Bsnl 900 uld ?

saidu

Disciple
Folks,

I had ULF 1100 please till last december [ 2 MPBS till 10GB and then 256 KBPS] and I was able to see youtube videos without any delay or buffering. Effective January, I moved to ULD 900 [ 4MBPS till 8 GB and then 256 KBPS ] and now youtube keep buffering all the time and max I can see continously is 10 sec at a time.

speedtest.net says that 1.75 MBPS download speed and 200 kbps upload speed. Any clues ?

Thanks
Saidu

saidu said:
Folks,

I had ULF 1100 please till last december [ 2 MPBS till 10GB and then 256 KBPS] and I was able to see youtube videos without any delay or buffering. Effective January, I moved to ULD 900 [ 4MBPS till 68 GB and then 256 KBPS ] and now youtube keep buffering all the time and max I can see continously is 10 sec at a time.

speedtest.net says that 1.75 MBPS download speed and 200 kbps upload speed. Any clues ?

Thanks
Saidu

the BSNL ULD900 plan is actually 4 Mbps till 8GB then 256kbps AFAIK, which browser do you use for youtube?

chrome gives best speed in youtube for me.

Sorry..typo..corrected..

But even with 1.75 MBPS, youtube should stream.. Isn't it ?

I am using IE8 as the browser.

1.75 Mbps <= 256Kbps which means speed is quite less for even a 240p video to buffer more than 10sec, either you have reached the FUP or some other usage issue, contact bsnl in case u have not used up 8GB data.

saidu said:
Sorry..typo..corrected..

But even with 1.75 MBPS, youtube should stream.. Isn't it ?

Yes, But only if you get constant speed which is equal or above to minimum required speed. But in most cases, you never get a constant speed.

Further, Speedtest can be misleading for streaming video. do a Video Steaming Test and see what is the actual speed you are getting on youtube. follow the link and click "Show Test Video". the current speed is updated every second and shown near http and in the next line it shows the minimum required speed which is variable too. if the your current speed fails below the minimum required speed, then video would buffer. so for example, in this screen shot below, the minimum required speed is 329kbps and my actual speed is way more that at 657kbps. so I will enjoy streaming video without buffering.

Hope, I was able to explain properly

Link:YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Many a times even though you have a good bandwidth you dont get good speed. Youtube is used a lot and it could be that somewhere along the way bsnl server/bandwidth is choking while everything else goes smooth.

Also I've noticed on docomo gprs, when I used to stream video on youtube app, there was flawless playback I mean almost no buffering. That I believe is cause they might have special servers for youtube and other big sites.

With you tube streaming video test, I observed that the speed changes continously.. THe sequence is that

0..1xx..2xx..3xx...4xx..5xx..6xx..7xx..8xx..9xx..3xx..1xx..0..1xx

The same pattern repeats for every 20 seconds and youtube starts buffering when the speed drops to zero.

Back