Broadband over BlueToooth

dsarosh

Adept
Hi,
This is a kind of continuation thread of my previous post regarding bsnl WiFi modems.
I got some very helpful ideas from you guys, and I am thankful.

I would like to find out from you guys the possibility of getting internet on my netbook through BlueTooth. I have no experience in this regard, I dont even know which is the part I should buy; it is called a 'blue tooth device' or a 'bluetooth modem', how much does it cost, etc, etc?

I have connected my netbook to two mobile phones via blue tooth and transferred some images from the phone to my netbook. The process seemed very fast.

So here are my questions:

1) What is the Blue Tooth device I need to buy and fix in my PC so that my PC and my netbook are always connected wirelessly? What is it called? How much does it cost?
2) MOST IMPORTANTLY: once my netbook is connected to my PC via bluetooth, can i share the internet connection of my PC on my netbook? I will install the required software such as server software, or proxy software, or which software is required.
3) I noticed all the blue tooth devices have "modem options" so I guess itis possible to configure a bluetooth device as a modem.
I would really appreciate some help in this regard since I have no prior knowledge or experience about bluetooth.
Thanks,
Sarosh.

1. An USB Bluetooth Dongle.

2. Assuming your netbook has WiFi, simply connect to your PC's Wifi modem.

3. Yes, the bluetooth device should act as a modem for the host.

For Eg: A mobile phone acting as a modem for a PC via BT.

Wait for more inputs. :)

Thanks very much,

Any idea about how much this dongle cost?

I was thinking about a WiFi modem, but one of the biggest advantage with the bluetooth is i can transfer files from my pc to my netbook over the bluetooth. I cant do this with a wifi modem.

If I can just put a bluetooth device in my PC and then share the internet through the bluetooth on my netbook, that would be perfect solution.

II will wait for more replies, thanks very much.

P.S. currently my PC has no bluetooth nor any WiFi options. Even my bsnl modem has no wiFi options in it.

well u can transfer files over wifi too.

setting up bluetooth connection is cheap as u need only one blue-tooth dongle {rs 200} but the main disadvantages are,

1. u need to keep on ur main computer(pc) to route ur internet connection to ur netbook

2. file transfer speed is slow like 12 minutes to transfer 100 megabytes

3. if u r using internet over blue-tooth then transferring a file may not be possible or may disrupt ur internet connection.

setting up wifi is easy and hassle free but costly, as u need to buy wifi router+modem, don't know the exact cost but will be btw 2.5k to 3k and all the disadvantages of bluetooth are not with wifi plus u get better file transfer speeds like 100megabytes in 30 sec

Hi,

Can you please give me a url with an image/description of a blue tooth dongle? Will it connect to the pci slot on my motherboard, or a usb port?

Once i connect this dongle into my pc, I will be able to get internet access on my notebook through wifi, right?

It seems that bluetooth is what I need, because it will only be a one time investment. With wifi I will have to buy a modem plus pay Rs.150/- more each month.

Please tell me little bit more about this bluetooth dongle - is it usb or pci? And also after I fix this dongle into my PC, what softwre I need to share the internet on my netbook?

thanks very much.

man its not like what u think,
first of all weather u share ur connection with wifi or bluetooth u don't have to pay any charges monthly unless ur renting a wifi modem and router.
bluetooth dongle is usb, easily available at local computer hardware or mobile repair shops.
bluetooth_usb_dongle-V2_0.jpg
bluetooth_dongle.jpg

Now i don't now how exactly to share an internet connection over bluetooth connection but little bit of googleing will help.:)
btw, which netbook u have??

dsarosh said:
Hi,
Once i connect this dongle into my pc, I will be able to get internet access on my notebook through wifi, right?

man from where did u get this thought :huh::huh:
bluetooth and wifi cant be interconnected
BT with BT
wifi with wifi

i would anyday suggest wifi over bluetooth

Suggestion: Not everyone reads your "previous posts" so whenever you refer to such post kindly post urls

Q1) Is it a must for you to use blue tooth, can't you use built-in wifi/wifi pcmcia card and connect to wifi router ?

now answers to your questions:

1)bluetooth dongle costs ~150rs

2) You can share your internet over bluetooth. The way I know is creating private network using bluesoleil and then share internet either via third party proxy application or Windows ICS.

3) Bluetooth dongle doesn't have an inbuilt modem so can't be used as one.

Hi,

I'm just back from the shop and I purchased a "vista ready" bluetooth dongle for Rs.170/-

I transferred a 1.5MB zip folder in about 7-8 seconds, so I think the speeds are pretty acceptable.

Now I have to experement and figure out how to get internet access on my netbook.

I had actually seen the bluetooth dongles all over the place, but I didnt realize it would be so simple to share internet connections. I was expecting it to be more complicated.

