Beware while shopping multiple items in mall/shops etc.

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends, some issue I encountered with very famous retail chain store, is that as the price/offer updated in shelf/display but same NOT UPDATED in Billing Department, so while billing, they print OLD & HIGHER PRICE only.
The product price (in shelf) was Rs.300/- and while matching price (of 30 different products) at home I found it Billing as Rs.450/-, after various headache/verbal spat they take back & refund.
So while buying many/various different items at offline stores/malls, keep Pen/Paper ready NOTE DOWN offer price and while at Billing counter start checking noted price with printed bill, if found discrepancy ask them to correct it, if not return that product on the spot.

Same story goes with other ONLINE Brand, while adding product price was Rs.398 and till the time I reach at cart (after 30/40 min) same product price increased to Rs.525

I picked up this habit from my mother — to check the price of each and every item on the bill before physically leaving the store. It gets tedious and annoys other customers but it shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

These billing discrepancies happen way too often and it's one of the reasons why I rarely go to physical shops anymore.

I picked up this habit from my mother — to check the price of each and every item on the bill before physically leaving the store. It gets tedious and annoys other customers but it shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

These billing discrepancies happen way too often and it's one of the reasons why I rarely go to physical shops anymore.
Can relate...and just to add my two cents.....I do understand that these things are bound to happen in any retail business, it's the complete ignorance of these retail chains that they do not have a swift process to expedite such tickets, as if these things are not possible. And that's why I use credit card, I have disputed 3 transactions in my life and won all 3 disputes. Only place I use UPI is shops where I know the owner personally. Rest is all credit card or cash, no better payment system if you value your money.

I'm constantly surprised by these posts on here and Reddit where things I thought were absolutely normal become LPTs.

How does anyone not check the bill after buying stuff? I always maintain a mental total, maybe to the nearest 10 for ease of recall, while buying stuff. Will double check the bill immediately after getting it, cursory glance if the total sounds ok, thorough check before payment itself if the total seems off.

I guess you have to come from money to have the habit of paying without even checking if you've been charged correctly.

I'm constantly surprised by these posts on here and Reddit where things I thought were absolutely normal become LPTs.

How does anyone not check the bill after buying stuff? I always maintain a mental total, maybe to the nearest 10 for ease of recall, while buying stuff. Will double check the bill immediately after getting it, cursory glance if the total sounds ok, thorough check before payment itself if the total seems off.

I guess you have to come from money to have the habit of paying without even checking if you've been charged correctly.
Absolutely correct, however sometimes that's not the whole story, imagine a retail store queue on a weekend or during a festival. You have to carefully weigh your options. The whole point is these stores having a bill dispute desk to either refund or just give a store coupon for small amounts. The crowd and ruckus of retail chains is too much for me and I switched to my local Kirana shops, at least I can fight peacefully :p

30-40 different items, in 4-5 bags in hand of 2 person, not possible to check at mall counter as at least 10-15 other shoppers are also behind you in line, plus no space to check out side of mall if you visit near by festival days.

30-40 different items, in 4-5 bags in hand of 2 person, not possible to check at mall counter as at least 10-15 other shoppers are also behind you in line, plus no space to check out side of mall if you visit near by festival days.
Yup on top of that imagine your spouse/kids beside you, it's a lot going on.

I guess I just don't shop this way. I usually don't buy more than 8-10 items at a time because I don't have a car and can't carry more than 12-15 Kg in an auto/bike.

It is, of course, difficult to do a thorough check if you have 40-50 items. But it's also a given than errors do happen. Retail stores would be maintaining an inventory of thousands of items and are largely run by unskilled employees with only a couple of managers. You can't expect them to have six sigma levels of perfection.

One solution could be to divide the item in two lots of slightly different sizes and ask them to create separate bills, first for the larger lot, then for the smaller. Then while they bill the smaller lot, you can verify the bill for the larger lot. That way you'll have fewer items to check at the end.

Or just keep an eye on the item prices when they're adding. Most shops will have a screen to show the price of the item just scanned.

I have this habit of checking mrp, discounted price and also expiry dates for foods and medicines since school days.

The issue mentioned by OP is a very common practice in the famous Ambani's Reliance Smart store where they will easily over-charge you as they feel all customers are purely fool and can actually easily fooled!

Me and wife had many arguments on the final bill with the reliance counter guys and manager on been over-charged and to have it rectified. And then got refunded for the excessively charged money.

We always ensure that post payments, we do a recheck on all the items in the bill ensuring we have been charged appropriately and applicable discounts given wherever mentioned or wherever we have seen for those specific items.

Its our duty not to just walk-away like a lame-ass from any mall/shop but to go through the bills and get it rectified if you identify you have been over-charged or say cheated!

Thats why they say

Jago Grahak Jago

I think that mistake was done PURPOSEFULLY as it's not possible that in Digital System you just have 2 price for ONE PRODUCT, one for on shelf & other for Billing Counter, after all in such store price fixed via Barcode or Product Code/Number only.

This is a common mistake (tactic?) from big chains that i saw recently. I made it a practice to cross check the bill after one such experience.

Back