Boom Shiva Redux

superczar

Skilled
Finally, I managed to get this done.
For those who remember, I was trying to setup a AV Room with a 5.1 setup while retaining my ability to play stereo over my existing setup:

The current setup is now based off:

Amplifiers:

• Marantz PM-17 Reference Signature Mk-II Amplifier - Drives the front L/R
  • Marantz SR 6300 AVR - Drives the center/surrounds and provides LFE out

Speakers

• Front L/R: Phase Technology Velocity V12
  • Center: An old B&W 2000 IFS
  • Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW Pro 500
  • Surrounds: Crappy old pair of Aiwa midi system speakers

To do

• Replace the small rug with a larger one to prevent on floor reflections
  • Replace beanbag with recliners
  • Setup RC dimmer on the lights

Source
  • HTPC -> M-Audio -> Optical in on AVR
  • HTPC -> M-Audio -> Analog in on Integrated Amp

Switching to 2 channel mode is done by either:
  • Switching the AVR to Source direct mode
  • Fliipping the Integrated Amp to Line 2
I was never much of a believer in 5.1, but watching movies in a decently done 5.1 is a lot of fun :hap2:

hehe congrats, so you've finally got it set up .. will need a demo one day for sure:D

Heh I had bought 12 AWG MX Cables on a whim the other day. Sounded pretty muddy compared to the existing 100 bux per meter jamo cable I had. MX interconnects are decent but for a high end speaker like this, I'd stay away from their speaker cables. For lower resolution systems, MX is perfectly acceptable.

Got a pair of AudioQuest Jaguar CV-4 with active shielding yesterday on loan from a friend. Its significantly better than anything else I've heard in my system. Cables do help but its senseless to spend on cables when bottlenecks are elsewhere.

I still have my reservations about the supposed effects of speaker cables but since I have never done any ABX on them, I shall not comment :D

Perhaps I'll pester you Chaos to bring your cables along when you come to chennai the next time :p

Matching the sub levels took a lot of time, but it was worth it...

Now I cannot hear the subs at all, but when I switch off the sub (from the AVR menu) and direct the LFE to the fronts, something goes amiss :hap2:

Now here is a question....Anyone knows where I can get a good deal on a pair of recliners ?

Ahh, the center came from one of the used Audio dealers in Ritchie

I picked it after trying out several at home before I cld get the closest tonal match with my existing towers

superczar said:
Ahh, the center came from one of the used Audio dealers in Ritchie

I picked it after trying out several at home before I cld get the closest tonal match with my existing towers

Do these used audio dealers carry floorstander/bookshelf speakers as well?

Very nice, worth the effort. IMO cabling makes a big difference particularly in bringing out the hidden ambient sounds in movies and the highs in music.

Back