Laptops Broke Macbook Air display - Apple asking 40k

Hey, cool, that's a life lesson you got there.

Attached is my own life lesson: the last (new) laptop I bought from Apple — a 17" powerhouse imported from the US that died 23 months later.

Sold it for a quarter of what I paid to someone who was going back to the US. He ended up getting a newer but slower/smaller model through Apple Care.

Attachments

• IMG_20240830_194416_021.JPG
    IMG_20240830_194416_021.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 45
My cousin was sitting on the corner of his bed using his iPad. It was plugged in and the power socket was right above him. His mother asked for the charger, he unplugged and extended the wire towards her. The power brick was lose, it got unplugged and fell on the iPad. That small mistake cost him 28k.

If you buy Apple, you're supposed to take care of it. If you trip with a baby in one hand and apple hardware in the other, protect the apple hardware, baby will heal...

Yeah ig. Everyone loves Apple until you want to repair something.

Worst part is I actually just need the LCD display unit. replaced nothing else. But they actually change the entire top half of the laptop for some reason. No other option.

I also read that Apple numbers their parts with serial codes so that a particular part works only with one system. So if I were to purchase and install the display myself, even if it was original, I’ll be losing some display features like True Tone.

Attached is my own life lesson: the last (new) laptop I bought from Apple — a 17" powerhouse imported from the US that died 23 months later.
That is quite surprising to hear given I did similar with an HP Spectre back in 2017 and its still going strong save for the numbers 0-4 not registering any more. It's on its third battery change currently.
Sold it for a quarter of what I paid to someone who was going back to the US. He ended up getting a newer but slower/smaller model through Apple Care.
Suppose that was the best you could do.

Hey, cool, that's a life lesson you got there.

apple does have international warranty afaik, it didnt work in this case?

Worst part is I actually just need the LCD display unit. replaced nothing else. But they actually change the entire top half of the laptop for some reason. No other option.
It's because they glue everything down instead of using screws. If the repair tech couldn't take it apart properly then the possibility of something breaking apart is higher. Tabs breaking, plastic bits breaking etc. Apple themselves are to be blamed for using glue instead of screws since they did it because they didn't want others to repair their stuff.

It's because they glue everything down instead of using screws. If the repair tech couldn't take it apart properly then the possibility of something breaking apart is higher. Tabs breaking, plastic bits breaking etc. Apple themselves are to be blamed for using glue instead of screws since they did it because they didn't want others to repair their stuff.
they did it for "thinner" and "sleeker" looks, peeps have forgotten why older laptops (and machines in general) are still working and newer ones break even if you look at them wrong. OEMs have been doing away with robustness in the name of "thinner", "sleeker" for years now. I dont have the video on hand but I did see a repair guy on YT discusssing this in the context of laptop hinges and how they have progressively become weaker because OEM's want to reduce more and more space in laptops

The thinner look is the "we are not bad" reason. Just look at pcb's, micro usb or usb c ports inside the laptop - they are all connected to the chassis with screws. Even the security torx bits were designed to stop people from repair. Now they go a step further and match serial numbers on spares so that one spare from one phone cannot be used in another phone without their program.

My cousin was sitting on the corner of his bed using his iPad. It was plugged in and the power socket was right above him. His mother asked for the charger, he unplugged and extended the wire towards her. The power brick was lose, it got unplugged and fell on the iPad. That small mistake cost him 28k.

If you buy Apple, you're supposed to take care of it. If you trip with a baby in one hand and apple hardware in the other, protect the apple hardware, baby will heal...
That was very hilarious. I almost fell down my chair laughing while going thru the post using my iPad.

Back