CPU/Mobo Brand new CPU overheating

Aeternus

Recruit
Hi,

I have read a lot of posts on forums related to CPU overheating, but none of them seem to solve my issue. So I'm posting my problem here. Any help is immensely appreciated.

I recently assembled my first pc. I am using fx-6300 cpu and and gigabyte 970a-ds3p motherboard. I am also using the stock cooler that comes with the cpu for cooling. I had been facing overheating problems from the very beginning. At first I thought this might be because of lack of proper airflow in the case (CM elite 431 plus).

I tidied up the cables and replaced fans with better and bigger intake fans for more airflow.
I upgraded the thermal paste to arctic silver 5. Here are the final results. I am using AMD Overdrive:
On idle the thermal margin varies from 50C to 40C.
While playing CS GO the thermal margin drops below 10C

That is not the only strange thing happening. I have been monitoring the idle system for some time and one of the six core randomly shoots up to 50-80% usage for a few seconds and comes back to 0-2%. This leads to a further drop in thermal margin by 10C. Is this normal?

Here are the temps from HWMonitor for idle and full load using prime95. I switched off the computer after it reached 78C.
Idle.JPG
load.JPG

fx-6300 cpu with stock cooler is not over heater but a water heater...:D:D:D

So need to use good water cooling or air cooling solution to counter the heat generated by such CPU.

PS: Even non-k Haswell is good at raising temps when Turbo Clock is enabled.

fx-6300 cpu with stock cooler is not over heater but a water heater...:D:D:D

So need to use good water cooling or air cooling solution to counter the heat generated by such CPU.

PS: Even non-k Haswell is good at raising temps when Turbo Clock is enabled.

I have disabled the turbo clock from bios. The temperatures are after the cpu is operating at the base clock speed of 3.5 GHz.
Also I did not expect it to be super cool or something. But the temperatures reach above 70C when playing CSGO for 10mins.
Is aircooler really going to make that much of a difference that temperature at load drops down below 70C from 78C?? Even the idle temperatures seem too high :(

Load temps of 70c-80c are normal (even after 10 mins of playing)
Your idle temps of 47c-50c seems about 10c higher than it should be.
I tidied up the cables and replaced fans with better and bigger intake fans for more airflow.
I would suggest you have more fans dedicated to exhaust than intake i.e. try to keep have negative pressure within the case.

If your cpu crosses 45c in less than 5 mins from boot (assuming no programs are opened) then it might be a problem with the cpu.

My non-k Haswell CPU temps reaches max and the system restarts if I enable Turbo Boost otherwise they run at 70 degrees celsius also. I am planning to get best mid-range air cooling for my setup.

My non-k Haswell CPU temps reaches max and the system restarts if I enable Turbo Boost otherwise they run at 70 degrees celsius also. I am planning to get best mid-range air cooling for my setup.
Are cpu's these days really running that hot?
I have an ancient e5700 that's been oc'ed from 3 to 3.3 using the stock air cooler and it only crosses 70 under load. it idles at ~40c (i admit it has a lower tdp but still...)
@bssunil : maybe ambient temps are high in hyderabad. im in bangalore and my system is used only at night when temps drop, so that could be a factor.

Are cpu's these days really running that hot?
I have an ancient e5700 that's been oc'ed from 3 to 3.3 using the stock air cooler and it only crosses 70 under load. it idles at ~40c (i admit it has a lower tdp but still...)
@bssunil : maybe ambient temps are high in hyderabad. im in bangalore and my system is used only at night when temps drop, so that could be a factor.

I dont know about any other temps, all I am worried is that if my CPU reaches its threshold and starts melting if I enable Turbo Boost, then what...
My CPU Stock Speed is 3.1GHz => OCed Speed is 3.8GHz although it is a low TDP CPU just 65 watts. If I OC it then it will run at 80 watts TDP but then stock cooler cannot hold it under manageable limits.

