bsnl 3G how to

prasanthsd

Disciple
Hi guys

I had a prepaid 2G sim from bsnl. I had sent the SMS and converted it to a 3G SIM. Now 123# says that im having 3G general plan 120. I have a 5800 and I had selected UTMS mode instead of dual.

My question is how do I activate any data plan. Went to the BSNL office and they told me to go to any mobile shop and recharge for the prescribed amount say 275. Will this work?

From the BSNL website it seems like the 3G data recharge is separately sold from normal recharge. Also the online recharge site is not able to recharge to my number when i select 3G data recharge option. I get the error "Sorry you are not eligible for 3G Recharge".

Edit: Also I send a another SMS (I dont remember what exactly). I got various configs like bsnlmms, bsnlnet etc. I used bsnlnet and I can connect to the internet. When connected to the PC I got around 8KBps. The mobile is working in UTMS mode. So is this cause of the connectivity in my area or can the mobile use GPRS on UTMS mode?

Thanks in advance

The second sms that you sent to receive the bsnlnet, bsnlmms settings was I guess for the GPRS connection settings only.

So you're connecting via GPRS as of now.

Not sure about the 3G issue, but I'm sure someone who knows will reply here.

Been using 3G for a while. BSNLNET is the correct setting for accessing the net. To activate a data plan simply go to a BSNL Shoppe (franchise) and ask them for a list of all BSNL 3G plans and then select from them. This is the easiest to do as most of the other streetside vendors don't have any idea on BSNL's 3G recharges & would guide you wrong.
AFA the online BSNL recharge is concerned, even I get the same error while recharging. Guessing it's a problem on BSNL's end with certain circles. (I'm in UP(E) circle btw).

Also try going to your local BSNL site & they might be having an updated list of all the recharges available as a PDF to download. (Betting on this as the UP(E) site has it.)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

As far as the speed is concerned, it all depends on your area network. The place where I live in gives me roughly 40-50 kbps downloading speed whereas the moment I go to another area 3 kms away from my house, I get a speed bump to 150-200 kbps. So it's very much network sensitive.

1. Check your balance

2. Recharges Rs. 275 for .5gb with 30 days vailidity

3. Your balance should be same as before recharge and should not reduce your balance after using internet.

Back