BSNL 3G Thread

DarkAngel

Skilled
Even before the competition has set their foot in, BSNL seems to be gearing up for the battle for 3G supremacy. The company has just announced a revision of its pricing for its unlimited plans for prepaid and post paid subscribers.

The fixed charge applicable for post paid customers has been sharply reduced to Rs. 1,359 from the earlier Rs. 2,499. As for pre paid users, recharge vouchers which now cost Rs. 1,499 from the earlier Rs. 2,756.

If that was not all, there are brand new short term validity vouchers announced. These cost Rs. 10, Rs. 25 and Rs. 50 which offer 20MB worth of data download for one day, 25 MB for three days and 100MB worth of data download for seven days respectively.

These new tariffs would be valid starting September 22.

Techtree.com India > News > Telecom > BSNL Slashes 3G Data Pricing

Thats a really big price cut from BSNL. Rs.1359+TAX/Rs.1499(tax inclusive) is really a very good pricing for Unlimited 3G usage for 30 days :)

BSNL Slashes 3G Prices, Unlimited Usage At Just Rs.1359

Edit: Prices have dipped even more now to as low as Rs.700 per month* for unlimited 3G access :D,

Amount in Rs. (Incl. of S. Tax @ 10.3%) Validity

Rs.2000 60 Days

Rs.2500 90 Days

Rs.4200 180 Days

The amount mentioned above will be charged through RCVs.

This offer will remain open for a promotional period of 90 days from 01.11.2010.

BSNL 3G Data Tarrif

Edit: Sadly BSNL has stopped the above mentioned unlimited plans. Still the Ipad and Blackberry unlimited plans seems to work (Rs.991 or Rs.999) Check the last few pages of the thread for more details and user experiences.

Excellent pricing ! Now please get pan India coverage and i mean it ! Even in B Towns n Highways where it'll be really useful while travelling else we can always find a wifi hotspot :p

Again depends on how much coverage you get. Just get a free BSNL 3G sim and do a First recharge of Rs 120. That gives some free usage of 200 MB or so ....so you can check out the speeds. I get very good signal at my home and average speeds are around 1.8~2.2 Mbps with peaks of 3 Mbps or so at night !

Here is a speedtest result :p

http://www.speedtest.net/result/958233973.png

That is really awesome pricing. Had a bad experience with BSNL 3G service when I checked last. Gave 250-400kbps irrespective of 2G/3G sim. Maybe will try again. Any idea on how is the voip quality on 3G?

Supra, if u attach an external antenna with ur Huawei data card and if u download from HTTP site(RS/MU/HF etc), u can get better speeds if i am correct. BTW which plan are u using?By far how much downloaded MAX in a day?

I think for speed it's the same case as evdo, less no of user better speed and when user increases speed will surely decrease. Nothing can be compared to wired connection(stable connection all the time.)And with 3g, u can't get good video streaming, gaming not possible and these days 3g is having so much problems in Bihar/from kolkata(frequent speed drops to 50KBps(WCDMA) and disconnections). 3g is only meant for downloading and downloading IF U ARE IN GOOD COVERAGE AREA.

Now my BSNL EVDO data card is lying idle because EVDO coverage reduced due to overload and BSNL isn't paying attention to their EVDO networks.

Supra, if u attach an external antenna with ur Huawei data card and if u download from HTTP site(RS/MU/HF etc), u can get better speeds if i am correct. BTW which plan are u using?By far how much downloaded MAX in a day?

I think for speed it's the same case as evdo, less no of user better speed and when user increases speed will surely decrease. Nothing can be compared to wired connection(stable connection all the time.)And with 3g, u can't get good video streaming, gaming not possible and these days 3g is having so much problems in Bihar/from kolkata(frequent speed drops to 50KBps(WCDMA) and disconnections). 3g is only meant for downloading and downloading IF U ARE IN GOOD COVERAGE AREA.

Now my BSNL EVDO data card is lying idle because EVDO coverage reduced due to overload and BSNL isn't paying attention to their EVDO networks.

BSNL sucks in Kolkata bigtime somehow ! Here 3G in Bangalore has been awesome at least in last 6 months ! even with 1 bar I get 100 KB/s when I am in office on my Nokia 5230

I dont game at least online and as of uploads 300 kbps or so upload is good enough :p

Btw youtube 720p works fine which didn't work properly with my BSNL wired 2 Mbps plan :p

That's the same case with me, with single bar I had 125kBps speed in my PPC. But when I bought 3g data card(Huawei E156G) and attached antenna in it, i got 2.5 times the speed. Because when I bought EVDO device I used to get low signal and tried nearly every type of antenna I found. BTW 3g work good when u are in 0-1km range area and one of BSNL Engineer told me that they have restricted speed upto 3mbps(so no 3.6mbps D/L possible), so that's the max speed(3mbps) we can get continuously.

@SpaceVoid, It's so simple. Install Nokia PC suite, Connect ur mobile to PC with data cable, It will install modem driver for ur phone. Just create a connection in ur PC with *99# as dial-up no. and bsnlnet as APN, Click Connect and u will be in the 3g world. :D

Its a CRC9 antenna connector easily found in ebay Chinesese/Hong Kong sellers. I am getting almost 97% signal so I guess it wont help me much :p

@hayabusa_ryu .... thanks for the help. I have a 5230 and a bsnl 2g sim which I have converted to 3g by sending sms "act 3g" some months back.Now I havent got any prepaid 3g data plans. So what I did was connected the mobile to pc via bluetooth and connected to internet by using apn as "bsnlnet". I get max 30KB/s (stable is some 22-25KB/s). I downloaded some 2 MB of data and was charged 2 rupees for it.Dont know whats going on.I get Full Reception bar with 3.5G written on the 5230 display. Do i have to get a 3g sim to avail full speed ? Please advice.

Yeah it's CRC9 connector. But what I found in my condition is that antenna works. My nearest 3g tower is clearly visible and is 600m far from my house, and in my case b4 antenna signal 99%-100% speed low,after antenna signal 95%-100% speed 2.5 times. I am just sharing my experience and maybe antennas wont work in many cases.

@SpaceVoid, I can't tell much about a converted sim since I haven't used it. When i didn't have 3g data card i used my phone as bluetooth modem with 3g sim I got 50kBps speed but with data cable i got 100kBps. I don't think this case is happening with u but just mentioned it and u should check how much speed u are getting in ur phone. If speed is more in phone like above 50-60KBps, u are getting 3.5(3.6mbps wala 3g) but maybe coverage problem and if u getting less than 45-40kBps u are getting WCDMA and less than 32kBps u are getting EDGE/WCDMA. IMHO I think one should get 3g SIM to avail full speed(I remember somewhere in internet a BSNL JTO was talking on this, he said to buy a 3g SIM) but i may not be correct.

which 3g modem you guys are using? i have shorlisted the Huawei E122 (3 Branded) - rated speeds of 7.2/2 UL . it has an external antennae connector , are there any other models available with antenna connector?

Back