friend who called my friend (who was sitting on highway). He asked my friend to handover the phone to one police man. Now what they had a talk, i dont know but the policemen gave them back their license and everything and also directed them about road ahead.

I would suggest anyone planning to go to Mumbai by road and specifically by bike should take notice of this.

Typial traffic/RTO people. They need money as they cant survice on 10k per mnth :D...everyone wants to make money or hordes of it these days :D

raksrules said:
I would suggest anyone planning to go to Mumbai by road and specifically by bike should take notice of this.
+1.
It is always good to know someone whose dad works at some post in government who has an RTO police friend.

Did anyone involved think about complaining regarding this or were they just happy to be let off?

It seems that the previous police mens who directed them to go straight through expressway is also involved in this scam. It's just a way out to get money :p

krishnandu said:
It seems that the previous police mens who directed them to go straight through expressway is also involved in this scam. It's just a way out to get money :p
Yeah they are involved.

When my friend told the policemen who caught them about another police guy directing them, they shrugged them off saying "woh sab hum nahi jaante" types :no:

raksrules said:
Yeah they are involved.

When my friend told the policemen who caught them about another police guy directing them, they shrugged them off saying "woh sab hum nahi jaante" types :no:
As guessed. Everyone will get their share. I think there was no accident too from where the policemen redirected them :p

To those who dont have any contacts never show fear on face and even if you are in hurry and have no option to pay.Ask for all the details like checking personally the card and batch number of the policemen.If possible try to take a picture of their license and photo on phone camera just to show you might be taking some ction in future.I know its risky but its all fear business the more you show fright the more you are looted.And if you have no contacts atleast the ball will come to their court as their main dhandi pani route will come under surveillance in future which they dont want. I am saying this because i try similar tricks at various tax,vat sales tax office as they are busy in need of bribe even though if you ready to pay legal penalty over some 100 year old rule.

Now an incident which my friend shared is that some 2 bikes skitted and hit his car on his way from panvel.And suddenly in 5 minutes6-8 officers arrived from nowhere and started harassing my friend as if he had done some accident but whereas the bike came from back of the car and hit it .

When asked whether they know what actually happened they were least interested plus took my

friends license was asking for some 4k bribe as penalty plus file a police case and bring the injures to hospital plus court case .Fortunately there was a gal in their car whose father was in RTO whom she contacted who in turn contacted some higher authority.Than they were given phone to talk and suddenly the main police chap rushes away from the spot saying he have to go because another big incident happened somewhere.And than the harasser turned beggars and kept asking for money.

My friend wasn't ready but still as the friend have already brought out him from the matter he paid them 300 buks.Even than they were not ready to relent but friend said either i pay this or ill take back this plus ill file a counter complain that they took 10k from him for bribe as he was already getting involved in a case getting involved into another wont be a problem as he will find another friend whose father will be a lawyer.

In short see from where to where the story moved.I asked my friend did he helped the bikers he said after the incident it wasnt the point to help .As seeing the way he was treated even helping would have created a whole from his pocket and plus even the bikers could have gone wild which we usually see in mumbai where thumb rule of even if its your mistake start hitting the other person to be on safe side.

Its really important to have contacts in RTO and police to survive.

This seems to be true incident , just that what my friend experienced was a little different. He was riding back from Pune on his bike from the old highway when these police guys directed him to Express way since some big tankers accident had caused a road-block (friend saw it ). Now this turned out to a dream come true for this guy cause he then covered Pune >Navi Mumbai in straight 45 minutes .He rides a Suzuki Bandit 1250S and was able to hit a max speed of 231 Kmph on the express way :O. Ohhh and he didn't tell me anything about police men catching him and fining for taking the express way .He just said that everyone was directed to the express way .

People who are paying those 'challans' are fools.

They should simply dig in their heels and question the police personnel. I have done that few times and gone without shelling out a single rupee. Ofc i did that when i had everything in order.. papers and conduct included.

These ppl very well know they are not honest, just need to be firm with these pricks.

Spacescreamer said:
People who are paying those 'challans' are fools.

They should simply dig in their heels and question the police personnel. I have done that few times and gone without shelling out a single rupee. Ofc i did that when i had everything in order.. papers and conduct included.

Here in mumbai this are real traffic cops.But they least interested in managing traffic mostly they are in corners behind some tree flirting with someone.And when you see a long traffic around and no one crossing and you think moving will ease the traffic as time is wasted nowhere from sudden he arrives as batman.

Reminded me of my first challan.Usually its 50 buks for 4 wheeler and 20 for 2 wheeler to go scoot free from challans. I had just learn driving.Suddenly a volvo in front of me broke signal while turning ,i thought my car moving behind i race it out.Suddenly i had done enough to be on middle of the road to realise what freaking stuff i did.As i was trying to gear back this chap signals me to come to him i drive there and explains to him what had happened and than started laughing loud as i was in lost sense.Than he was getting ready for challan i put my hand in pocket and fortunately that pocket had just 30 buks in it which i gave to the chap.He asked how much it is.I said 30 buks.He said it wont do.I said sir its your bony(first bakra of the day) time,you shouldnt argue on it.Than we both shared a light laugh.Than he was explaining me the signal working which i stated i know that all but it was you who called me to move and i did and than you pick me.In 2-3 minutes i was free with 30 buks damage.

Was really a laughable and experience learning event as my friends still cant believe i got free for 30 buks with a 4 wheeler.Most important stuff is not to be begging but convincing type with a pity face if officer is light on you with his tone,be harassing/threatning(in sense of using law against them rather than ill kill you type,else it will seriously backfire) when you see extreme injustice type

Back