So now all that is left is for me to set up the internet. I am experementing with the local area connections, and the last error i got was "IP address is not set".

Thanks for the help and the explanations about blue tooth, I didnt expect it to be so simple, honestly.

I will google and figure out how to get internet through the blue tooth, but if someone has some tips/tricks/suggestions to make it easier for me, I would appreciate that a lot.

Thanks very much.

Sarosh.

Hi,
I feel like I am 95% there, and only 5% remaining.
Please take a look at the below screenshot, this was taken on the netbook and transfered to the PC via bluethooth and then posted here.

I feel that all I need to do is enter the correct IP address and correct gateaway address, etc, etc, and I will have internet access on my netbook.
I tried entering the same information on my netbook as was on my pc (192.168.1.3) but that didnt work.

If someone can guide me from this step forward about how to configure the internet on my netbook, that wouldbe awesome.
Thanks again.
Sarosh.

It will be better if you buy a Wi-Fi router. As you already own a modem, you dont need to buy a router+modem combo device, only a router will suffice.
You have to connect your modem to an ethernet port on the router and your PC to another port. Your netbook will connect to the router via Wi-Fi or you can connect it using an Ethernet cable also.

I think a low end router is available for less than 2k in the market.
Sharing an internet connection via bluetooth may not be very easy. The bluetooth on your netbook may not be compatible with the Blue Soleil software that came with the bluetooth dongle that you bought. In that case it might be difficult to create a private network.
The modem option that you see in the Bluetooth options if for using a mobile phone connected via Bluetooth to be used as a modem for you netbook/PC.

The disadvantages of using Bluetooth to share an internet connection is that the range of Bluetooth is very low. Also you will always have to keep your desktop on.

Using a Wi-Fi router is a much cheaper and economical(in the long run) way to share your internet connection.

You guys were right about bluetooth not being suitable for internet. But it cost only Rs.170/- so it's not a big loss.

I think I had confused WiMax with WiFi earlier. My current scheme is Rs.1350/- per month unlimited 512kbps. So if i change my modem to a WiFi modem, I will still use my existing scheme of Rs.1350/- month only and just buy a new modem that will allow lan connection and blueTooth connection to my PC and netbook respectively at the same time.

I thought the equivalent WiFi charges for 512kbps was 1500Rs/month, but I think that was WiMax.

Can someone please confirm that all I need is a new modem, and then with this new modem I will still continue to pay the exact same monthly charges as I have been previously?

Regards,

Sarosh.

dsarosh DUDE! Man I didn't read all your posts fully as their composition was giving me headache. :S Seriously what I believe is that you and many other new guys here are running around the forum as mada$$ lorries.

Folks, you type so much, it won't kill you to just search the forum a bit.

You could've saved yourself the trouble and other forum members if you've looked hard enough in the forum itself. :mad: Here's where you should've gone first of all, http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/browsing-net-mobile-using-bluetooth-pcs-66750.html. The problems faced by most new guys have already been sorted out by forum members earlier. :cool2:

REDUCE the REDUNDANCY of Threads! :mad: Now I know what Sorcy was feeling when he made that video.

As for WiFi modem, it costs only 1600, the BSNL one and you get 1 year warranty from BSNL itself. I have the same 1350UL plan(512Kbps) and the WiFi modem. It provides basic connectivity for SoHo(Small Office home Office) networks and I run a notebook(Dell Studio 15), a netbook(Lenovo S10) and a WiFi phone(Nokia E51), all over the place using the modem's single Access point.

P.S- Dude, do some market research before shopping. Its your money, save it or burn it. 170 bucks for USB Bluetooth dongle :O ! U got robbed man, big time. I got Orchid USB Bluetooth dongle for 80 bucks back in October 2009. Be careful in future. :cool2:

Ryunosuke said:
dsarosh DUDE! Man I didn't read all your posts fully as their composition was giving me headache. :S Seriously what I believe is that you and many other new guys here are running around the forum as mada$$ lorries.
Folks it you type so much, it won't kill you to just search the forum a bit.
You could've saved yourself the trouble and other forum members if you've looked hard enough in the forum itself. :mad: Here's where you should've gone first of all, http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/browsing-net-mobile-using-bluetooth-pcs-66750.html. The problems faced by most new guys have already been sorted out by forum members earlier. :cool2:
REDUCE the REDUNDANCY of Threads! :mad: Now I know what Sorcy was feeling when he made that video.
As for WiFi modem, it costs only 1600, the BSNL one and you get 1 year warranty from BSNL itself. I have the same 1350UL plan(512Kbps) and the WiFi modem. It provides basic connectivity for SoHo(Small Office home Office) networks and I run a notebook(Dell Studio 15), a netbook(Lenovo S10) and a WiFi phone(Nokia E51), all over the place using the modem's single Access point.
P.S- Dude, do some market research before shopping. Its your money, save it or burn it. 170 bucks for USB Bluetooth dongle :O ! U got robbed man, big time. I got Orchid USB Bluetooth dongle for 80 bucks back in October 2009. Be careful in future. :cool2:
If you don't like people to discuss and learn through discussion, that is fine.
I thought some Indian forums would be more friendly to each other, but guess I was wrong. Some people like to learn by reading, some people like to learn by discussing (like me). If there is no place on this forum for new users to discuss and talk, then I wont post here, You can keep this forum for gurus-only.