My CPU Stock Speed is 3.1GHz => OCed Speed is 3.8GHz
Well no wonder you have high temps - you've oc'ed more than 20% using stock cooler.
Bring it down to 3.4-3.5 ghz if you're worried about melting your cpu.

@OP: how long does it take for your cpu to hit 50c after booting it up?

@Crapmypants: I already have two 120mm CM exhaust fans in my case, and due to the structure of the case(elite 431 plus) they are very close to the cpu itself.

When the system is left idle, the temps keep fluctuating between 40C to 50C. By the time I log in to windows, the temperature is already 40C+.

I use AMD overdrive for noting the temps. I have been monitoring the idle system for some time and one of the six core randomly shoots up to 50-80% usage for a few seconds and comes back to 0-2%. This causes the temps to go above 50C in idle state for some time. Is this normal?

I can't really say what's causing the sudden and high core usage. it could possibly be some malware/spyware.
Check for rogue programs or services running in the background.

I can't really say what's causing the sudden and high core usage. it could possibly be some malware/spyware.
Check for rogue programs or services running in the background.
I checked for the process utilising the cpu when the core usage rises suddenly. It seems it's a mixture of OS processes and AMD overdrive. I don't think it's any malware or a rouge program that using up my cpu. Can it be that my cpu is faulty, or do some processes use that much cpu

Are your CPU fan speeds correct? Under load the speed should ramp up to 3000-5000 rpm but yours seem to rotate at between 1300-1400 rpm.
After you pointed this out I went and checked into bios. I disabled the silent mode for the cpu fan. The cpu fan speed that my bios shows is above 3600 rpm. When I start windows it drops down to 2200 rpm on idle and 2800rpm on load.
Also my bios shows that my cpu tem is fixed at 35C. Whereas, from windows it's showing temps at idle in late 40c to early 50c.

Try a couple of things:
1) Stress the CPU and see if the fan speed ramps up and the temps stay reasonable.
2) Try setting the fan speed to 100% and see if it makes a difference to idle temps.

I stress tested the cpu with prime 95, the fan speed rose up to 2800rpm according to HWmonitor and the temp shown after one minute of it was 75C when I stopped the stress test. I have disabled cpu fan speed control from the bios and it's running at the full speed. The idle temps lie between 40 to 50C.

1) Before applying Arctic Silver, did you clean the old thermal paste off properly?
2) Most online reports say that the stock fan runs at 5000+ RPM, so either you've got a new heatsink/fan combo, or your fan isn't working properly or your motherboards connector is loose/defective. What's the fan speed in the BIO's?
3) Does running the CPU with the side panels open or on open bench make a significant difference to the temps? If so, then there's something wrong with your case airflow.
4) Are you sure that the cooler's seated properly?
5) How much thermal paste did you apply? Putting too much could be a reason for the high temps.

1) Before applying Arctic Silver, did you clean the old thermal paste off properly?
2) Most online reports say that the stock fan runs at 5000+ RPM, so either you've got a new heatsink/fan combo, or your fan isn't working properly or your motherboards connector is loose/defective. What's the fan speed in the BIO's?
3) Does running the CPU with the side panels open or on open bench make a significant difference to the temps? If so, then there's something wrong with your case airflow.
4) Are you sure that the cooler's seated properly?
5) How much thermal paste did you apply? Putting too much could be a reason for the high temps.

1) I cleaned up the cpu and the heatsink the best i could using the isopropyl alcohol I got from local medical store.
2) The bios shows my cpu fan speed at 3600rpm when any kind of fan speed control has been diabled. The cpu temps shown by bios are 35C.
3) I tried running the cpu with the side pannels open but that did not make any difference to the cpu temps.
4) This is my first build. attaching the heatsink seemed easy enough but I don't know how to check if it's seated correctly. It's seems pretty tight and the hooks on the heatsink are fixed to the brackets on the motherboard but I can still move it very little.
5) I had seen a few tutorials on youtube.com before applying the thermal paste. I used the pea method. the amount of thermal paste is a little less than size of a pea seed. That much seemed right.

Back