Body composition measurement scales and smart scales

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Are the body composition measurement scales useful and reliable. I feel it is OK if they are not completely accurate but as long as they are reliable they can be used to track body progress. Similarly what are your views on the smart scales. Do you own any and what has been your experience and recommendation. I am on the lookout for a weighing scale and these things caught my fancy.

I have used a body composition measurement scale at a hospital during a regular health check. You had to stand on the scale hold a wired handle in your hands for measurement. So I wonder if the ones which only rely on base are less accurate and reliable?

The most accurate measurement of human body is during an autopsy.

All other methods use external physical factors and are basically guesstimates.

Your bone structure and density and subcutaneous lipid quantity are some of the things that make an accurate guess impossible.

There are better ways to guess at the ratio of visceral to subcutaneous fat, and overall BMI. Blood glucose/Leptin ratio are one excellent method to determine overall metabolic rate, and this can then be coupled to your weight and dimensions of various body parts to come up with a target number.

So the answer is yes and no. If you're OK with an approximate number then the smart scale is probably helpful. If you're looking for exact numbers, don't bother with the extra money.

I am using Mi Body Composition Scale from last 2 years. It can break down your muscle mass, fat, protein and water percentage. It can prove to be really helpful if one is on diet or a weight loss goal by tracking if the weight you are loosing is from your muscles or fat. Keep in mind that all these are approximate numbers.

I have the body composition scale from Eufy which is an Anker brand. These scales based on bioelectrical impedance analysis are not going to be close to accurate but they are good for following the trend. The readings might vary between people, but the change is minimal for the same person over several years, so you are just as good getting a weighing scale that syncs with the phone.

May be it doesn't matter to most, but I had considered the Mi Scale initially but for the fact that the data syncs to the Chinese servers which was a red-flag for me. Anker is Shenzen-based but they sell the product primarily in the US and the data servers are also in the US, subject to US laws which makes it a bit more reassuring. Really don't need the Chinese government to know me even better.

I am looking for a simple weighing machine. Which is known to be the most accurate? Dr. Trust, Omron etc.? Also, are these weight machines able to weigh other products as well?

I have the body composition scale from Eufy which is an Anker brand. These scales based on bioelectrical impedance analysis are not going to be close to accurate but they are good for following the trend. The readings might vary between people, but the change is minimal for the same person over several years, so you are just as good getting a weighing scale that syncs with the phone.
I am considering that scale itself. It's not as expensive as the other impedance once with similar capabilities.

Me too looking for a good quality body composition scale for my mother.

PS: Not looking for industrial-grade scales. Just need one that works in home for long term tracking.
I am looking for a simple weighing machine. Which is known to be the most accurate? Dr. Trust, Omron etc.? Also, are these weight machines able to weigh other products as well?
For a dumb scale, look for HealthSense models. I have one and is working very well for more than 5 years.
I am considering that scale itself. It's not as expensive as the other impedance once with similar capabilities.
This one? https://www.amazon.in/eufy-Smart-Sc...LF9M/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07N1CLF9M&psc=1

Me too looking for a good quality body composition scale for my mother.

PS: Not looking for industrial-grade scales. Just need one that works in home for long term tracking.

For a dumb scale, look for HealthSense models. I have one and is working very well for more than 5 years.

This one? https://www.amazon.in/eufy-Smart-Sc...LF9M/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07N1CLF9M&psc=1
Yeah, I have the model from last year which looks a bit different but is also called the P1.

Got the device an hour ago. Had to just install/login the app and pop the batteries in the scale. It was connected to my phone automatically and showing me the live movement of numbers on the scale and the app. Extremely convenient!

The weighing scale is reliable as I took my weight multiple times and there was zero variation. Other family members also tried it.

I can also say that it is accurate as my weight has not varied more than 0.5 Kgs in last 10 years. Sure enough it was within the expected range. In retrospect, I can apply for a quality check job for weighing machines. :smirk:

Got the device an hour ago. Had to just install/login the app and pop the batteries in the scale. It was connected to my phone automatically and showing me the live movement of numbers on the scale and the app. Extremely convenient!

The weighing scale is reliable as I took my weight multiple times and there was zero variation. Other family members also tried it.

I can also say that it is accurate as my weight has not varied more than 0.5 Kgs in last 10 years. Sure enough it was within the expected range. In retrospect, I can apply for a quality check job for weighing machines. :smirk:
Lol. Are those other measurements correct? Without passing current through the body from hands to feet. Aren't they just approximating the rest of the stuff?

Does it work with Google Fit without installing a 3rd party app?

Lol. Are those other measurements correct? Without passing current through the body from hands to feet. Aren't they just approximating the rest of the stuff?
They are just approximations and good enough for tracking trends, not absolutes. There are foot to foot and hand to foot impedance scales. This one is foot to foot.

No, you have to install the Eufy app to record the weight on phone. It will push the results to Fitbit and Google Fit, if enabled.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-21 at 12.40.51 PM.jpeg

It is using bioelectrical impedance analysis as I mentioned previously, so it does pass a weak current and has four electrodes at each corner.

You need to install the Eufy app and then connect to Fitbit or with Apple Health/Google Fit within the app depending on the platform. That is how any app works on iOS/Android.

I personally feel digital is the way to go and analog literally sucks!
I try 2-3 diff. scales and most of them come 99%% accurate on average. I donw own any but I whenever I visit my doc I try at his clinic, then at the medical shop and then at my neighbors place :p

Back