BTW, I did all the research and the BSNL modem cost 1600Rs and a private modem cost 3000Rs. But going by my past experience I am going to buy the private modem from my friend (hardware dealer).
And I paid Rs. 160/- for that dongle because that was the price printed on the dongle, and it had Win7 support. I could have bargained for 20 mins with the sales people to give me a Rs.80/- bluetooth dongle, but I dont do that stuff.

Anyway, I will find another forum where I can discuss more and I can find more humble and friendly people there.

See, you took it all in negative form. Discuss your arse off here mate, we will do same with you but all we ask here is that like you research before buying, please also do research before posting. :cool2:

If you do so then you will easily get clear and conscience solution as it would give us the idea of what type of problem you are facing, what remedies you have done for it and what errors can be ruled out. Trust me it will save your and our time too. Its the simple funda, help us to help you. If we know what sort of things you have already done, some vague suggestions can be easily skipped.

Making a thread about already existing problem-solution not only increase the site's load but also increases the moderation and administration effort of our Mods and Admins.

As for buying the item for what was printed, lemme tell you something bro, whatever is the printed price is, its M.R.P, maximum retail price. It includes all the taxes and dealer's cut and whatever the other tax is included. To bargain on M.R.P is your right. Jaago Grahak Jaago! :eek:hyeah: As for Windows 7 support, its just a marketing gimmick and you fell for it. :rofl: Most of the USB devices are using same drivers since Windows XP, only WIDCOMM and some other Bluetooth drivers have been refreshed and as for driver support, remember this my friend, if you've got Internet and know how to google, you've got support. :cool2: I still advise you to go the WiFi way, any problems, ask away but in designated threads and legible composition. If you still want Blue tooth option then read that thread also.

I know you like to learn by discussing, not by reading but irony of fate here my friend is that what we discuss here, has to be read also :bleh: so unless you using some text-to-speech kinda thing, I suggest u to start reading also. :cool2:

As for leaving the forum or discussion, Sir, I ain't the TE's official Pitbull here. I don't intend or aim to fend off new comers and n00bs. Hell compared to ur D.O.J, I'm the n00b here.

^^ Ryuno,Hush!

The OP is relatively new to the forums and a mild suggestion about the search feature would have done. You'll scare him off like that. :p

@Dsarosh,

You can still use the bluetooth dongle as a medium to share the internet. All you'll need to do is to go to your LAN adapter's properties, select the 'sharing' tab and proceed to click on the 'share this internet connection'. As the bluetooth dongle you just got, you must have gotten the BT modem driver Installed in your PC with the CD supplied. Now you just need to pair your netbook to the PC's BT adapter and configure its network adapter similarly.

For more info, look here.

Jons Guides: Bluetooth Help Guide: ICS Sharing

Arihant

First answer the following questions :

1. How long have you been subscribed to BSNL ??

2. Which modem did they give you ?

3. How is your desktop connected to your modem ?

Now, the reason people suggest WiFi over BT is that its way more fast and convenient to work with. Trust me, if you are in Win 7, you are just few clicks away to create networks or sharing internet. I have the Type IV ( i.e. WiFi + 4 Ethernet port, cost me 1600/- ) BSNL router/modem. I tried file sharing, remote desktop, network sharing etc and everything worked fine. I got near 2.6-3.5 MBps transfer rate at about 20m far.

Again, do you move your laptop much from your desktop in your home ? If not, I'd just advise to get a LAN card for your desktop and you are good to go. I got 11.5MBps speed using a general CAT5 cable between my desktop and laptop. CAT6 could multiply the speed as both the machine has Gigabit LAN chip.

