Blackberry 8520

amitmk

Adept
Considering purchase of this phone. Not done too much research. Just know it is arnd 13500 and have seen a friends phone once. Haven't been able to figure out if the phone is as user friendly as Nokia phones.

I normally use a mobile for calls, net/mails, gtalk, MP3s, FM (which i know no BB has)
Any complaints abt this phone? Any trackball issues??

Dont want to buy the higer end BBs coz i hate spending too much money on mobile phones.

Currently using the Nokia E63 and super happy with it. Wanna change the cell for kicks.

Well BB 8520 doesn't have a trackball...it has a trackpad...so no trackball issue...You won't be able to use GPRS/EDGE data plans on Blackberry AFAIK...you have to subscribe for BIS/BES for for that...which is quite costly...

Konquerror said:
You won't be able to use GPRS/EDGE data plans on Blackberry AFAIK...you have to subscribe for BIS/BES for for that...which is quite costly...
said it right bro , thats one disadvantage of bb phones, gprs plans not available :(

BTW if brand is not a prob then u could also try samsung b7320 omnia pro

coolguy010 said:
said it right bro , thats one disadvantage of bb phones, gprs plans not available :(

BTW if brand is not a prob then u could also try samsung b7320 omnia pro
Is the Samsung OS user friendly now? The earlier Samsung phones were pretty tough as compared to a Nokia.

amitmk said:
Is the Samsung OS user friendly now? The earlier Samsung phones were pretty tough as compared to a Nokia.
Samsung B7320 is Windows Mobile...it's doesn't contains proprietary Samsung OS...so interface is kind of OK...

BB 8520 also had a manufacturing defect of types with the trackpad in that it's not very firm and jiggles about (which you will not see in the high-end 9700). Other than that lack of gps, expensive BB services (Rs. 1,100 a month) and low-resolution screen are the only major drawbacks.

vebk said:
BB 8520 also had a manufacturing defect of types with the trackpad in that it's not very firm and jiggles about (which you will not see in the high-end 9700). Other than that lack of gps, expensive BB services (Rs. 1,100 a month) and low-resolution screen are the only major drawbacks.
Those are pretty major drawbacks i'd say.
Been using the Nokia E62 and have no reason to complain abt anything.

BB 9700, etc are way way above what i'd ever spend on a cell phone. Would rather spend that on Home theatre upgradation, new PC graphics card, etc but never on a cell phone.

Back