Monitors Big monitors big bundle of questions. .

Hello all. . I hav plenty of questions to all the techies here. . I am a newbie when it comes to monitors. . Wanna buy a big screen lookin for 24" wide screen with budget 12-14k lesser the price better:)
1. Should i buy LCD OR LED ?
2. Advantages of led over lcd other than it saves bout 50% power?
3. What is this 50000:1 ratios ? Does it mean higher the better ? How much difference wil it make compared to 40000:1 ?
4. Should i buy higher resolution monitor or bigger size one ? [dell sp2309w has 2048*1156]
5. How to spot dead pixle ?
6. What is back light bleeding ?
7. How much difference does it make 2ms compared 5ms ?
8. What is anti ghosting ?
9. Which is better matt screen or glossy screen ?? Wat is the advantages if screen is glossy or matt ?
10. What does 2ms gtg mean [native response is 5ms but has 2ms gtg wat does this mean?]
it would be really helpful if you guys answer in point wise oly. .
I have 3 monitors in mind tell me how good they are
1.benq g2420[offers hdmi,dvi vga 40000:1,5ms price 11k]
2.benq e2420[2hdmi port dvi vga 4usb 50000:1 2ms gtg, inbuilt speakers]
3. Dell sp2309w[ 2ms 80000:1 2usb audio jack] .. Gonna buy this diwali. I stay in banglore. Do tell me best place to buy in blore. Any of u guys interested can come along with me while buying or if u hav any contacts n get me a good price too. . Thankx in advance. . Make my dewali spl guys. . Plz. .

hi

i will try to answer the questions to the best of my abilities

1)led is generally better but not much of a difference

2)led means the backlighting will be more evenly spread out vs regular lcd

3)contrast ratios mean the diffence between the brightest and the darkest spot on the screen

4)buy a bigger monitor but with good resolution. i would suggest 1920x1080 (16:9 widescreen) or 1920 by 1200 (16:10)

5)a dead pixel will be a spot tht is always dark or does not display the correct color it is suppose to

6)back light bleeding is when the backlight is not evenly spread across the screen causing some areas to be brighter than others

7)generally upto 5ms is ok but after that ghosting generally occurs

8)no idea about anti-ghosting

9)i would say matt but the diffence is simple. matt screens are basically non reflective so they are better if you have a light source behind you. glossy screens are better if there is no light behind you

10)g2g means response time from gray to gray

again i would say go for the benq e2420hd

it is a excellent monitor for its price

Thanks mokshu for phata phat reply. . E2420 costs 13k. Does e series mean economy series or gaming or entertainment ? Wat does g2420 mean ? G means gaming ? M not sure ! Wat is grey to grey ?

kaneunderground said:
Thanks mokshu for phata phat reply. . E2420 costs 13k. Does e series mean economy series or gaming or entertainment ? Wat does g2420 mean ? G means gaming ? M not sure ! Wat is grey to grey ?
Benq G2420HD costs 11.5k. I just purchased it couple of weeks ago(not grey). A very very vfm monitor. Nothing much difference in the letters G,E ..its the model i.e., 24xx that matters.

Some users do not have good words to say about Benq A.S.S.
So take an informed decision about the service quality in your locality.
Dell is known for their premium A.S.S.
Rest is your choice. :)

Not worried bout service. . Consumer court will also help if they act like morons. . I am only worried about performance vs price. . According to one site g means economy . E means gaming.

i do not know wht either e or g mean but i do know that the panels in both of those monitors are the same

the only difference is the additional features like speakers and usb ports

as far as g2g is i cannot describe it to u

u would be able to find a lot of information on google i guess

enjoy bro

:)

moksh4u2 said:
hi
i will try to answer the questions to the best of my abilities

1)led is generally better but not much of a difference
2)led means the backlighting will be more evenly spread out vs regular lcd
3)contrast ratios mean the diffence between the brightest and the darkest spot on the screen
4)buy a bigger monitor but with good resolution. i would suggest 1920x1080 (16:9 widescreen) or 1920 by 1200 (16:10)
5)a dead pixel will be a spot tht is always dark or does not display the correct color it is suppose to
6)back light bleeding is when the backlight is not evenly spread across the screen causing some areas to be brighter than others
7)generally upto 5ms is ok but after that ghosting generally occurs
8)no idea about anti-ghosting
9)i would say matt but the diffence is simple. matt screens are basically non reflective so they are better if you have a light source behind you. glossy screens are better if there is no light behind you
10)g2g means response time from gray to gray

again i would say go for the benq e2420hd
it is a excellent monitor for its price

i will try to correct you where you are very wrong
1. No hi-end( remember Hi-end NEC grade) monitors CCFL offers much brigter image, the best LCDs are CCFL, offer better colour because in CCFL the whiteness is natural, with LEDits not. LED LCDs are thinner. NOte: better LCD panels are less prone to bcklight bleeding so a brighter backlight can be employed, thats why for low end LED is better, hiend CCFL.

2. only when LED backlighting is not edge lit.

5. dead pixel can be of any colour ( genrally white), its the pixel that has stopped responding to the controller.

6.THIS is where you are very wong: Back light bleeding is the light that escapes out even when its not suposed, resulting in a dull black reproduction instead of pitchblack. this happens because all LCD are back lit and the LCD panel acts as a filter that prodi=uces the image form white light, so when black is tobe prodused the LCD turns opaque, but still some light escapes, this is backlight bleeding. the light bleeds out. Note that backlight bleeding affects the picture quality not just blacks , in black its clearl visible.

to the OP: how much is your budget?

rather than creating a separate thread, i think there wont be problem if i ask one question here as well...

Whats the status of current developement of 3D LCD (+ LED) monitors?

strategy said:
i will try to correct you where you are very wrong

1. No hi-end( remember Hi-end NEC grade) monitors CCFL offers much brigter image, the best LCDs are CCFL, offer better colour because in CCFL the whiteness is natural, with LEDits not. LED LCDs are thinner. NOte: better LCD panels are less prone to bcklight bleeding so a brighter backlight can be employed, thats why for low end LED is better, hiend CCFL.

2. only when LED backlighting is not edge lit.

5. dead pixel can be of any colour ( genrally white), its the pixel that has stopped responding to the controller.

6.THIS is where you are very wong: Back light bleeding is the light that escapes out even when its not suposed, resulting in a dull black reproduction instead of pitchblack. this happens because all LCD are back lit and the LCD panel acts as a filter that prodi=uces the image form white light, so when black is tobe prodused the LCD turns opaque, but still some light escapes, this is backlight bleeding. the light bleeds out. Note that backlight bleeding affects the picture quality not just blacks , in black its clearl visible.

to the OP: how much is your budget?
thank you for correcting me

cheers :)

Very helpful. . Thanks guys. . My budget is anything between 12k to 14k. . :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I hav come down to this two monitors now benq g/e 2420hd oly difference is 5ms / 2ms . 40000:1 to 50000:1[anyvisible difference ??]
e = 2hdmi , 4usb's.
11.4k /13k . Paying 1.5 more worth it or not for e series?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I hav come down to this two monitors now benq g/e 2420hd oly difference is 5ms / 2ms . 40000:1 to 50000:1[anyvisible difference ??]
e = 2hdmi , 4usb's.
11.4k /13k . Paying 1.5 more worth it or not for e series?

What are you looking for HDMI/DVI/VGA/Audio ports , benq users have complained after 2 years that screen starts showing dead pixels.

Looking for best options n reliabity. . Wil buy ps3 too next year cuz it can play blue ray... All monitor wil produce dead pixle after certain years of usage right ?

Back