If you decide the connectivity options and issues, I may post a complete guide for you to setup a network for file/print/net sharing. Its really easy and most of the members know that. :)

@Ryunosuke

I couldn't rep you buddy as I've to spread some. :p But that post was sweetly composed as well as made me laugh for a few secs. :D I'll resume my streaming server thread soon. ;)

sabby said:
@Ryunosuke

I couldn't rep you buddy as I've to spread some. :p But that post was sweetly composed as well as made me laugh for a few secs. :D I'll resume my streaming server thread soon. ;)

I'm glad that atleast somebody got its true meaning, I was afraid that some Mod/Admin might ban me thinking that I'm the activist of T.E.N.S(Tech Enclave Navnirmaan Sena) here :ashamed:

Regarding the Streaming Server thread, just tell me that did it worked for you or you still facing problems? :cool2:

1) I have this current bsnl connection for 4-5 years now.

2) I opted for the cheapest bsnl modem, SmartAX MT882. There were costlier options available, but I never thought I would be buying a laptop or netbook 5 yeas ago.

3) My desktop is connected through the lan/ethernet cable. I can't get the bsnl USB drivers to work neither on Vista nor on Win7, neither on the netbook nor on the PC.

After I reached this stage:

I felt that almost 90% of the setup was complete,and all I needed was to enter the correct IP address, gateway, etc and I would get an internet connection.

You can see in the above image that "BlueTooth network connection" has already been set up. All I need is the correct settings for the internet to work.

I still get the feeling that maybe if I click that blue link and enter the correct details, I would get the internet connectivity.

Following the tutorial which the other member gave me, I could reach up to a certain level. When the tutorial said "create an advanced network" then I was lost because there is no such option under Win7.

I am attaching the screen shots which show the available options.I have tried all the options but none of them allow me to use the communications link which I created.

The above 2 screen shots list all the possible options while creating a new connection/network on Win7. Which one should I select so that I can use the communications cable created?

The BSNL connection u have, what mode is it in, Bridging or PPPoE? As for your LAN connectivity,for my n00bness sake can u tell me if u have activated and calibrated ICS settings?

I and many other would still suggest you to go for the Wireless modem of BSNL, costs 1600 bucks and setup is very easy and you will like it a hell lot more because its got:

1. Speed,operating in 802.11g mode, u can easily get upto 10Mbps. Far greater than Bluetooth.
  2. Range, theoretically Bluetooth's range is 10meters but due to interferences in a household, range is not more than 2-3 meters. Whilst in case of WiFi u get good speeds even upto 50 meters of LOS connectivity and 10-15 meters Zone 2 connection.
  3. Reliability, you can protect your network using various security mechanisms like 802.11x, WPA2, WEP-2(128-bit one) while in case of Bluetooth, connection is not reliable at all, u can easily get Bluejacked and the connection itself is prone to dropping.

I suggest that if you want to try the Bluetooth mechanism for Internet connectivity for experimental and personal know-how sake, do it but for general all-purpose use, go for WiFi. Don't trust me, trust other forum members, you won't regret it, you will like it and once its active and functioning, you will even think that "How the hell was I living without it ?"

:cool2:

http://itrash.ru/idb/698ccd76afc4977fbdfcc48ddefbf8d2/oIMG00024.jpg.html

http://itrash.ru/idb/698ccd76afc4977fbdfcc48ddefbf8d2/oIMG00017.jpg.html

I agree with you and all the other members in this forum, and I am definitely going to get a WiFi modem. Just the prospect of getting wireless internet on my netbook by spending Rs.200/- got me very tempted and greedy. But I guess nothing good is really comes for cheap, and I will have to invest in a WiFi modem.

The above 2 screenshots are to answer your questions. I power on my modem and within 1 min I am connected to the net. I dont need to enter any username or password, so I am guessing my modem is not configured as Bridge mode.

As for your second question about ICS, if you tell me where/how to look in Vista/Win7 I will look and tell you.

Many of the options and suggests available on the net do not always apply for Vista and Win7. For example, one place offered a very simple solution to simply right click on my lan connection icon, go to the sharing tab, and enable sharing of that connection.

However, my lan connection icon has no sharing tab and no sharing options whatsoever.

Another suggestion was to select the lan and bluetooth network icon and right click on the icons and "bridge" them. However, there is no such option for me in Win7 nor in Vista.

Anyway, it was fun learning these last few days. I even set up the PAN and i could link the netbook and the pc. I explored options of controling the PC through the netbook, listening to radio, streaming music from the pc to the netbook, etc, etc.

But what I wanted most was to get the internet on the netbook wirelessly, and this is what I simply cant get to work.

I had never used BlueTooth before, and now i agree with what others have said here. BlueTooth simply isn't suitable. Sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes for the file transfers to even initiate over BlueTooth. So I am definitely dumping blueTooth and going to get myself a WiFi modem within the next couple of weeks.

Just another newbie question:after i get the WiFi modem can I use it to transfer files from/to the netboook and the pc? So besides having internet connection, can I also connect the PC and the netbook to share files and data wirelessly using the WiFi modem?

Thanks again for all that answered.

Back